Roch provides update on Os search for pitching

Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They should have anticipated them being really good the last 2 years. It’s a shame they didn’t make being better a bigger priority.

Lets hope they don’t continue to make that mistake this offseason.

NOBODY anticipated them being a 500 team in 2022 haha! Optimistic outlook going into 2023 was a wild card team and I am fine with the resources put into that team.  I say this with the expectation that those unused resources are directed at future trades and payroll as this team continues to improve and compete for championships over the next several years. 

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

NOBODY anticipated them being a 500 team in 2022 haha! Optimistic outlook going into 2023 was a wild card team and I am fine with the resources put into that team.  I say this with the expectation that those unused resources are directed at future trades and payroll as this team continues to improve and compete for championships over the next several years. 

It’s the path I said they should have been in on a few years ago.

I always earmarked 2022 as a 500 season and 2023 as a playoff contention season.

Now, since the Os didn’t feel that way and didn’t do enough to make the team better, I didn’t believe they would be 500 going into that 2022 season but they absolutely should have been.  That should have always been the plan from day 1 of the rebuild.

• Haha 1

I wonder if Elias is both not including our top 3 AND not sweetening a deal with Povich or McDermott? I think it's possible that he actually loves those two guys as pitching prospects and won't include them.

Really, looking at the talent in this org, my guess is his personal top 10 values guys like those two and DeLeon more than guys like Cowser and Ortiz. I'm just speculating of course, but his lens is colored by the O's needs, I'd think.

15 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I wonder if Elias is both not including our top 3 AND not sweetening a deal with Povich or McDermott? I think it's possible that he actually loves those two guys as pitching prospects and won't include them.

Really, looking at the talent in this org, my guess is his personal top 10 values guys like those two and DeLeon more than guys like Cowser and Ortiz. I'm just speculating of course, but his lens is colored by the O's needs, I'd think.

Just as a point of clarification, do you mean positional needs? Or do you mean skillset needs? Or maybe both? Just want to understand your train of thought here.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s the path I said they should have been in on a few years ago.

I always earmarked 2022 as a 500 season and 2023 as a playoff contention season.

Now, since the Os didn’t feel that way and didn’t do enough to make the team better, I didn’t believe they would be 500 going into that 2022 season but they absolutely should have been.  That should have always been the plan from day 1 of the rebuild.

Oh for Pete's sake.  Elias and his team have managed the rebuild brilliantly.  Brilliantly!  He doesn't become obsessed with acquiring a certain player or getting rid of a certain player at all costs, as some seem to suggest he should do.  Elias has a very good handle on both what is needed and what we have.  He seems to have a clear view of organization management, acquisition, and development.  He seems to have an understanding of player and prospect value.  Kremer is a very solid rotation piece, not a sub-par guy that needs to be dumped.  Elias is looking for a good #2 or #3, but not as an upgrade for Kremer, which would still leave the rotation a man short.  Yes, I am much happier with the course Elias continues to take than the obsession-driven rantings of certain fans.  Will every single move he makes work out perfectly?  Of course not, but I have far more reliance on his plan and his decisions than if he were obsessive and panic-stricken.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Oh for Pete's sake.  Elias and his team have managed the rebuild brilliantly.  Brilliantly!  He doesn't become obsessed with acquiring a certain player or getting rid of a certain player at all costs, as some seem to suggest he should do.  Elias has a very good handle on both what is needed and what we have.  He seems to have a clear view of organization management, acquisition, and development.  He seems to have an understanding of player and prospect value.  Kremer is a very solid rotation piece, not a sub-par guy that needs to be dumped.  Elias is looking for a good #2 or #3, but not as an upgrade for Kremer, which would still leave the rotation a man short.  Yes, I am much happier with the course Elias continues to take than the obsession-driven rantings of certain fans.  Will every single move he makes work out perfectly?  Of course not, but I have far more reliance on his plan and his decisions than if he were obsessive and panic-stricken.

And the O’s not making moves to make the team better in 2022 was due to an owner that was unwilling to spend, not Elias. 

35 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Just as a point of clarification, do you mean positional needs? Or do you mean skillset needs? Or maybe both? Just want to understand your train of thought here.

Yeah. I'm saying that his top 10 might not be a pure math output describing future value. I think we're all saying that every time we suggest he trades our positional depth for pitchers, so I'm not exactly breaking new ground here. On the other hand, our ability to quantify how good guys like Povich and McDermott will end up *might* undersell them relative to what Elias thinks his development programs can get out of them.

Bradish is the example. He was a nice prospect. Now he's better than that. So perhaps Elias thinks his young arms are actually better than public consensus. 

• Upvote 1