Nolan Reimold

bsblontz3217

For a guy like Nolan with several holes in his game both offensively and defensively, along with some very plus skills (power bat and power arm), it seems that his value will be maximized only if he stays primarily in RF -- not shifted to 1B, LF, DH, or anywhere else. And last time I looked, the O's have a pretty good RF. (What's that guy's name?)

Ultimately, I think the best plan for the O's as well as for Nolan is for him to go to Norfolk, stay exclusively in RF, have a monster breakout year, and then be dangled a year from now for that elusive SS of the future.

Habor Park is not a good place to project a monster year for a righthanded power hitter. I would be quite happy with just a solid year.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just realized how old Reimold is, 25, some of his best hitting is probably going to be wasted in the minor leagues at this point and how much longer is he even going to have prospect status? The more I think about it the more one of Scott, Montanez or Reimold should be traded for a SP, right away.

Habor Park is not a good place to project a monster year for a righthanded power hitter. I would be quite happy with just a solid year.

We just need to redefine what constitutes a "monster year." Put it this way, he needs to do more than Knott and House did in Norfolk in 2007, and more than Montanez does this year, if he wants to rise. Salazar proved you can put up pretty good numbers at Norfolk.

This isn't directed towards anyone... but I really don't know how the Red Sox were winning World Series' with Manny Ramirez in LF. :rolleyes:

The O's act as if they need 3 Willie Mays' in the OF. It's a shame Reimold is going to get stuck in Norfolk. I hope Pie becomes the player they hope he can become, but it's still going to suck to watch Reimold rot in AAA.

If that means we have better talent on the big league team, I'll take it all day (I'm not wishing bad luck to the guy - I do hope he has success). To me Reimold and Moore are like those guys on your video game that, in reality, aren't that good, but you mash with them and kinda fall in love with them and wish them the best...but in real life, they don't have what it takes.

I just realized how old Reimold is, 25, some of his best hitting is probably going to be wasted in the minor leagues at this point and how much longer is he even going to have prospect status? The more I think about it the more one of Scott, Montanez or Reimold should be traded for a SP, right away.

I'd do it in a heartbeat, I just don't think you get much back for Reimold and Montanez...after all they don't have what it takes to play for the last place Orioles. I realize our OF is the strength of the team, but let's be realistic. I'm torn on Scott, he could bring back something worth while, but you don't get cheap production out of guys like that everyday. I would be suprised if AM didn't have something up his sleeve as far as a Scott deal goes.

I'd do it in a heartbeat, I just don't think you get much back for Reimold and Montanez...after all they don't have what it takes to play for the last place Orioles. I realize our OF is the strength of the team, but let's be realistic. I'm torn on Scott, he could bring back something worth while, but you don't get cheap production out of guys like that everyday. I would be suprised if AM didn't have something up his sleeve as far as a Scott deal goes.
I think timing is everything with Reimold and Scott in particular -- Nolan because he has no trade value today, but potentially could have significant value with a big year in the minors; and Luke because I have a nagging notion that this will be an absolute monster season for him, based on it being the first time in several years that he appears to be completely healthy (and the mostly DH role to start the season at least, even though he hates it right right now, could actually benefit him by keeping him healthy and fresh). So I think it would be a major mistake to trade either of these guys now.

As for Montanez, he needs a year of concentrating on defense/defense/defense. He apparently has the athleticism to be a decent LF. I just get the feeling that it needs to become more of a focus/priority for him. Everybody KNOWS he can hit. But defense is the key. If he spends a year getting close to ML-average defense in LF, no reason he can't be a 25-man guy next year.

This isn't directed towards anyone... but I really don't know how the Red Sox were winning World Series' with Manny Ramirez in LF. :rolleyes:

The O's act as if they need 3 Willie Mays' in the OF. It's a shame Reimold is going to get stuck in Norfolk. I hope Pie becomes the player they hope he can become, but it's still going to suck to watch Reimold rot in AAA.

OK. voice of reason! If he goes to Norfolk and produces, he'll force his way to the big club. It's not like he played all season at AAA last season, putting up the numbers he did. I can see him and Pie platooning sometime this year or next.

If Reimold plays well, he won't rot in AAA. Let's not forget, he has never played there at all. Pie, on the other hand, has played 281 games at the AAA level, and has done well there. He's earned his stripes.

As to the Manny comparison, let's not get carried away. By the time Manny was 25 (Reimold's age now), he'd already had two full major league seasons where he'd put up an OPS far higher than anything Reimold has done in the minors.

If Reimold goes to AAA and does well, he will get his chance.

I'm torn on Scott, he could bring back something worth while, but you don't get cheap production out of guys like that everyday.
and Luke because I have a nagging notion that this will be an absolute monster season for him, based on it being the first time in several years that he appears to be completely healthy

I agree with you on Scott, it is tempting to package him to the Braves if that's an option, but like you are saying I think this could be a break out year for him and he's paid reasonably for his production. Do you think him DHing a majority of the time diminishes his value? He wasn't a bad LF.

If Reimold plays well, he won't rot in AAA. Let's not forget, he has never played there at all. Pie, on the other hand, has played 281 games at the AAA level, and has done well there. He's earned his stripes.

As to the Manny comparison, let's not get carried away. By the time Manny was 25 (Reimold's age now), he'd already had two full major league seasons where he'd put up an OPS far higher than anything Reimold has done in the minors.

Habor Park versus the Iowa Cubs park. There is a big difference in the those parks.

I agree with you on Scott, it is tempting to package him to the Braves if that's an option, but like you are saying I think this could be a break out year for him and he's paid reasonably for his production. Do you think him DHing a majority of the time diminishes his value? He wasn't a bad LF.

This is the feeling by a lot on this board. I have seats in left field and tend to watch his every move because LF was my old stomping grounds. He positions himself well, but doesn't cover a lot of ground. The big thing for me in LF is holding guys to singles and his lack of range and weak arm allow guys to get extra bases on him. His defensive prolbems may be due to the foot problem he has had in the past. I think DHing will keep him healthier, which in turn will raise his offensive production, making him more valueable. Side note on defense - he throws like a T-Rex! Very weak arm and hilarious looking.

Ha[r]bor Park versus the Iowa Cubs park. There is a big difference in the those parks.

Not as far as Reimold is concerned - he's never played in either one.

Pie is a year younger than Reimold and has 281 games at AAA and 130 games in the bigs. Yes, the Cubs moved Pie quickly and the Orioles have done the opposite with Reimold, but there is no denying that Pie has played over 400 games at levels that Reimold hasn't even reached.

I think that if Reimold can resolve whatever defensive issues he seems to have acquired, the O's should be happy to have him in the OF/DH rotation in 2010-2014. Merv Rettenmund was an asset, not a problem.

I dont see how though, unless Scott is traded or Pie falters. Reimold is one-dimensional and one-dimensional Scott is already ahead of him. The O's and their renaissance man infatuation with players who can play every position does not bode well for Nolan.

Does Pie have options? Even if he falters half-way through the season he's not going anywhere if we can't send him back down to the minors.

It will be interesting to see how Nolan does in Norfolk. People will need to remember that Norfolk is a big stadium so he's not going to be hitting a ton of HR's. But if he does well, then what? There's not a spot for him on this team the way its constructed.

For me, it's just frustrating that the O's have not produced a decent positional prospect in a long time, and now that it looks like we have a decent one in Reimold, he's being hung out to dry.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens but the writing is on the wall IMO.

I dont see how though, unless Scott is traded or Pie falters. Reimold is one-dimensional and one-dimensional Scott is already ahead of him. The O's and their renaissance man infatuation with players who can play every position does not bode well for Nolan.

Does Pie have options? Even if he falters half-way through the season he's not going anywhere if we can't send him back down to the minors.

It will be interesting to see how Nolan does in Norfolk. People will need to remember that Norfolk is a big stadium so he's not going to be hitting a ton of HR's. But if he does well, then what? There's not a spot for him on this team the way its constructed.

For me, it's just frustrating that the O's have not produced a decent positional prospect in a long time, and now that it looks like we have a decent one in Reimold, he's being hung out to dry.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens but the writing is on the wall IMO.

Chicks dig the long ball! and so do GMs and managers. If he plays well they will get rid of Freel since he is on a 1 year contract. geesh. stop worrying about **** you can't control.

Archived