Arbitration demands and offers to be exchanged next Friday (1/12)

Frobby

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You’ve heard of Steamers?  This is Dreamers Projections.

Steamer says 135, ZiPS says 85, the Dreamer says 150.   Truth is, nobody knows.  Alex Cobb pitched 179.1 the year after he returned from TJ.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Steamer says 135, ZiPS says 85, the Dreamer says 150.   Truth is, nobody knows.  Alex Cobb pitched 179.1 the year after he returned from TJ.

The scary thing is, the Dreamer has a pretty good track record.

On 1/15/2024 at 6:09 PM, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to extend him if he pitches well his first 5-10 starts.  

Means’ injury was pretty poorly timed when it came to maximizing his income during his Arb years.  He’ll have made just a little more than $9 mm total in his three years, where if he’d been healthy and pitched to his career average he’d probably have made $19 mm or so.   He really needs to have a good, healthy season to cash in.

Really?   I'm surprised if the John Angelos helmed Orioles tries to extend anyone.   Certainly not something we've seen a lot of.

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

In that entire article they didn't even mention how much Cionel is getting from the agreement. How much did they settle for?

I’m sure they’ll have it later or MASN?

I noted the 2025 Club option in the report.    

I mean, the Orioles already had Arb tender rights, but I guess the parties codified a price point it might be convenient for the Club to lock in if the Player has a very good season.

I guess now Elias is free of worries an odd Save or eight would artificially inflate his 2025 earning power.

55 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

In that entire article they didn't even mention how much Cionel is getting from the agreement. How much did they settle for?

$1.2 million with a $2.2 million team option for 2025 that includes escalators.

50 minutes ago, SteveA said:

$1.2 million with a $2.2 million team option for 2025 that includes escalators.

What does a team option do when you're arb-eligible? Does that just allow them to determine a salary without negotiating next year?

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

What does a team option do when you're arb-eligible? Does that just allow them to determine a salary without negotiating next year?

Yep.    You aren't arb eligible the next year if you are under contract, and if the team exercises the option you are under contract.

He agreed to it.   I wonder if the escalators make it attractive?

And I guess if the team doesn't exercise it, he is then eligible for arbitration again?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Yep.    You aren't arb eligible the next year if you are under contract, and if the team exercises the option you are under contract.

He agreed to it.   I wonder if the escalators make it attractive?

And I guess if the team doesn't exercise it, he is then eligible for arbitration again?

Yes, in theory if the O’s decline the option they can still tender him a contract and go to arbitration.  However, I like the sound of $2.2 mm plus escalators for next year.  My guess is the O’s will either exercise that option, or non-tender him, depending on what kind of year he has.