Orioles 2024 Best defensive combination

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

@Tony-OH how do you think Holiday compares to Westburg at 2B? Close?  Or similar? 

I think Holliday would be a better overall defensive 2B than Westburg. I liked what I saw him there, but I have not given up on him playing SS at the major league level yet either. Westburg would not be an effective defensive SS.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

We've been discussing in multiple threads who fits where best defensively. So without taking the bats into consideration, and only going off the current 40-man roster, this is the best defensive team the Orioles can put on the field to start 2024. Just a note, a player can only be in one position so in the case of Joey Ortiz where he would be the best shortstop and second baseman, he can only be one.

1B: Ryan Mountcastle 
2B: Jordan Westburg
SS' Joey Ortiz
3B: Gunnar Henderson
C : Adley Rutschman
LF: Austin Hays
CF: Cedric Mullins
RF: Colton Cowser

Now there is going to be some argument that Gunnar Henderson is the best defensive shortstop, and by arm strength alone, they would be right, but I've seen enough quickness, smoothness and consistency from Joey Ortiz that he would be preference at SS, especially since Henderson is by and far the best defensive 3B.

So w/o 40 man considerations and assuming Holliday makes OD roster would you have him at 2B in your best defensive lineup? 

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

@Tony-OH how do you think Holiday compares to Westburg at 2B? Close?  Or similar? 

Great question to a great thread.  This was the first question that popped into my head when I looked at the lineup.  If the answer is they are very close it kind of makes me wonder if Westburg is the one we should be including in trade proposals.  Don't get me wrong I really liked what I saw from Westburg last year, but are we not putting enough value into Ortiz defense? So many options with the infield depth, good problem to have. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

So w/o 40 man considerations and assuming Holliday makes OD roster would you have him at 2B in your best defensive lineup? 

Yes, he would be if he met the criteria. I do think he's a better overall defender at 2B than Westburg, though I think he Orioles are going to send him back and play both SS and 2B at Norfolk to stat the season. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

The timeshare between Gunnar, Holliday, Ortiz, and Westburg would be interesting.  Righty/lefty and positional flexibility.  2024 can't get here quick enough!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I still think Ortiz is traded before the season starts..if/when that happens, I think Mateo says and is the SS vs lefties.

Potentially. Let's say he's traded, Mayo is sent back to AAA to work in RF as well as 3B and 1B, and Holliday is sent back to AAA to play SS and 2B.

This would leave the lineup at 3B, SS and 2b as:

Vs righties:
3B: Urias
SS : Henderson
2B: Westburg

Vs LHB
3B: Henderson with occasional days off going to Urias
SS: Mateo

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, he would be if he met the criteria. I do think he's a better overall defender at 2B than Westburg, though I think he Orioles are going to send him back and play both SS and 2B at Norfolk to stat the season. 

Very interesting.  Thanks.  I kind of assumed it would be Westburg right now with Holliday eventually becoming better.  We know how this organization values defense 😀🤞

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Potentially. Let's say he's traded, Mayo is sent back to AAA to work in RF as well as 3B and 1B, and Holliday is sent back to AAA to play SS and 2B.

This would leave the lineup at 3B, SS and 2b as:

Vs righties:
3B: Urias
SS : Henderson

Vs LHB
3B: Henderson with occasional days off going to Urias
SS: Mateo

And I think this is the plan as they don’t want to start those clocks immediately and, as you said, they can go back to AAA to work on defense. 

But this set up looks a lot different by the middle of June.