What's your preferred rotation if we don't land another starter?

DocJJ

1. Bradish

2. Rodriguez

3. Means

4. Kremer

5. best of Irvin/Hall/Wells/Povich/McDermott/Johnson/Zimmerman????

Yikes...  definitely need another starter.  Just hope we don't have to give up too many prospects.....!

9 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

1. Bradish

2. Rodriguez

3. Means

4. Kremer

Yikes...  definitely need another starter.  Just hope we don't have to give up too many prospects.....!

Ricky Vaughn 😛

I would go straight to Irvin at #5 and give him another shot to be the innings eater we traded for. Back-to-back 180 inning campaigns at a decent ERA - that is fairly rare in today's game. He's got the stamina and he seemed to fix something after coming back last season. He's my guy. 

Not only do I like Wells and Hall in the bullpen more than starting, but I also think the bullpen really needs those guys in it. If Irvin is going to be at his most useful for this club, it's as a SP. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

Just now, interloper said:

I would go straight to Irvin at #5 and give him another shot to be the innings eater we traded for. Back-to-back 180 inning campaigns at a decent ERA. He's got the stamina and he seemed to fix something after coming back last season. He's my guy. 

Not only do I like Wells and Hall in the bullpen more than starting, but I also think the bullpen really needs those guys in it. If Irvin is going to be at his most useful for this club, it's as a SP. 

I don't think I'd go straight to Irvin at 5, but if it ends up being him, I'm happy with that. I think ideally for me, DL Hall surprises us during Spring Training and gets his career as a starter back on track. If that doesn't happen, then my next choice would be Irvin, I'd rather not risk losing Tyler Wells due to fatigue half way through the season. A full season of reliever Tyler Wells is more valuable than half a season of starter Wells, imo.

6 minutes ago, The B&G said:

I don't think I'd go straight to Irvin at 5, but if it ends up being him, I'm happy with that. I think ideally for me, DL Hall surprises us during Spring Training and gets his career as a starter back on track. If that doesn't happen, then my next choice would be Irvin, I'd rather not risk losing Tyler Wells due to fatigue half way through the season. A full season of reliever Tyler Wells is more valuable than half a season of starter Wells, imo.

That's fair - certainly if Hall looks like he's gonna be a dude as a starter in spring training, then I'm obviously fine with going that route. 

1. Bradish
2. Means
3. Rodriguez
4. Kremer
5. Ideally Hall, but realisitcally it's probably going to be Irvin to start the year. 

I listed Means 2nd to break up the righties and I might be in the minority, but I would prefer if Wells stayed in the bullpen. That said, if Hall isn't able to transition back to a starter (I'm not convinced he can) then I assume Wells will have to get at least some starts this season. 

This drill has shone a pretty big light on how much I think they really need to add another starting pitcher to the roster (either via trade or through free agency).  I'm happy Hall had such success in the postseason, but I'm very skeptical of him being able to be a starting pitcher who we can count on in 2024. I hope he proves me wrong. 

I would let Irvin/Wells/Hall fight for the 5th spot in spring training. If it's a close race and Hall is one of the contenders, I may gave him the inside edge for the slot just to give him his real MLB rotation shot for the first time. Then if he fails out of that, move him to the pen pretty much permanently. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's fair - certainly if Hall looks like he's gonna be a dude as a starter in spring training, then I'm obviously fine with going that route. 

My guesstimate is Hall will end up a reliever. He's excelled in shorter stints in the bigs. I believe he has done so using a his better pitches and not using his secondary stuff. I looked at his last 5 appearances from last fall. He's averaging 4.5 pitches per batter BF/P  6/28, 6/28, 4/15 , 5/23, 3/15.

Tyler Wells.

Irvin in the pen as the 3rd lefty, long man, and 6th SP.  Irvin is out of options.

I think if Hall looks even decent as a SP in ST that we should let him continue to SP in AAA.  Hall would be our 6th/7th SP.  There's no need for him to strictly relieve so early on in the season, especially since we already have three LH RP that are out of options.  Zimmerman and Povich are SP deep depth for this season.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

Yikes...  definitely need another starter.  

I don’t feel we definitely need another starter.  I’d like to have one, but I’d call it a want, not a need.   There are many 5th starters in the league worse than any of Irvin, Hall or Wells.   I’d prefer to push them to the bullpen by getting someone significantly bettter.   If we can’t get the right guy, I’m okay riding with that group.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t feel we definitely need another starter.  I’d like to have one, but I’d call it a want, not a need.   There are many 5th starters in the league worse than any of Irvin, Hall or Wells.   I’d prefer to push them to the bullpen by getting someone significantly bettter.   If we can’t get the right guy, I’m okay riding with that group.  

We just had our starters get completely rocked in the playoffs, have two known health/stamina risks in Wells/Means, and lost 2 starters to FA. Irvin is a major unknown as he hasn’t found success outside of cavernous Oakland Coliseum. 

That’s on top of incredible lucky health for our starters this year. We didn’t have any injuries beyond Means and Wells’ fatigue, which we already knew about. I think we need at least 1 if not 2 additions to start the season. 

Just now, brooooksy said:

We just had our starters get completely rocked in the playoffs, have two known health/stamina risks in Wells/Means, and lost 2 starters to FA. Irvin is a major unknown as he hasn’t found success outside of cavernous Oakland Coliseum. 

That’s on top of incredible lucky health for our starters this year. We didn’t have any injuries beyond Means and Wells’ fatigue, which we already knew about. I think we need at least 1 if not 2 additions to start the season. 

First of all, I don’t give a crap about what happened in last year’s playoffs.  It’s one series.  By the way, Bradish wasn’t bad and Hyde yanked him too quickly IMO.

All of your reservations about Hall, Wells and Irvin are fair, and if we were relying exclusively on any one of them I’d be very concerned    But there’s three of them and chances are one will emerge who exceeds expectations.   

So, I’m sticking with my statement that it’s more of a want than a need.  But it’s something I’d like to have.  

• Upvote 2