What's your preferred rotation if we don't land another starter?

DocJJ

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t feel we definitely need another starter.  I’d like to have one, but I’d call it a want, not a need.   There are many 5th starters in the league worse than any of Irvin, Hall or Wells.   I’d prefer to push them to the bullpen by getting someone significantly bettter.   If we can’t get the right guy, I’m okay riding with that group.  

This is where I am too.  I'd like to see another plus RP added. 

I'm sold on our top 2 SPs being studs.  Kremer is an easy #3 in most rotations.  Means is my concern.  As of today, Hall is my #5 from the final grouping.  

The concern is more health related than anything else for me.  Elias broke away from convention extending Grayson's IP.  I'm honestly fine with that decision because I trust our use of biometrics and whatnot.

I'm coming around to Hall as the 5th but I'd also like him in the bullpen with Irvin or Wells in the rotation. It's really not a bad group. I can see the case to stand pat and then wait til the deadline to replace anyone who is underperforming.

Bradish, GRod, Means, Kremer, Wells in the 1st half.

If Means needs a month off McDermott is called up.  Its  Irvin or McDermott in the rotation.

2nd half Wells arm fatigue.   O's go to a six man rotation.   GRod, Bradish, Means, Kremer, Irvin, McDermott.

Wells comes back for the playoffs.   GRod, Bradish, Means and Wells.

if Bradish or Grayson goes down for an extended period then your back four of the rotation ends up being :

Means

Kremer

Irvin

Wells/Hall/Povich/McDermott

Not a deep depth chart imo.

Edited by brooooksy

I think it’s crazy to entertain the thought of not adding another starter. Means is half a starter in the frame of an entire season. Two top guys are young and fairly unproven. Kremer is a good 5th starter without much potential to be more. This rotation has a big spectrum of how good they can be. It can be really good or it could be really bad. Not to mention there is a huge amount of prospects that could be traded and they’ve got an unreasonably low payroll. Absolutely no reason not to add.

Edited by oriole

44 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think it’s crazy to entertain the thought of not adding another starter. Means is half a starter in the frame of an entire season. Two top guys are young and fairly unproven. Kremer is a good 5th starter without much potential to be more. This rotation has a big spectrum of how good they can be. It can be really good or it could be really bad. Not to mention there is a huge amount of prospects that could be traded and they’ve got an unreasonably low payroll. Absolutely no reason not to add.

Kremer once again getting no respect.  He’s way better than a 5th starter.   Fifth starters don’t throw 162+ innings and they don’t post ERAs in the low 4’s.  Just take a look at reality.   

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, oriole said:

I agree with your conclusion but not how you got there.

Bradish  and GRod are young, strong and talented.  Both made over 30 starts last year and are projected to make 32 or 33 next season.  They both have #1 starter stuff.

Means will probably pitch 5 months out of 6.   Not half a season.  25 starts.  He will be a #3

Kremer threw 32 starts and 172 IP at a little over a  4.00 ERA.  That is not a #5.  Its a #4.

Wells has #3 stuff for 15 ro 20 starts.

O's need about  21-26 more starts.    That is where Irvin and McDermott and who ever else Elias acquires comes in.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree with your conclusion but not how you got there.

Bradish  and GRod are young, strong and talented.  Both made over 30 starts last year and are projected to make 32 or 33 next season.  They both have #1 starter stuff.

Means will probably pitch 5 months out of 6.   Not half a season.  25 starts.  He will be a #3

Kremer threw 32 starts and 172 IP at a little over a  4.00 ERA.  That is not a #5.  Its a #4.

Wells has #3 stuff for 15 ro 20 starts.

O's need about  21-26 more starts.    That is where Irvin and McDermott and who ever else Elias acquires comes in.

I tend to agree - although I think Grayson has #1 stuff but isn’t there yet, and Bradish is more like a 2-3 and Kremer a 3-5 depending on the season. That’s all good, but we need depth. Because Irvin, Hall, Povich, McDermott et Al are unproven at best, swingmen/AAA fodder at worst. Another 2-3 type would be ideal if we can’t get an ace.

3 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

I tend to agree - although I think Grayson has #1 stuff but isn’t there yet, and Bradish is more like a 2-3 and Kremer a 3-5 depending on the season. That’s all good, but we need depth. Because Irvin, Hall, Povich, McDermott et Al are unproven at best, swingmen/AAA fodder at worst. Another 2-3 type would be ideal if we can’t get an ace.

GRod is there.  He was there in the 2nd half last year.   Bradish had a 2.83 ERA in 30 starts last year.  That is a #1.  Doubt them at you own risk.   You completely forgot Means.

19 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

Laughable. 

Bradish finished 4th in the Cy Young last year and you’re calling him a 2-3 starter. So many posters in this thread are grossly underrating our in house starters. 

Bradish, GRod, Kremer is a formidable 1-3.

Adding another legitimate arm to that mix via trade and rounding it out with means gives us a WS rotation. 

8 hours ago, G54377 said:

I'm definitely getting another starter.

I like the idea of our bullpen:

Wells (multi-inning guy)

Webb

Coulombe

Perez

Hall

Cano

Kimbrel

I still think Elias signing or trading for a better starter than Wells will be hard to do.

Edited by wildcard

If Bradish doesn't take that liner off the foot his first start in Texas, he very well may have won the Cy Young.  He may ultimately settle into being more of a #2-3 guy, but at this moment in my eyes he is a clear #1 starter. 

1 hour ago, Newguyry said:

Laughable. 

Bradish finished 4th in the Cy Young last year and you’re calling him a 2-3 starter. So many posters in this thread are grossly underrating our in house starters. 

Bradish, GRod, Kremer is a formidable 1-3.

Adding another legitimate arm to that mix via trade and rounding it out with means gives us a WS rotation. 

Is Dylan Cease a #1 starter? He finished 2nd in CYA voting in 2022 at age 26.

Its foolish to believe that our players will only improve or repeat their great seasons.