Starting pitcher: What would be your preference?

Sports Guy

Choose your preference   

101 members have voted

1. 1. If each of these options were on the table, which would would you do?

• Mayo, Westburg, Mateo and Beavers for Luzardo
    • Kjerstad and Westburg for Cease
    • Sign a FA starter to a 1 year deal
    • Go into the season with the starters we have

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/24/24 at 17:07

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The 2 trades I proposed are also to demonstrate the concept of if you want Luzardo, you have to give up more than Cease and are you willing to part with an elite prospect to get Luzardo vs having to part with good to very good  prospects for Cease.

It is very likely that those are the 2 scenarios Elias is dealing with if he is indeed having discussions on both players.

Now, if we can get Luzardo for Kjerstad, Westburg, Beavers and say Povich, hell yea..but the Mayo difference is huge for me.

If he does nothing now, didn’t make an impact trade last year and did very little last year, I think that’s plenty to go off of to doubt that he makes an impact move at the deadline. We can hope that he does but at that point, the evidence would be overwhelming that we shouldn’t expect it.

Yeah and if we are just talking about those two trades, I’d go with the Cease trade. But, if signing a free agent is in play, that feels like a better move so we can keep the prospects for a trade at a later time. Just my preference and not what I think Elias would or wouldn’t do. And as far as what he will and won’t do, like I said, the point where I start to agree with you is if we don’t do anything at the trade deadline this year. We are close, but I don’t think we are that desperate to make a trade just yet. But, by the trade deadline this year we will likely have a serious logjam of prospects that we’ll need to deal with. 

1 hour ago, nsw said:

100% agree with RarityFlaherty. It's so frustrating to see the incredible salary room we have go to waste (so far). Our cheap core is a awesome, and adding FAs "for free" prospect-wise is a no-brainer. It sure feels like all of this is up to JA. We've crushed it with the rebuild draft-and-develop-wise. Great "scrap heap" finds, too. The final piece is starting to spend $ on pitching to finish off the roster for our big window that's now wide open.

Maybe the "strategy" is to wait for the deadline and pick up any healthy premium pitchers available for trade at that time. 

I can't wait until this team is sold and is free from the grasp of the Angelos family. With a different owner, I have to believe we'd see a few significant free agent acquisitions with this team's success and relatively low payroll.

Instead we can't go 10 minutes without John Angelos bellyaching over team revenue or how expensive it will be to sign our young stars to a contract extension.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I disagree.  We could have a lot more urgency at the deadline than we do now.  We will know a lot more about how various young players are performing at different spots on the field.  

Yes, we could have more urgency for sure…but there’s plenty now and enough to justify making a trade.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, we could have more urgency for sure…but there’s plenty now and enough to justify making a trade.

You can certainly justify a trade.  The case becomes a lot stronger if Wellls/Irvin crap the bed as 5th starter and/or someone gets hurt.   There’s some urgency now to mitigate the risk of those things happening, but not as much as the urgency if those things actually do happen.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I'm fully on board with wanting to upgrade our starting rotation, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you or the sport's media is making it out to be. You're acting like our season hangs in the balance of trading for Cease. It doesn't. There's still a path to success even if we don't trade for him. This isn't a situation where we absolutely have to push our chips all in. 

• Upvote 1

I would rather pick up a TOR starter, but this has me tired of the process. So, I voted to go “as is.” Between Hall, Wells and Irvin, I think we’re covered. I actually really liked what I saw from Zimmermann at the end of the year as well. He was not throwing the ball with as much velo, but had better command and movement than I had ever seen him. It may have been just my imagination, and I would like to see more, but it was interesting to me.

Above it all, DL Hall deserves a shot. If we can get him locked-in, his stuff is obviously great. He could be a difference maker in the rotation, or the pen. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Other than maybe the one that just ticked off the country he's currently living in?

Do you mean Trevor Bauer?  God, I hope not; it didn't occur to me that my post might trigger that train wreck of a topic again.

If there was a pitcher worth having agreeable to a one-year deal I would be inclined to keep Kjerstad and Westburg and go that route.  But I think guys like Paxton and Ryu will both get multi-year deals and that's not a choice. 

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Do you mean Trevor Bauer?  God, I hope not; it didn't occur to me that my post might trigger that train wreck of a topic again.

If there was a pitcher worth having agreeable to a one-year deal I would be inclined to keep Kjerstad and Westburg and go that route.  But I think guys like Paxton and Ryu will both get multi-year deals and that's not a choice. 

I didn't name him.

He ticked off a lot of folks in Japan recently by being himself.

13 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm fully on board with wanting to upgrade our starting rotation, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you or the sport's media is making it out to be. You're acting like our season hangs in the balance of trading for Cease. It doesn't. There's still a path to success even if we don't trade for him. This isn't a situation where we absolutely have to push our chips all in. 

There is always a path to success but not obtaining a very good pitcher makes the path harder and if any injuries occur, they are in big trouble.

2 hours ago, ChicagoTerp said:

Just because we can afford it, doesn't mean we should do it. To me, that deal for Cease is what he would be worth if he had just repeated his 2022 stats. It's an overpay for a guy who had the season he just had. Not saying he's a scrub, just too big a question mark for HK and JW.

Come man, good starting pitching is very expensive.  If Cease repeated his 2022 year, the package would have to start with Mayo or Basallo and include 2 more of the O's top 10 plus other guys like Povich, Beavers, etc.  Other teams would be trying to outbid the O's too.

• Upvote 1