Are we underestimating Chayce McDermott?

wildcard

In another thread, a poster said Povich looked like Matsuz with a bigger fastball. 

in the above video, McDermott giving me Kremer vibes with his pitching motion, but again with much bigger fastball. 

5 hours ago, Say O! said:

In another thread, a poster said Povich looked like Matsuz with a bigger fastball. 

in the above video, McDermott giving me Kremer vibes with his pitching motion, but again with much bigger fastball. 

Kremer’s FB was on avg 94.6 mph last year. 

Hard to not like what McDermott has looked like so far this spring. He took a real big step last year which is why I became more of a believer in him. I'd really like to see them give him a start against major league competition early in the game, but still, the still is legitimate and while he looks ready for a bullpen job, I still want to see what he looks like in AAA this year as a starter. 

Either way, you have to believe we will see him in Baltimore some time this year is some role barring an injury.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hard to not like what McDermott has looked like so far this spring. He took a real big step last year which is why I became more of a believer in him. I'd really like to see them give him a start against major league competition early in the game, but still, the still is legitimate and while he looks ready for a bullpen job, I still want to see what he looks like in AAA this year as a starter. 

Either way, you have to believe we will see him in Baltimore some time this year is some role barring an injury.

I really like DeLeon as our best pitching prospect in terms of a high ceiling/upside guy.

But I think most would agree that right now, McDermott is a better prospect than Bradish was. That doesn’t mean he becomes what Bradish was in 2023 (or better) but the upside is higher at the same points in their careers. 

I said all offseason that my belief is that McDermott will be in the 2025 rotation from day 1, assuming health. 

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I really like DeLeon as our best pitching prospect in terms of a high ceiling/upside guy.

But I think most would agree that right now, McDermott is a better prospect than Bradish was. That doesn’t mean he becomes what Bradish was in 2023 (or better) but the upside is higher at the same points in their careers. 

I said all offseason that my belief is that McDermott will be in the 2025 rotation from day 1, assuming health. 

I've been a pretty firm Povich guy even despite his struggles last year, but it's pretty clear just watching both pitch this spring that one looks like a MLer and one not so much just yet. I like the confidence McDermott has on the mound, he attacks, it's a nice fastball and solid breaking stuff. 

9 hours ago, Say O! said:

Yeah, I was thinking Kremer watching him as well, but honestly I might like McDermott's repertoire a little more. Not saying he's better than Kremer right now or anything, but yeah. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've been a pretty firm Povich guy even despite his struggles last year, but it's pretty clear just watching both pitch this spring that one looks like a MLer and one not so much just yet. I like the confidence McDermott has on the mound, he attacks, it's a nice fastball and solid breaking stuff. 

You never know if/when the light bulb goes off for a guy like Povich but he’s just not nearly as polished as McDermott is..and McDermott is far from a flawless guy. He has had his own command and control issues that he has to show more consistency with but he’s still way ahead of Povich in that regard. 

Both should be fun follows this year.

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I say give McDermott 70 IP in the MR role this year and go from there.  He reminds me of Brach a little.  McDermott could always compete for a rotation spot next ST.  Let's not waste any of those bullets in his arm.  

Being that we rarely use a reliever for longer than 1 inning, I would prefer him starting in AAA vs being in the O's pen

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah, I was thinking Kremer watching him as well, but honestly I might like McDermott's repertoire a little more. Not saying he's better than Kremer right now or anything, but yeah. 

I feel like McDermott's secondaries are far and away better than Kremer's.

55 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Being that we rarely use a reliever for longer than 1 inning, I would prefer him starting in AAA vs being in the O's pen

We're a 100 win team with a banged up rotation.  We don't have the luxury of sending one of our better arms to AAA this year to try and figure it out as a SP.  He could be a SP next season.  This year we need him to fill the void that was created when Wells was thrust back into the rotation.  A Brad Brach role is extremely valubale.  Arguably, just as valuable as a #5 SP.  

11 hours ago, Say O! said:

Kremer is fastball/cutter.  His other pitches, curve and change, are inconsistent and mostly ineffective.  Kremer can only dream of having McDermott’s breaking stuff.  If McDermott can consistently land the splitter he’ll be good.