Braxton Garrett trade

Sports Guy

Braxton Garrett  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Cowser or Kjerstad and Ortiz for Garrett?

• I would trade either Cowser or Kjerstad in this deal
    • I would trade Cowser, not Kjerstad
    • I would trade Kjerstad, not Cowser
    • I wouldn’t make either trade

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/29/24 at 23:13

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Garrett is going to cost more, not less. I bet he is not even available.

Reportedly, they are discussing all their pitchers but Perez.

And I don’t know he costs more. It’s easy to say he does because of service time and money but Garrett hasn’t accomplished as much and he doesn’t have that “new school” profile of throwing hard, getting tons of Ks, missing bats at a high rate, etc…

So, I don’t really know.  The service time matters but I do feel we can make a bigger deal out of that at times. It’s obviously important but you also need to be really good.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Garrett is going to cost more, not less. I bet he is not even available.

Part of what you’re paying for with Luzardo is upside, as a former top 10 prospect and LHP. Garrett isn’t a nobody, but if you were getting similar results from Grayson Rodriguez with 3 years of control and Cade Povich with 5, you’d likely still have more expectations of an upside with Grayson, and value them accordingly.

I don't see the Marlins trading a young pitcher who's cost controlled for the foreseeable future unless they've given up and/or soured on him. That's why I think we've heard rumors of Cabrera and Rogers being available, but not Garrett. 

We also probably need to talk about the fact that Garrett has  pretty significantly outperformed his expected ERA over the last two seasons. He also tends to get hit pretty hard. On the plus side he doesn't walk many batters and induces a lot of ground balls. My gut tells me he's more of an average pitcher than a good pitcher (but we'd have to pay for a good pitcher). I'd personally rather take my chances with E. Cabrera or pony up and trade for Luzardo. 

2022 - 3.58 ERA vs 4.05 xERA

2023 - 3.66 ERA vs 4.55 xERA

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brooooksy said:

I like the idea of giving up more for a better pitcher (i.e. Luzardo, not Cease), if you’re gonna trade one of the better prospects like Cowser/Kjerstad

OTOH if you can make Garrett happen for like, Mountcastle, Ortiz, Stowers (to start) I’m a lot more interested

This is the direction I was heading too.  I'd rather use the Cowser/HK and Ortiz/Westburg/Norby surplus to raise the ceiling of the rotation vs. raise the floor for multiple years.

Mounty and Ortiz probably interest MIA.  Agree that it would take more.

Regarding the choices, I consider Cowser and Kjerstad to be so close as to be interchangeable when it comes to trade value.  They have different skill sets but the overall value is nearly identical.  So, I’d trade either one.  

I haven’t studied Braxton that closely, but he seems like he’d slot in well as a 3rd/4th starter and the 5 years of control is hugely advantageous.  My biggest concern about him is that for a control guy, he doesn’t get very deep in games.  It may just be because Miami has babied him a little.  He never topped 95 pitches last year and was under 90 in 2/3 of his starts.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Cease is the guy you prefer in the postseason and I have zero issue with this thought.

But what if you need to add more good prospects to those 2 to get Cease?  Garrett is a fallback..and you can argue that you would rather have Garrett because of cost and service time..and he’s younger. 

Years of control matter when you’re trading valuable prospects and your owner won’t spend.