Long Elias Interview Today (1/25)

Aglets

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ummm ok I guess?  Not really sure what to make of this or what the point is but ok.

The point is there is no hesitancy. Virtually no one does not want to win and win now. But unlike some who see every choice as either the easy and obvious answer or the stupid choice, some of us see gray.   My apologies for being longwinded and unclear. 

Edited by foxfield

16 minutes ago, foxfield said:

The point is there is no hesitancy. Virtually no one does not want to win and win now. But unlike some who see every choice as either the easy and obvious answer or the stupid choice, some of us see gray.   My apologies for being longwinded and unclear. 

I think people want to win but not at “all costs”. I think many people are perfectly happy with status quo and just seeing what happens. I imagine those same people were saying the same thing after 2012 and 2014 too.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think people want to win but not at all costs. I think many people are perfectly happy with status quo and just seeing what happens. I imagine those same people were saying the same thing after 2012 and 2014 too.

So lazy to keep bringing up 2012 and 2014.  You don’t need an imagination to realize two totally different situations.   Attempting to win at all costs is not the same as winning at all costs.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think people want to win but not at “all costs”. I think many people are perfectly happy with status quo and just seeing what happens. I imagine those same people were saying the same thing after 2012 and 2014 too.

Well, we didn’t keep the status quo at all after 2014, letting Miller, Markakis and Cruz all walk.  Three very important players.  Not that I expected to keep them all, I’m just saying that offseason was very different than this one in terms of the situation the team was in.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Are people hesitant to win now?  Or are they not willing to win now at all costs?  Because that isn’t the same thing. 

I don’t think where the team was in 2012 or 2014 are even relevant to where the team is now. You can imagine who might look at the teams the same but I would hesitate to take seriously a comparison of then vs now. 

You seem to be arguing against yourself now. You would not trade Holliday for Cease or Mayo or Basallo. But reports have had at least 2 of them linked to Chicagos ask. If that is winning at all cost, Elias is right to move on. You know that, I know that and everyone reading here knows that. 

There is literally a gulf between your comment that people are hesitant to win now vs people are not willing to win at all costs. And the quote marks don’t really change the context. 

I think everyone wants an improved team. It’s already good, but more can and should be done. But anyone talking about winning now at all cost is not to be taken seriously. You don’t take that seriously.  I don’t understand the reference. 

• Upvote 1

Are people hesitant to win now?  Or are they not willing to win now at all costs?  Because that isn’t the same thing. 

I don’t think where the team was in 2012 or 2014 are even relevant to where the team is now. You can imagine who might look at the teams the same but I would hesitate to take seriously a comparison of then vs now. 

You seem to be arguing against yourself now. You would not trade Holliday for Cease or Mayo or Basallo. But reports have had at least 2 of them linked to Chicagos ask. If that is winning at all cost, Elias is right to move on. You know that, I know that and everyone reading here knows that. 

There is literally a gulf between your comment that people are hesitant to win now vs people are not willing to win at all costs. And the quote marks don’t really change the context. 

I think everyone wants an improved team. It’s already good, but more can and should be done. But anyone talking about winning now at all cost is not to be taken seriously. You don’t take that seriously.  I don’t understand the reference. 

1) I think people want to win provided it’s done in a way that doesn’t damage their precious prospects.

2)  right..we are even better and in better long term shape and can better stand the loss of prospects.  

3) Cease isn’t the only player I don’t believe for a second that any of our top 3 have to be in the deal. 

4) The reference is obvious. Many people here think we are good as is.  That’s foolish.  They aren’t. Too much downside in this team to go into the season as is.  That doesn’t mean things can’t fall right again but any injuries, decline in play, etc…and the team is in trouble.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

1) I think people want to win provided it’s done in a way that doesn’t damage their precious prospects.

2)  right..we are even better and in better long term shape and can better stand the loss of prospects.  

3) Cease isn’t the only player I don’t believe for a second that any of our top 3 have to be in the deal. 

4) The reference is obvious. Many people here think we are good as is.  That’s foolish.  They aren’t. Too much downside in this team to go into the season as is.  That doesn’t mean things can’t fall right again but any injuries, decline in play, etc…and the team is in trouble.

So you are pulling back win at all cost and return to win now if we can wisely invest in more talent?

6 minutes ago, foxfield said:

So you are pulling back win at all cost and return to win now if we can wisely invest in more talent?

I put all costs in quotes for a reason..I have clearly stated that I’m not trading any of the top 3 and there is absolutely zero chance that we can’t get a better starter than what’s on our roster with what is left over.

I believe many people wouldn’t trade either of the OFers, Westburg or put together a package of 3-4 of our other better prospects outside of those top 3.  

I recently started a poll that backs that up.  People would rather do nothing or sign some mediocre starter with no upside to a 1 year deal than truly go for it.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I put all costs in quotes for a reason..I have clearly stated that I’m not trading any of the top 3 and there is absolutely zero chance that we can’t get a better starter than what’s on our roster with what is left over.

I believe many people wouldn’t trade either of the OFers, Westburg or put together a package of 3-4 of our other better prospects outside of those top 3.  

I recently started a poll that backs that up.  People would rather do nothing or sign some mediocre starter with no upside to a 1 year deal than truly go for it.

Ok, well as I first said, I thing overall folks are pretty much in agreement. I don’t think people are hesitant at all until you push into the top three or take the nonspecific 3-4 guys and specify them. 

I do not think people are hesitant to add talent in the context of not giving up too much. It’s clearer once you pull the top three, but it’s the specifics on who that 3rd or 4th guy is that begins to turn the scales for some. 

That’s pretty normal I think. And for some it’s too much and for others it isn’t. 

But again, I am neither hesitant nor afraid to walk away if there isn’t an acceptable deal. Of course we don’t know those details and unless a deal is done we may never know. 

Be not afraid my friend. 

Ok, well as I first said, I thing overall folks are pretty much in agreement. I don’t think people are hesitant at all until you push into the top three or take the nonspecific 3-4 guys and specify them. 

I do not think people are hesitant to add talent in the context of not giving up too much. It’s clearer once you pull the top three, but it’s the specifics on who that 3rd or 4th guy is that begins to turn the scales for some. 

That’s pretty normal I think. And for some it’s too much and for others it isn’t. 

But again, I am neither hesitant nor afraid to walk away if there isn’t an acceptable deal. Of course we don’t know those details and unless a deal is done we may never know. 

Be not afraid my friend. 

Well luckily for you, I’m not saying you are. No matter how much you want to make it about you, it’s not about you.  It’s a general thought I see on here and elsewhere.  People are afraid to trade guys because we could “lose the trade”.  It’s a definite theme amongst Os fans.

The Miller/ERod trade is a perfect example of this.

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

Considering that Elias has seen how hard it is to acquire starters I hope he extends Means after he sees him in ST and before the season begins.  I am hoping for a extension through the 2026 season..

Means is an interesting candidate. I was thinking one of the big two (Gunnar/Adley), but even Bradish and Grayson are interesting guys to consider.

11 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think Getz is afraid to pull the trigger on a Cease trade, to anyone, not just the Orioles, because he’s afraid that he may be seen as “losing the trade.”

Might not be the right line of work for him if that's the case ...

35 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think Getz is afraid to pull the trigger on a Cease trade, to anyone, not just the Orioles, because he’s afraid that he may be seen as “losing the trade.”

That’s very possible.  He “has to win” this trade.