Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

Why would you want to part ways with a man who has brought in more young talent than anyone in the history of this organization? Ya'll are just looking for anything to be mad at or worry about.  Those days are over.  The arrow is finally pointing up. 

I'm not mad and not necessarily worried, but new owners do often bring in "their" person. Some of the new owners who want to make an immediate splash have brought in "established" GM's. I certainly hope that the new owners keep Elias, but I think that GM turnover happens with a year or two more than 50% of the time. That's just being realistic, not pessimistic. 

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

I'm not mad and not necessarily worried, but new owners do often bring in "their" person. Some of the new owners who want to make an immediate splash have brought in "established" GM's. I certainly hope that the new owners keep Elias, but I think that GM turnover happens with a year or two more than 50% of the time. That's just being realistic, not pessimistic. 

Elias just won executive of the year, I think he counts as established at this point.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

To put their own stamp on things.  They might not even be aware of who Elias is.  They might just think the Orioles have mostly sucked and now we're in charge so we're going to mix things up.  And we must be the smartest people to do it because we're super-rich.

Don't underestimate the pride factor with some folks.

They absolutely know who Elias is. I don't see how you could buy a team and not know who the GM is. I'm sure they are also well aware of the manager and all of the players on the team. Rubenstein liked a tweet about Gunnar Henderson just a few days ago. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

To put their own stamp on things.  They might not even be aware of who Elias is.  They might just think the Orioles have mostly sucked and now we're in charge so we're going to mix things up.  And we must be the smartest people to do it because we're super-rich.

How likely is it that Rubenstein and his partner along with Cal Ripken over there in the corner don't know who Mike Elias is?  My theory is that there have already been preliminary discussion with Elias and his near-term obligations have already been clarified.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Everyone seems to assume that the new owners will happily keep Elias et al. They may want their "own" person after a year or so. That definitely happens frequently. 

Since they have never been involved in baseball before, do they even have their "own" baseball people?

Now I could see them having their own people in terms of a chief financial officer or something like that, or a creating a position like Dick Cass had / Sashi Brown has with the Ravens to run the business end of things and bringing in their "own people" for that.

But i doubt they have any longstanding relationship with baseball operations type people that would be likely to replace Elias.

Of course there is this note from @Warehouse last month, which indicates a connection (that is perhaps not a positive one!) between a prominent member of the front office and Rubinstein:

Fun fact: Eve Rosenbaum’s father, Greg, was one of five co-founders of the Carlyle Group in 1987 along with David Rubinstein.  However, he ended up leaving the firm within a year and suing for breach of contract. 

I don’t know whether David and Greg are currently on friendly terms.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

You also don't invest $1.725B without doing your homework first. Understanding that you're buying a franchise that doesn't need a face lift is easy to see and looking at past sales also rare. Usually teams are sold when they aren't that great. 

10 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Connor Newcombe on the Locked on Orioles podcast said he doesn't think this sale will have any impact on the rest of this current off-season, so I'm not getting too excited about Snell or Montgomery.

I listened to him, but don't agree with his reasoning. I think he makes assumptions and jumps to uninformed conclusions. Doesn't mean he's not right, but he recorded that as news was breaking and without any reporting about owner's meetings next week.

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if things are pretty far along on this already and the agreement is approved by owners very quickly. 

Just now, SteveA said:

Since they have never been involved in baseball before, do they even have their "own" baseball people?

Now I could see them having their own people in terms of a chief financial officer or something like that, or a creating a position like Dick Cass had / Sashi Brown has with the Ravens to run the business end of things and bringing in their "own people" for that.

But i doubt they have any longstanding relationship with baseball operations type people that would be likely to replace Elias.

Of course there is this note from @Warehouse last month, which indicates a connection (that is perhaps not a positive one!) between a prominent member of the front office and Rubinstein:

If you are looking worst case scenario I'll posit they want Cal to take over as GM.

Boy howdy would that be a disaster.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Elias just won executive of the year, I think he counts as established at this point.

I put "established" in quotes because I really meant "older" and more experience running an organization with a much bigger budget, more demands to win from ownership, and really more experience dealing with a mega-rich owner. As you and many other posters note pretty much every day, Elias has not made the trades and free agent signings that most established GM's have made. I hope Elias stays and am not trying to rain on the optimism parade, but just pointing out that new owners do have a tendency to put "their" leadership in place. Hopefully Elias and the new owners click and they see the value in his approach. 

"David Rubenstein, the billionaire Maryland resident who is leading the purchase of the team, has, however, been “actively communicating with the governor,” a source said, including Tuesday night when the news of the sale broke."

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/politics-power/state-government/orioles-sale-john-angelos-wes-moore-VKLLQWUBANBF7HRTLPQWXPGHLU/

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

I don't need to be inside someone's brain to see what makes financial sense at his position. FA at 28 signing a 5 yr mega deal (or extended a year early at 27 for same type deal), or FA at 30 being looked at in a completely different way by the market? 

Buster Posey retired after batting .302 and 20 HR. He probably could have squeezed out a decent 4 year deal adding another $60mm or more to his net worth. Sounds like a sound financial decision to me, but he decided to hang it up and spend time with his family.  I believe that is an example of not know what is in their head. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The thing is the Rubenstein rumors were aleady out at that time. I blame Wes Moore for trusting John Angelos at his word without verifying. The Orioles aren't moving anyways, but the sale of the Orioles has been rumored for a few years now.

It's called plausible deniability.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

People often choose/hire people that look, talk, think, etc., like they do. It's super common and rich and successful business people do this too. There's a good chance that how well the new owners and Elias "click" will be very important. Again, I am not trying to be super negative, just pointing out that these things happen pretty frequently.