Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

This is a well crafted ownership group.  It is nearly bullet proof.   It has plenty of financial backing beyond the price, it has local ties, it has diversity, it has past Oriole history.  If this group runs the Orioles as tightly as this group and deal have been put together...

Well, I will just say I am pretty optimistic.  

This proposed sale has uncovered some pretty large bills that are coming due however.  And while the ultimate transfer will come after the death of PA, it is likely not far into the future.

John Angelos may be the db many here are claiming, but his stewardship of the Orioles over 5 years has set the table in a way very few franchises have ever been prepared at the time of their sale.  That, aside from his pompous other failings, will always be his legacy here.  And it will look better over time if this group successfully delivers titles.

As for Peter...the small amount of good he brought Baltimore was destroyed during the 14 Years of Darkness and his meddling in the only two periods of success shortened both of those small windows.

Three decades.  It appears to be over.  Hallelujah.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think part of that is because everything has been written already about how poor Peter Angelos was as owner. What we've seen, especially over the last year or two as the Orioles have gotten good, is that John Angelos wants to adulation of the common folk (peasants/fans to him) and most importantly the attention of the media.

At the end of the day, once the sale is final, and I think that's just a formality, this will be a glorious, glorious day in Baltimore sports history.

By the way, has anyone commented on the Baltimore Sun story that the mayor was blindsided and lied to? He sounds legitimately miffed on a personal level at John. Seems a little naive given all the speculation so John really must have bald faced lied about their intentions. Non paywalled version here. 

https://www.arcamax.com/sports/baseball/s-3092354-p1

If John is so committed to Baltimore ,he can develop the land around Camden Yards now. He can go get some private funds and start his vision.  Has anyone seen his development plans?  Go ask the Governor,MSA or any other government agency if they have seen a real thought out plan. Maybe he might be too busy as an advisor.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

If John is so committed to Baltimore ,he can develop the land around Camden Yards now. He can go get some private funds and start his vision.  Has anyone seen his development plans?  Go ask the Governor,MSA or any other government agency if they have seen a real thought out plan. Maybe he might be too busy as an advisor.

He should have plenty of cash to self-fund this now.  If he's such a great businessman, then he should take the hundreds of millions he's getting in cash and found and operate a profitable business that doesn't require government handouts.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

When was the last time you saw a non-diverse baseball team?

Tut-tut, Froberto Clemente!  Diversity on the baseball field is okay but it's silly to think that diversity in the front office and an ownership group is something to be looked at in a positive light! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The reference was about ownership, not the players on the field.

I question how diverse this ownership group is anyway.  Seems like the primary owners are all rich, white, Jewish guys, and Cal Ripken.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tut-tut, Froberto Clemente!  Diversity on the baseball field is okay but it's silly to think that diversity in the front office and an ownership group is something to be looked at in a positive light! 

You can look at it as positively as you want but I don’t care if the team is owned by 10 white men or a trans masculine black woman who is in love with a tree, as long as they win and spend the money on the resources needed, that’s all I or anyone else should care about.

• Haha 1