Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You can look at it as positively as you want but I don’t care if the team is owned by 10 white men or a trans masculine black woman who is in love with a tree, as long as they win and spend the money on the resources needed, that’s all I or anyone else should care about.

Interesting.  I beg to differ, I think you couldn't help yourself and would endlessly mock an owner such as the one you describe but as long as you're kidding yourself into thinking you'd be okay with that, we can agree that spending good money and winning is all that matters.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But I’m guessing he just wanted things handed to him. It’s kind of a character trait to certain groups of people.

Wow!  Am I reading too much into this?   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Interesting.  I beg to differ, I think you couldn't help yourself and would endlessly mock an owner such as the one you describe but as long as you're kidding yourself into thinking you'd be okay with that, we can agree that spending good money and winning is all that matters.

Oh I would mock the hell out of them but if they did the right thing for the org, I could overlook it.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have thought this same thing. It’s like, if this is so important to you, sell the team, get the money to do it and fund it yourself. If you do it the right way, you will make it back and then some.  

But I’m guessing he just wanted things handed to him. It’s kind of a character trait to certain groups of people.

Does "he" get the money or does it go to the estate?  I suspect it's the latter and that would put PA's wife and Lou very much back in the picture would it not?  Maybe they don't share his vision for civic good works.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There’s literally no reason for fans to care if the sales price was lower than expected. The Angelos family only gets ten times their original investment — boo hoo!  None of that cash is going to the team. If anything, it leaves more money in the new owners’ pockets that can be invested in the team (if the new owners are so inclined) rather than paid to the former owners.

Your last sentence was my inferred point.  

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s involved with the Ripken baseball stuff. He’s been around the game his entire life and that’s in addition to his playing career. What makes you think he wouldn’t be a good mentor or coach?

Im just curious to get your thinking on this. I expect that Cal will likely be involved in the front office in some capacity. And really don’t think he will be involved with the on field stuff.

@foxfield What’s confusing about what I said?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh I would mock the hell out of them but if they did the right thing for the org, I could overlook it.

Maybe Rubenstein's daughter will take over after his death. You would be so happy.

Gabrielle, who was one of the many Alaska co-chairs for Trump in 2016, is co-founder of Manna Tree, an investment firm based in Colorado. Her father has a 10 percent interest in the company, according to a 2019 report. The company aims to “reinvent” private equity investing for the next 30 years.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't want to get too far into this because we can go down into a rabbit hole that I do not want to get into here, but diversity of thought and ideas from people with different backgrounds certainly should be something an ownership group should look for. 

This isn't diversity for the sake of diversity so you can check a box or virtue signal, but truly bringing in people from different backgrounds certainly could bring in fresh ideas or enable the team to overcome a unique challenge at the business level. As long as that doesn't get forced into the baseball operations where I want the best people regardless of any box that they check, I don't see why this would be a bad thing.

That's all nice but does anyone really think "the group" in ownership group really does anything?  My view is that unless they have a decent stake-which they don't- they are either passive investors, friends/asssociates or ambassadors for the team/city.   

25 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

@foxfield What’s confusing about what I said?

I do not think it would reasonable to expect Cal Ripken to have any real working capacity in the front office. 

His participation is much more likely to be a sign of roots here in Baltimore. And his position is likely to be more of a figurehead. But of course this remains to be seen. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Some people like Grant Hill because he went to Duke. Some people don’t. That’s just an NCAAB comment. 

You have to really try hard to not like Hill. He’s one of the nicest and classiest people you will ever be around.. I haven’t been around him but he has a lot of Brooks vibes to him when you hear people talk about him.

I don’t know how involved he will be in things but having good people around is always a good thing.

• Upvote 1