Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You have to really try hard to not like Hill. He’s one of the nicest and classiest people you will ever be around.. I haven’t been around him but he has a lot of Brooks vibes to him when you hear people talk about him.

I don’t know how involved he will be in things but having good people around is always a good thing.

Nope, he still went to Duke. That’s how this works. There’s only been one exception… Lefty. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So glad it has diversity. Can’t be a winning org without that!  

Someone just pointed out that it seemed to be a somewhat diverse group and that it to them it was a positive. Why even bother doing this? 

6 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Someone just pointed out that it seemed to be a somewhat diverse group and that it to them it was a positive. Why even bother doing this? 

It’s a button pusher of mine with how screwed up all of this bs is nowadays. I have seen the same stuff mentioned on twitter and how it’s a banner day for the org because of it.  It’s all just bs narrative stuff that gets old.

But fair enough..didn’t mean for it to become anything more than just joking around about it.  Apologies to the board and especially Tony.

• Upvote 1

Present Oriole ownership group Pam Shriver still on it.

Peter Angelos

John Angelos

Louis Angelos

William Beatson Jr.

David Bernstein

Estate of Tom Clancy

Jack Dunn IV

Wayne Gioioso

Wanda King

Marion I and Henry J Knott Foundation

Estate of John LaPorte Jr.

Barry Levinson

Harvey Meyerhoff

James Riepe

George Stamas

Pam Shriver

Alfred Tyler Jr.

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

That's all nice but does anyone really think "the group" in ownership group really does anything?  My view is that unless they have a decent stake-which they don't- they are either passive investors, friends/asssociates or ambassadors for the team/city.   

I think there are several members of this group who could provide substantive input for Rubenstein to consider.  As I mentioned, Bloomberg runs a huge cable network and could be very useful on MASN.  Schmoke is a former mayor of Baltimore and can help on political issues that they obviously have (this is true regardless of what you think of his political views).   Cal may be asked to weigh in on operational issues (hopefully, only when a voice outside of team management is needed).   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

Hmmm, that's curious because there are 13 names outside of Angelos/Clancy and originally Pam had 2% and all the other owners had 1% so that totals 14% and Clancy had 24% leaving Angelos at 62%, a bit short of 70% the new group is buying. I remember PA bought out 1-2 of them when they encountered financial difficulties. Then Louis "implied" JA was using PA's funds to acquire additional shares. I suppose we will never know.

Just now, Malike said:

The Athletic did a piece today with "Industry analysts and MLB insiders" whatever that means, but the consensus seems to be that they sold "low" at 1.725B.

To me that's all about MASN. I imagine a healthy and profitable MASN would have driven that number up a lot. However, it might also have led to no sale. I really don't think the Angelos family has much interest in setting more MASN money on fire with the rights fees and all that. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

To me that's all about MASN. I imagine a healthy and profitable MASN would have driven that number up a lot. However, it might also have led to no sale. I really don't think the Angelos family has much interest in setting more MASN money on fire with the rights fees and all that. 

They are reporting that MASN is in the deal. in 2022 Forbes estimated the O's value at 1.71B and that was without MASN.

9 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Hmmm, that's curious because there are 13 names outside of Angelos/Clancy and originally Pam had 2% and all the other owners had 1% so that totals 14% and Clancy had 24% leaving Angelos at 62%, a bit short of 70% the new group is buying. I remember PA bought out 1-2 of them when they encountered financial difficulties. Then Louis "implied" JA was using PA's funds to acquire additional shares. I suppose we will never know.

I remember that in one of his interviews last year, John Angelos specified what percentage his family then owned.   It was definitely over 70%.  I’ll see if I can dig that up.