Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

John Angelos lied. How surprising? Who did the state think that they were negotiating with? If any of this is true, the Moore administration has only themselves to blame for having the wool pulled over their eyes. The Angeloses lie that's fundamentally what they do and have always done.

The thing is the Rubenstein rumors were aleady out at that time. I blame Wes Moore for trusting John Angelos at his word without verifying. The Orioles aren't moving anyways, but the sale of the Orioles has been rumored for a few years now.

45 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

While this is true and I agree with the premise, Elias' calculus concerning value will almost assuredly change with a much more robust/healthy budget to spend from. When you are at the poverty line (Angelos' budget) EVERYTHING that you do/spend is on the absolute essentials. But when you have more discretionary means, you have way more options that you can consider such as luxury items that you wouldn't have dreamed of before.

Sure. I think we’re saying the same thing. But assume Rubenstein is approved next week and takes over full control - a big IF - he can’t come in and say “Scotty, what’s the rate for Blake Snell? 9 years and $270m?” without Elias wanting to pump the brakes. I’m being silly of course but Elias is going to voice concerns if Rubenstein wants to make a splash that Elias thinks is going to compromise the payroll flexibility of future teams, even if it’s Rubenstein’s money to spend.  They are way below a reasonable threshold now but eventually as all of their current young players will go through arb and make things tighter.

If Rubenstein is taking over immediately, I do think there’s a possibility that everything aligns such that they could be willing to match / offer something comparable to the 6/150 from the Yankees that Boras rejected (and is maybe off the table now), even though that’s not a deal Elias would typically go for absent all the other factors. It feels like a perfect storm where that could actually be the optimal way forward. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The thing is the Rubenstein rumors were aleady out at that time. I blame Wes Moore for trusting John Angelos at his word without verifying. The Orioles aren't moving anyways, but the sale of the Orioles has been rumored for a few years now.

I assume that city and state leaders are happy about the sale. They want fans at the stadium and a financially stable organization. And heck, some of them are even Orioles fans. They know what's what. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..there has been plenty of smoke about this. If Moore was dumb enough to believe this guy, that’s on him.

Eh, I don't really believe he didn't know. 

Maybe Davis didn't know, but I'm sure Moore knew. How much more value is there in the team now that the lease is official?

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

Heard on MLB Network a little bit ago that approval of this sale would be discussed at the owner's meeting next week.

None of us have any idea where this process is. The sale could get approved on Tuesday, then Snell and Montgomery are O's on Thursday.

Connor Newcombe on the Locked on Orioles podcast said he doesn't think this sale will have any impact on the rest of this current off-season, so I'm not getting too excited about Snell or Montgomery.

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I assume that city and state leaders are happy about the sale. They want fans at the stadium and a financially stable organization. And heck, some of them are even Orioles fans. They know what's what. 

Moore probably had a sweet deal set up with Angelos and now has to deal with someone that doesn't owe him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

Everyone seems to assume that the new owners will happily keep Elias et al. They may want their "own" person after a year or so. That definitely happens frequently. 

Why would you want to part ways with a man who has brought in more young talent than anyone in the history of this organization? Ya'll are just looking for anything to be mad at or worry about.  Those days are over.  The arrow is finally pointing up. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Connor Newcombe on the Locked on Orioles podcast said he doesn't think this sale will have any impact on the rest of this current off-season, so I'm not getting too excited about Snell or Montgomery.

I don't either.  I think it's stay the course until 2025.

2 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Why would you want to part ways with a man who has brought in more young talent than anyone in the history of this organization? Ya'll are just looking for anything to be mad at or worry about.  Those days are over.  The arrow is finally pointing up. 

To put their own stamp on things.  They might not even be aware of who Elias is.  They might just think the Orioles have mostly sucked and now we're in charge so we're going to mix things up.  And we must be the smartest people to do it because we're super-rich.

Don't underestimate the pride factor with some folks.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Everyone seems to assume that the new owners will happily keep Elias et al. They may want their "own" person after a year or so. That definitely happens frequently. 

Looking at past MLB sales I found a common theme that the team wasn't very good at the time. So that in itself explains the want to change things up. The Orioles are in a very different situation. 

• Upvote 2

I get the MLB "Orioles Beat" newsletter (written by Jake Rill) e-mailed to me. I just got today's newsletter, and the only topics discussed are Dillon Tate, Jordan Westburg, & the moving trucks heading to Sarasota. So MLB is just as silent as MASN is.