Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

It is a private transaction, it should not have been told to the govt before announced to the public. It is not the governments business who owns the Orioles, only that they have an obligation to the terms of the lease that they have signed

Sun article

.On Orioles sale, Maryland state treasurer says of Angelos: ‘We were lied to’ – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/01/31/on-orioles-sale-maryland-state-treasurer-says-of-angelos-we-were-lied-to/

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Sun article

.On Orioles sale, Maryland state treasurer says of Angelos: ‘We were lied to’ – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/01/31/on-orioles-sale-maryland-state-treasurer-says-of-angelos-we-were-lied-to/

Oh there will be plenty of drama before this is all said and done, you can count on that. 

Edited by interloper
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

It is a private transaction, it should not have been told to the govt before announced to the public. It is not the governments business who owns the Orioles, only that they have an obligation to the terms of the lease that they have signed

Right.  While Johnny was desperately trying to get every cent he could out of the stadium deal, I'm sure he made certain promises to Wes.  Then the lease finally gets done and JA bolts. 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Sun article

On Orioles sale, Maryland state treasurer says of Angelos: ‘We were lied to’

Gov. Wes Moore, center, who chairs a three-member public works board, which includes fellow Democrats Comptroller Brooke Lierman, left, and state Treasurer Dereck Davis, right, signs a lease agreement with the Baltimore Orioles to remain at Camden Yards. (Kevin Richardson/Baltimore Sun)

After the news broke that the Angelos family will sell the Baltimore Orioles, just six weeks after agreeing to a lease keeping the team in the city for at least 15 years, Maryland State Treasurer Dereck Davis said the state was misled.

Amid reports indicating the possibility of a sale, John Angelos, the team’s MLB control person, called Democratic Gov. Wes Moore in December to assure him he would not sell, according to a source familiar with the call.

But Baltimore native and billionaire David Rubenstein has reached a $1.725 billion agreement to buy the team, along with an ownership group expected to include Oriole legend Cal Ripken Jr., sources familiar with the deal told The Baltimore Sun on Tuesday.

“We were lied to,” Davis said during Wednesday morning’s state Board of Public Works meeting in Annapolis.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm holding off celebrating until Roch confirms sometime next week.

Isn't that the truth! I just went over there and the latest article from yesterday at 4am (about Coulombe, Webb, and Mullins) and there's almost 5800 comments about the news of the sale. I didn't check to see if any were replies from Roch, but I'm not gonna waste my time looking, either. 

52 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Sure. I think we’re saying the same thing. But assume Rubenstein is approved next week and takes over full control - a big IF - he can’t come in and say “Scotty, what’s the rate for Blake Snell? 9 years and $270m?” without Elias wanting to pump the brakes. I’m being silly of course but Elias is going to voice concerns if Rubenstein wants to make a splash that Elias thinks is going to compromise the payroll flexibility of future teams, even if it’s Rubenstein’s money to spend.  They are way below a reasonable threshold now but eventually as all of their current young players will go through arb and make things tighter.

If Rubenstein is taking over immediately, I do think there’s a possibility that everything aligns such that they could be willing to match / offer something comparable to the 6/150 from the Yankees that Boras rejected (and is maybe off the table now), even though that’s not a deal Elias would typically go for absent all the other factors. It feels like a perfect storm where that could actually be the optimal way forward. 

Yes we agree in principal (I think).

I'm saying that I believe that Rubenstein and Arougheti with the means that they bring will empower Elias to achieve the goals that he desires with hinderance. These are smart people who have made billions... not John Angelos, who has never done anything but inherit a baseball team from his rich father and tried his best to run it into the ground.

I don't think that these smart people (one who is from Baltimore and has witnessed up close and personal the awfulness and the many mistakes of Angelos) are going to force anything on Elias like that. They will almost assuredly allow him to run the baseball ops. And I believe now that he is not handcuffed by Scrooge McAngelos, he will no longer be forced to bargain basement shop for every acquisition. He actually has real money to spend now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

On Orioles sale, Maryland state treasurer says of Angelos: ‘We were lied to’

Gov. Wes Moore, center, who chairs a three-member public works board, which includes fellow Democrats Comptroller Brooke Lierman, left, and state Treasurer Dereck Davis, right, signs a lease agreement with the Baltimore Orioles to remain at Camden Yards. (Kevin Richardson/Baltimore Sun)

After the news broke that the Angelos family will sell the Baltimore Orioles, just six weeks after agreeing to a lease keeping the team in the city for at least 15 years, Maryland State Treasurer Dereck Davis said the state was misled.

Amid reports indicating the possibility of a sale, John Angelos, the team’s MLB control person, called Democratic Gov. Wes Moore in December to assure him he would not sell, according to a source familiar with the call.

But Baltimore native and billionaire David Rubenstein has reached a $1.725 billion agreement to buy the team, along with an ownership group expected to include Oriole legend Cal Ripken Jr., sources familiar with the deal told The Baltimore Sun on Tuesday.

“We were lied to,” Davis said during Wednesday morning’s state Board of Public Works meeting in Annapolis.

No one cares, Dereck. 

This is high comedy. Politicians make careers out of lying their asses off and now they’re whining about being lied to. Go kick rocks. 

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, my point it is that is very naaive for anyone in the govt to have ever believed that they had some apriori right of notification for the sell of the O's.

If JA told him that they would then they were being foolish to believe him

Anyway why would it matter to the State Treasurer?

Did he lose his club level seats?

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Lol it's true, like... so what dude, shut up. The lease is done and Angelos is taking a hike, eat the catered meeting breakfast and clam up. 

But he may have higher office in mind and this gets his name in the paper.

We were wondering at the agency I work for that if JA also got the land deal in the lease would he have still sold the team? 

59 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Everyone seems to assume that the new owners will happily keep Elias et al. They may want their "own" person after a year or so. That definitely happens frequently. 

Rubenstein and Arougheti are really smart and successful people who have made BILLIONS. As such, I assume that they have made themselves very familiar with all things Orioles and the inner workings of the baseball ops AND they know based on all of the empirical data that Elias and Syg know what they are doing. And they won't want to mess that up or stand in the way of their success ... actions smart people take. With Rubenstein being from Baltimore, I pretty sure it's safe to assume that he knows how the Angelos have operated and are perceived by his potential customer base. 

I get based on all of the trauma that the awful Angelos plague has put us through to be skeptical that it might finally be all over. But I think it's safe to say when the sale goes through, things will change for the better. It's very doubtful the new owners will find anyone better for the job than Elias, thus I highly doubt that he is moved/let go/replaced.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Rubenstein and Arougheti are really smart and successful people who have made BILLIONS. As such, I assume that they have made themselves very familiar with all things Orioles and the inner workings of the baseball ops AND they know based on all of the empirical data that Elias and Syg know what they are doing. And they won't want to mess that up or stand in the way of their success ... actions smart people take. With Rubenstein being from Baltimore, I pretty sure it's safe to assume that he knows how the Angelos have operated and are perceived by his potential customer base. 

I get based on all of the trauma that the awful Angelos plague has put us through to be skeptical that it might finally be all over. But I think it's safe to say when the sale goes through, things will change for the better. It's very doubtful the new owners will find anyone better for the job than Elias, thus I highly doubt that he is moved/let go/replaced.

Rubenstein was at a few Oriole games last year.Fan since childhood of the Orioles.  I am sure he knows what is going on.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one cares, Dereck. 

This is high comedy. Politicians make careers out of lying their asses off and now they’re whining about being lied to. Go kick rocks. 

The politicians should be happy they no longer have to deal with the Angelos family once the sale is approved. 

1 minute ago, TopGunnar said:

Great news. Now I need somebody smarter (won’t be hard) than me to tell me how this might affect this off season.

It won't affect this off season. That's the likeliest scenario.

If it ends up affecting the off season, great, it's a wonderful surprise. 

• Like 1