Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it's likely that Rubenstein will be a better owner, but again... I'm an Orioles fan. I am ready for the rug pull at any moment. I'm surprised more aren't treating this news more carefully. 

Not only that, but temper immediate expectations. There is going to be a new sherrif in town - one that I hope/expect gives Elias a better budget to work with at the major league level. I'm not expecting something (a big splash) right away except perhaps a long-range commitment to Elias & Co. That should be the starter. If that occures, we can play ball with anyone going forward IMHO.

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Apparently Roch started his posting streak on August 1, 2008.  If he doesn't have a blog post today the streak will end at 5660 days.

Which is more than the sum of Cal's streak of games played (2632) and Ernie Tyler's streak of consecutive games as clubhouse attendant (3890).

Whoop de do.   It’s not that hard to recycle old stuff on days when you have nothing new or interesting to say.  “This, that and the other.”   “Leftovers for breakfast.”   Whatever.  I don’t mind Roch at all but the streak was pointess and to compare it to Cal’s is absurd.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Whoop de do.   It’s not that hard to recycle old stuff on days when you have nothing new or interesting to say.  “This, that and the other.”   “Leftovers for breakfast.”   Whatever.  I don’t mind Roch at all but the streak was pointess and to compare it to Cal’s is absurd.  

I was a little surprised that multiple people made comment of it as if it was a big deal. Who cares? 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Roch confirms the "streak" is over. Lol

4 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Everybody that has any level of intelligence knows John Angelos is full of Shite! And he’s a Liar ….Oops meant Lawyer. Only a politician would be dumb enough to believe he was being honest. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agrees. Roch's streak is much more impressive. 

This team could be straight up dominate year after year for the next 5 if the right pieces are added around what we have now. Rubenstein knows this I am sure. He could not have walked into a better situation. Time to maximize all of that. The next 3 years will set the stage for the next 30. 

I find it incredibly amusing that a politician is complaining about Angelos lying.  The State got fairly ironclad 15 year agreement with the Orioles (the same 15 years that the Ravens signed for).  Clearly, they are not going to give up development rights now, unless Rubenstein wants to pursue that, but who cares?  Politicians are only happy when they get to see their names in the papers.  Especially ones in an obscure position like State Treasurer.  Most people have no clue what the Comptroller or Treasurer do.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

It is a private transaction, it should not have been told to the govt before announced to the public. It is not the governments business who owns the Orioles, only that they have an obligation to the terms of the lease that they have signed

This is an overgeneralization.  Certain governmental approvals are required for private transactions all the time and the government is told before announced to the public.  I don't know if that was necessary here, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was a notice requirement for a change of control of the lessee in the lease.