Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

10 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I like that idea. Would be cool if they did some baseball coverage outside D1 too: Salisbury, Frostburg, and Harford CC for example have been lights out in college baseball

I think ESPN+ owns the college baseball market.  I don't know what the contract is exactly but if you are a fan of college baseball I highly recommend subscribing.  They have TONS of games on all spring. 

49 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It sounds like you're saying sports franchise owners from out of town don't care enough about their investment to care about the community and what that team means to it?

Well …. The senior owner is a Baltimore guy but let’s face it he’s old. I was speaking about the Mike Arougheti. I don’t believe we’d know if he’d continue as owner, cash out (remember he’s and investor), etc.

BTW, other owners… Michael Bloomberg and former NBA owners Grant Hill.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Even so, I think I would wait until formal approval before making any substantial commitments which is why I'm skeptical about the sale having any immediate impact.  I can't tell you how much I would like to be wrong about that.

Like you I would like a turn key deal but I think this is more likely

Washington Post:

"But while the agreement is in place, the partial sale to Rubenstein is not necessarily imminent. Major League Baseball’s owners must approve the move, and can do so by a vote only after a smaller committee of owners does due diligence on the financing and logistics. It is not clear whether that process has started yet, and multiple people familiar with the situation said Wednesday that they do not expect the other 29 owners to vote on a sale at their quarterly meetings in Orlando next week. That process likely would not happen until the next owners’ meetings, which will take place this summer."

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Well …. The senior owner is a Baltimore guy but let’s face it he’s old. I was speaking about the Mike Arougheti. I don’t believe we’d know if he’d continue as owner, cash out (remember he’s and investor), etc.

Rubenstein is a Duke graduate so not shocking Grant Hill would be involved.  Grant is one of the real good guys.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I find it incredibly amusing that a politician is complaining about Angelos lying.  The State got fairly ironclad 15 year agreement with the Orioles (the same 15 years that the Ravens signed for).  Clearly, they are not going to give up development rights now, unless Rubenstein wants to pursue that, but who cares?  Politicians are only happy when they get to see their names in the papers.  Especially ones in an obscure position like State Treasurer.  Most people have no clue what the Comptroller or Treasurer do.

The state was handing over free money and the Orioles -John Angelos- tried to leverage it for more. 

I know nothing about the politician complaining but I guess we should live in a world where we constantly look the other way on everything. Anyone with a functioning brain also knows that Rubenstein was in on it as well. 

From the radio — David Samson

John is staying on as an advisor 

Rubbenstein has Power now

MASN is part of the deal….MASN is not the asset it used to be. Feels that the price is light. Surprised , compared amount to Marlins sale from a number of years ago.

Documents have already been signed. Approval could come fast. Expects the commissioner to have the votes.

”Collective Goal to Bring WS to Baltimore Orioles” by Rubbenstein 

Believes they have assurances from MLB already…

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

From the radio — David Samson

John is staying on as an advisor 

Rubbenstein has Power now

MASN is part of the deal….MASN is not the asset it used to be. Feels that the price is light. Surprised , compared amount to Marlins sale from a number of years ago.

Documents have already been signed. Approval could come fast. Expects the commissioner to have the votes.

”Collective Goal to Bring WS to Baltimore Orioles” by Rubbenstein 

Believes they have assurances from MLB already…

How can Rubenstein have power if the sale of the Orioles hasn't been approved?

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don't really care where the ownership comes from.  

Let me be clear, there's some romancing going on about the new ownership being from Baltimore...which is cool, it's great.  Warm and fuzzies.  The guy is from the area and that makes a great story.  Hey, he's one of us, as one of us as a billionaire can be.

Angelos, Baltimore born and bred.  Eli Jacobs, not from the area, but he wasn't the owner that long.  Edward Bennett Williams, a transplant to the area and previously owned the Redskins so he felt like he belonged.  Hoffberger, from Baltimore.  

So there seems to be some kind of entitlement that anyone who wants to own the Orioles needs to be from Baltimore because most of them have been from the area or at the very least have some significant ties to the area.

But that's silly and provincial.  If the Rubenstein ownership is successful and Arougheti is part of that and continues to be owner after Rubenstein passes on, who cares if he's from New York and not Baltimore?  Who cares about where Bloomberg and Grant Hill (Reston, VA) are from?  

Like I said, there seems to be some Baltimore thing that's absurdly silly.  I mean, Angelos is as Baltimore as it gets and was a terrible owner and then there was always this dark cloud hanging over the franchise about moving to Nashville when his son took over.  So who gives a crap about whether or not the owners are from Baltimore?

• Upvote 1