Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Don't remember seeing this posted in here.

John Ourand was on Foul Territory today and he said near the beginning of his segment that he has a source in the MLB offices that told him today this sale would be over in weeks, not months.

Sounds right.  You cant see MLB crossing swords with Bloomberg over anything.  Would you want to cross the guy?  He probably has lots of legal ways to make your life miserable if he wants to.   

42 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Don't remember seeing this posted in here.

John Ourand was on Foul Territory today and he said near the beginning of his segment that he has a source in the MLB offices that told him today this sale would be over in weeks, not months.

Thanks.     Apparently  since this wasn’t “on the docket/agenda” for next weeks meeting, it may take a few weeks to finalize.   The vote will pass but MLB will double check all the owners to make sure that none of them are Dan Synder .. :)

If it’s actually a matter of weeks and not months then you’d have to think that Rubenstein could green light a Snell/Montgomery deal before the season and, if the Orioles convey legitimate interest, it makes sense for Boras to wait to get the extra bidder involved. It also increases the odds of them doing what Olney alluded to - past teams making moves before ownership fully transferred - if it’s determined to be pretty much a done deal.

Now, we have no idea if the Rubenstein Orioles would even be interested in the type of deal that Snell/Montgomery are going to get, but it sure looks like a possibility that the chips fell such that two of the top free agent SP are still available at the tail end of the offseason when the Orioles may finally have the ability to jump in the ring. 

37 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Sounds right.  You cant see MLB crossing swords with Bloomberg over anything.  Would you want to cross the guy?  He probably has lots of legal ways to make your life miserable if he wants to.   

It’s not a matter of crossing swords with Bloomberg.   It’s a matter of how much time it takes to do a careful review.  I’m sure MLB would like to do this as quickly as reasonable for them.  There’s no incentive for them to slow this down unnecessarily.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If it’s actually a matter of weeks and not months then you’d have to think that Rubenstein could green light a Snell/Montgomery deal before the season and, if the Orioles convey legitimate interest, it makes sense for Boras to wait to get the extra bidder involved. It also increases the odds of them doing what Olney alluded to - past teams making moves before ownership fully transferred - if it’s determined to be pretty much a done deal.

Now, we have no idea if the Rubenstein Orioles would even be interested in the type of deal that Snell/Montgomery are going to get, but it sure looks like a possibility that the chips fell such that two of the top free agent SP are still available at the tail end of the offseason when the Orioles may finally have the ability to jump in the ring. 

Do not get your hopes up on this.

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

MLBtraderumors says it will take months for MLB to do background checks on the various new owners. So it doesn't sound like this will be quick ajnd easy like some hope.

Hard to say.  These aren’t exactly low profile people.   Weeks seems realistic to me, but we’ll see.  I think it’s kind of unimportant, because I doubt Rubenstein is going to want to make major changes in direction in his first five minutes on the job.  If Elias wants him to approve something that’s pretty teed up, then maybe.

11 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Do not get your hopes up on this.

You can’t tell me what to do. The Orioles are signing Snell/Montgomery AND trading for Cease! 😄

(Seriously though, I am still expecting the Orioles to only sign Lorenzen or Ryu or someone else uninspiring or just do nothing else at all. Maybe an unexpected but still relatively minor trade. But I do think new ownership will eventually unlock much more willingness to spend than was the case under Angelos, I just think it’s impossible to predict when precisely that’s going to be or how it will manifest.)

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Says John lied to the state of Maryland about there being a pending sale.  Naugthy boy.

John he may have been truthful he wasnt selling until he didnt get his project money. For whatever reason that may have been the deal breaker to him wanting to keep the O's.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Says John lied to the state of Maryland about there being a pending sale.  Naugthy boy.

And Brooke Lierman said he definitely lied but that it doesn’t really matter because they knew there was a good chance the Angelos family would sell at some point soon no matter what John said, and negotiated the deal accordingly.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

You can’t tell me what to do. The Orioles are signing Snell/Montgomery AND trading for Cease! 😄

(Seriously though, I am still expecting the Orioles to only sign Lorenzen or Ryu or someone else uninspiring or just do nothing else at all. Maybe an unexpected but still relatively minor trade. But I do think new ownership will eventually unlock much more willingness to spend than was the case under Angelos, I just think it’s impossible to predict when precisely that’s going to be or how it will manifest.)

Ryu would be a decent get, but he has durability concerns.