Hypothetical question

cnmilton

2 hours ago, cnmilton said:

Would fan's be happy If the Orioles are not able to acquire a front line starter, but instead signed both Adley and Gunnar to contract extentions thuis offseason?

The devil is in the details, but yes.  It's still the consolation prize though.

I've wanted to sign Adley to an extension for a while, but I have to say rationally speaking just knowing he's a Catcher and will get beat up playing Catcher kind of leaves me going back and forth on the risks of that.

Like 24fps said, it's in the details.... It really depends on how much you can save in the long run buying out their free agency years. In the short term, it's hard to beat paying 3 years of league minimum.

Give Mike Elias long term job security, and then the best thing to do is defer to Mike Elias's judgement on such things.

But as a fan, my answer would be yes I'd be happy with an extension for Adley and Gunnar long term.

I took my nephew to the Sunday Night game against the Yankees and he specifically mentioned to me that what he liked about the Orioles this year was the fact our players are home grown. So he would answer this question a solid yes to extending Adley and Gunnar even if it cost a free agent signing.

All of that said, I still want to compete in the top tier of the free agent market. Getting a guy like that can trigger a World Series dynasty, just like the rebuilding 90s Yankees proved when they got David Cone, and the rebuilding 2010s Astros proved when they got Cole/Verlander. 

I just looked at the list of 2025 free agents and you have guys like...

Max Fried

Corbin Burnes

Max Scherzer

Zack Wheeler

Gerrit Cole (if he opts out)

Jaun Soto

Paul Goldschmidt

Pete Alonso

Jose Altuve

Alex Bregman

Shane Beiber

Now some of those could probably become a serious overpay (like Chris Davis) due to them being in the twilight of their careers. But they are all prestigious names as baseball players, and worth scouting over the season for consideration.

9 hours ago, cnmilton said:

Would fan's be happy If the Orioles are not able to acquire a front line starter, but instead signed both Adley and Gunnar to contract extentions thuis offseason?

It’s not necessary that it’s one or the other.

Yes, I would be ecstatic with them signing Adley and Gunnar to an extension. The FA class for next year looks really strong. I know it’s still a pipe dream, but signing Soto to tee off in RF for the next decade would be amazing. 

9 hours ago, cnmilton said:

Would fan's be happy If the Orioles are not able to acquire a front line starter, but instead signed both Adley and Gunnar to contract extentions this offseason?

Questions for you: Why does it have to be an either/or? Why can't they do both in terms of signing young stars long term and trying to make meaningful moves to improve a championship caliber team? Is that too much to ask for?

Just now, RZNJ said:

If that’s the choice, yes.  Lots of folks here still can’t answer hypotheticals.

Right?? I was just about to say the same thing. Why can’t people just answer what’s asked instead of what they want to answer. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Right?? I was just about to say the same thing. Why can’t people just answer what’s asked instead of what they want to answer. 

Don’t know.  It’s pretty easy.   

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Holliday could be the most realistic to sign an extension. He hasn’t played in the MLB yet so theoretically has a little more risk. He also just got married so he probably wants to buy his own house and everything. 

Pretty sure his dad can help out with a down payment!