MASN Speculation with the Sale

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Would you pay that for MASN?   

I would pay the per month charge…it’s less than I am essentially paying now.

I have DirecTV streaming during baseball season. That is like $30/month more than YoutubeTV is but DirecTV has MaSN, so I pay the extra money to watch the Os.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thankfully I can just get MLB.tv.

They were handed something with great potential with MASN and they've squandered it.

Pretty bewildering honestly that no one was able to convince them to build it up.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thankfully I can just get MLB.com

They were handed something with great potential with MASN and they've squandered it.

Pretty bewildering honestly that no one was able to convince them to build it up.

I do think they minimized the value of the asset, but part of its diminution is due to factors far beyond anyone’s control, i.e., cord-cutting.   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If I could get it, yes.  I live out of market and pay for MLB.TV so I can watch the Os now.  If I could get MASN without jumping through VPN hoops and the like I'd rather do that so I get more pre-game and post game stuff than what is available on MLB.TV.  I don't see that availability happening, but if it did I'd likely do it on a monthly basis during baseball season.  I do the same thing for college football with YouTube.tv.  Season ends, cancel until next year.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do think they minimized the value of the asset, but part of its diminution is due to factors far beyond anyone’s control, i.e., cord-cutting.   

Sure but they had a decade of good times to build it into something impressive and from what I've heard mostly run WSOP reruns and Sportscenter.

They left so much money on the table.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure but they had a decade of good times to build it into something impressive and from what I've heard mostly run WSOP reruns and Sportscenter.

They left so much money on the table.

Can’t disagree.  

It occurs to me that new investor Michael Bloomberg knows a little something about how to run a cable network.  Maybe that’s his value-add here, in addition to being a source of cash.   

Rubenstein has connections to Leonsis from his previous exploration of buying the Nats, and I can almost guarantee that he has strong connections to the Lerners from various social circles in Washington.  Hopefully, Rubenstein & co., who are deal-makers, can figure out a way to make MASN a win-win situation for the O’s and Nats rather than a zero-sum game.  I like the chances of that happening a lot better under the new ownership group.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That's certainly a lot better than subscribing to ATT/DirecTV streaming at $100+/month just to get MASN. And more legal than, for one completely hypothetical example, borrowing someone else's DirecTV login to access the MASN app.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thankfully I can just get MLB.tv.

They were also handed a franchise that had massive history and championships and Cal Ripken and a groundbreaking brand new stadium and no one was able to convince them to not crash that into a wall.

18 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

IMO …The Orioles would need to hold onto the advantage over the Gnats. I think Rubenstein and his team are smart and will figure out how to maintain it.

Hard to say. Leonsis would have to pay the O's for broadcast rights. I'm sure the O's will make the best deal they can, whichever way that goes.

30 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They were also handed a franchise that had massive history and championships and Cal Ripken and a groundbreaking brand new stadium and no one was able to convince them to not crash that into a wall.

But they at least tried to win.

They put no effort into MASN.

MASN is the souce, in my view, of the vast majority of drama when it comes to the organization. You had the Gary Thorne exit, the weird ST botches where they had to get Roch in to call like the entire game one time, the Kevin Brown incident, Roch's weird blog protest, the constant litigation with the Nats, the app struggles, layoffs...

It's all just very silly and I hope we can really get some adult supervision going on. There's a lot of room for improvement and part of the ownership commitment to the fans should be a normally functionig RSN that isn't a source of constant bad press and weird vibes. 

Edited by interloper

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they at least tried to win.

They put no effort into MASN.

Remember when @rshack (I think that's right? - been 15 years since I thought of that name) was in the middle of a bunch of long threads here arguing with with us how it was totally legit that MASN was broadcasting in 480i standard def years after every other major channel had gone HD, because it was expensive and hard and... something about trucks and buying HD video trucks, and Angelos couldn't afford that! I mean, who needs HD? Back in my day we watched the Brooklyn Dodgers on a static-y 3" black and white set with rabbit ear antennas and it was heaven!

Good times...

22 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Someone who is obviously in the know with all of this told me to watch for a Leonsis angle coming up soon. I would not be surprised at all if he ends up buying MASN. I just hope he gets rids of this stupid MASN one and MASN two thing and gives each team the same network always. 

What happens if the O's and Nats play at the same time? How would they be broadcasted separately?