Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Approx. 4 different people asked him on the general impact of Burnes to the team/rotation. 

I mean, Jerry Coleman will always ask stupid questions.  Harbaugh basically calls him out on that every week.  After answering the question multiple times, Jerry asked, how long have you been talking to the Brewers?

Another guy asked about the lift off comment, which clearly annoys Elias.

There are so many questions worth asking about the trade, the make up of the team, moves going forward, etc…and it was a bunch of sh!t from several of them.

58 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

On pitching to Rutschman:

One of the most exciting young catchers in the game. Excited to get into camp to work with him. The challenge every year is to get a good feel with your catcher, so excited to get into camp and get comfortable with him. It's a long process, looking forward to it.

I think he will really like pitching to James McCann too. 

Thank you for the info. You're entire post was very informative and a good read.

• Upvote 1

Something I take away from Corbin Burnes' comments is that his reputation of being a hard worker and a real professional seems to be spot on. He's already planning on doing his homework on the AL East. 

Can't wait to see Corbin Burnes in an Orioles uniform strike out Aaron Judge and Juan Soto at Camden Yards.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, Jerry Coleman will always ask stupid questions.  Harbaugh basically calls him out on that every week.  After answering the question multiple times, Jerry asked, how long have you been talking to the Brewers?

Jerry Coleman basically prefaced his question by saying "Sorry, I wasn't listening to anything else you just said, but ..." and he then went on to ask questions that had already been asked and answered.

That guy is really... nvm. If you can't say anything nice.

• Upvote 1

I think my favorite part of that Elias interview was him talking about being able to draft picks. He really likes having that luxury (I know many here said he would never trade the picks) and he wished that you could trade all your picks because it would make trades easier.

He said most teams value the picks the same, so it’s easier to make trades.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Jerry Coleman basically prefaced his question by saying "Sorry, I wasn't listening to anything else you just said, but ..." and he then went on to ask questions that had already been asked and answered.

That guy is really... nvm. If you can't say anything nice.

He’s not a bad guy. I did his show on 105.7 years back but the questions are always bad.

I did wonder if maybe he was late getting to the conference call.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not a bad guy. I did his show on 105.7 years back but the questions are always bad.

I did wonder if maybe he was late getting to the conference call.

Very sarcastic, snarky, judgmental, know-it-all type of personality. Doesn't seem like he ever played a sport. 

He's kind of in a Jason LaCanfora category for me. Both were in DC. Didn't like them there either. 

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Something I take away from Corbin Burnes' comments is that his reputation of being a hard worker and a real professional seems to be spot on. He's already planning on doing his homework on the AL East. 

Can't wait to see Corbin Burnes in an Orioles uniform strike out Aaron Judge and Juan Soto at Camden Yards.

He's going to have to get familiar with the AL East scouting reports or he's going to get bombed. Luckily, the O's have a top notch advanced scouting team thats probably ahead of what he's used to in Milwaukee. But I could be off on that. I just know the O's have excellent advanced scouting.

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Burnes on Foul Territory... 

First player who texted him about the deal - Rowdy Tellez. 

On pitching to Rutschman:

One of the most exciting young catchers in the game. Excited to get into camp to work with him. The challenge every year is to get a good feel with your catcher, so excited to get into camp and get comfortable with him. It's a long process, looking forward to it.

Was shocked to get the call from his agents especially after the Hoskins signing. 

O's front office (M.E.) was super excited on the call. Told him they'd been working on it for three months. 

Message to O's fans: 

I'm gonna come out there and do what I do. I'm accustomed to winning baseball so excited to join a winning team. Let's go and hopefully win the whole thing.

About playing in the AL East:

Lots of new scouting reports to dig through. Lots of new homework and preparation to go through. Lots of historic stadiums and new places to see.

Gonna grow the mullet back out? 

It's kind of long now. Got a good headstart on it. 

New O's ownership:

(Dude actually compared the O's new ownership to the Mets & Dodgers LOL) 

Burnes: It's gotta be the most exciting time for that organization ever since Angelos took over. I'm not sure it had anything to do with this trade or not, or what their plans are at the deadline. Knowing you've got a group that's willing to add and spend money - that's what you need to sustain.

Have you spoken with anyone in the Orioles court yet?

Everything has just been intros etc... I think there's a lot that's gonna happen in the next couple days. Talked to Hyde late last night, gonna get to know one another a little better this weekend or early next week. Figuring out the schedule right now, etc... 

Lots of new faces & names to learn. Lots of new moving parts etc.

If they came to you with a big number would you be open to an extension? 

I think my word stands true from last time I was on. Gotta test free agency - we put in a lot of time to get the opportunity for free agency. Being a year away is an exciting time. Wants to be able to choose where he wants to be. 

***he's going to be a free agent***

That's all I could type. Two fingers fell 

Edited by IPlayGM
Video link was already provided