Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I'm pretty sure this is SOP for most teams. You make it sound like most deals are done with a phone call in a day. This isn't how it works. They have teams of people involved and get input from everyone, it's not a one man show for the O's and probably 99% of the other teams.

Agreed. For one thing the person you are talking to needs to do their due diligence and wait for text messages from the other half dozen teams they are talking to to see if anyone else will beat your offer.

4 hours ago, Malike said:

I'm pretty sure this is SOP for most teams. You make it sound like most deals are done with a phone call in a day. This isn't how it works. They have teams of people involved and get input from everyone, it's not a one man show for the O's and probably 99% of the other teams.

The point is it’s a much slower process the way it’s described. I’m not say it happens in a single call. This is not a good process and why we settled on Flaherty at the deadline. I’m pretty sure the GM has the ability to make Any deal he wishes.

Edited by Roll Tide

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

First time I've gone through one of Lance B.'s videos.    I liked the editing showing 2 each of the various pitches to LH/RH bats.

It amazes me that there are people in the world with enough patience, attention span, time, and nerdiness to to go through he monotonous process of tracking and coloring dots, and turn baseball into the equivalent of Quantem Mechanics.

How nice is it to even be on a graphic like this? Hardly feels real. 

I think the Mariners have the best rotation listed here. O’s 2nd, Jays and Astros are a wash, and the Skanks are a distant 5th. Kind of a joke they’re even on this list honestly. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, dystopia said:

How nice is it to even be on a graphic like this? Hardly feels real. 

I think the Mariners have the best rotation listed here. O’s 2nd, Jays and Astros are a wash, and the Skanks are a distant 5th. Kind of a joke they’re even on this list honestly. 

The Yankees rotation has a lot of health question marks, but a sky-high ceiling. Without looking at every team's rotation I can't say if they belong here or not, but there is a lot of upside.

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The point is it’s a much slower process the way it’s described. I’m not say it happens in a single call. This is not a good process and why we settled on Flaherty at the deadline. I’m pretty sure the GM has the ability to make Any deal he wishes.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't. I'm pretty sure that if he didn't include his team, there would be issues, they are there for a reason. I'm pretty sure the GM needs ownership approval for any deal, so no, I don't think the GM has the ability to make any deal he wishes. I also don't believe for a minute that this is why we settled on Flaherty at the deadline, that's a really long stretch. I'm sure they settled on him because St. Louis took the prospects we offered.

6 hours ago, Malike said:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't. I'm pretty sure that if he didn't include his team, there would be issues, they are there for a reason. I'm pretty sure the GM needs ownership approval for any deal, so no, I don't think the GM has the ability to make any deal he wishes. I also don't believe for a minute that this is why we settled on Flaherty at the deadline, that's a really long stretch. I'm sure they settled on him because St. Louis took the prospects we offered.

I mean the pyramid starts at the top. Common sense would tell you he only has to answer to the owner. He can certainly speak to his employees, advisors, scouts, but I’m quite certain he doesn’t need their permission. Unless there is some sort of HillBilly Hierarchy. 

further, in a good organization the ownership group doesn’t need to meddle. I understand your position as we’ve pretty much been programmed here that the owner has to have his finger on every decision. But, that’s not functional and hopefully not how things run once John Angelos is no longer the decision maker. That’s not to say the owner isnt kept in the loop in the situation where there is some large financial impact or a move that might put him outside the budget that he was given by ownership etc.

Edited by Roll Tide

6 hours ago, Malike said:

Aww come on. I’m sure these decisions are made in the same way you buy a used car. 

Edited by waroriole

I think some of if a GM needs to tell an Owner during the run of play has to do with strategy or tactics.

Mike Elias told John Angelos the 2022 Orioles were losers in the annual strategic planning meeting, so in July I don't think he needed special permission to offload Trey Mancini and Jorge Lopez.     He probably didn't even have to buy his own plane ticket to fly to where the players were and look them in the eye.    One day in Adley's memoir about how "I made the playoffs in all but one of my 15 MLB seasons", this will be an anecdote.

He told them in 2023 they might win, and I think had tactical latitude to close Flaherty, or other reliever deals he described as not quite getting there.

But if Pat Gillick tells Peter the team is good and then they're bad, and Bonilla and others need to go, it might be, "Wait, what..."

Eve kind of described the 37-step process of this Burnes get, and I don't believe JA got a briefing every 48 hours.

This guy was a rookie with no post season experience whatsoever.  Without him we don’t have a Championship Trophy in 1983.  Burnes helps because he’s a good pitcher.  So tired of the veteran angle.  Someone should remind Jim Palmer that it was a 25-year old rookie that saved the Orioles bacon in 1983.

image.thumb.png.46ce80fc729d76b190044699cc57a3be.png

14 hours ago, Malike said:

I doubt Elias needs to get ownership approval for every little deal.  Like does Angelos need to sign off on the Irvin deal?  If Elias is doing a deal to add major payroll, more than a couple of million, yes.  Not for a deal trading away the O's #17 prospect or whatever the guy was rated.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I doubt Elias needs to get ownership approval for every little deal.  Like does Angelos need to sign off on the Irvin deal?  If Elias is doing a deal to add major payroll, more than a couple of million, yes.  Not for a deal trading away the O's #17 prospect or whatever the guy was rated.

Irvin and Flaherty added to the payroll, I would bet my house that that needed approval from Angelos.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1