Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I believe if we were to sign a QO FA that we would lose our 3rd pick in the draft no matter what the round. So… if now we sign Montgomery or Snell… then we’d only lose a 2nd rd pick and not one of our three firsts we had. 

We will need SP in 25. Possible both Burnes and Means are gone. 

25 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Surprised they didn’t swap out Norby for the 34th pick. There is no place to play him and repeating AAA for 3 years in a row- will really sour him.

Unless, he’s another chess piece for bullpen help.

I imagine the Brewers argued they could make. Qualifying and get a comp pick, so they wanted the 34th to make up for the fact that now the Orioles can. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Irvin is still here and this certainly leaves Wells in the pen.  Right now, I see:

Kimbrell, Cano, Wells, Tate and Webb from the right side and Perez, Coulombe and Irvin from the left.  We could certainly add to that but it looks pretty good as it is.

I wonder what the Cano regression will look like this year. I still think we need a piece for the bullpen. 

• Upvote 2

Only a one year deal, but in the end Ortiz had no spot here and Hall is almost a lottery ticket at this point. Draft pick is a draft pick. That's quite the trade for a guy who can win a CY.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I hope the White Sox are melting down and Getz realizes he was asking for too much. 

I'm sure he already knew that, but this is the undeniable sign that the good deals are moving on so I predict a Cease trade fairly soon.  If we don't see that, then Getz is well and truly a fool.

Wow, what a surprise. Yankee fans are so upset but they don’t have a Joey Ortiz to trade unless they wanted to get rid of Volpe. I know I am being greedy but I would still ask Jordan Montgomery to wait for ownership deal to go through. I prefer to have Wells fill Hall role in bullpen. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

2023 is a different year, but I'm much more comfortable with Burnes over Cease. Cease has had truly one outstanding pitching season in his career. Burnes has been consistently good with the Brewers and led the NL in WHIP last season.

Absolutely.  With the extra year Cease is probably still higher in trade value, but MUCH prefer Burnes to Cease for 2024 only.

And even if you’re worried about the red flags with Burnes, it’s only one year. He’s still an excellent bet for 2024. They gave up value to get him but not the top prospects. Worry about the red flags if you want to sign him to an extension, which they probably won’t be able to anyway even with Rubenstein’s money. For now, full steam ahead on 2024.