Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, Sydnor said:

I suspect you know this, but for those that don’t, Bleier signed with the Nats.

I didn't see that, I can breathe a sigh of relief now, thank you!

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I wonder what the Cano regression will look like this year. I still think we need a piece for the bullpen. 

I'm certainly not against it.  Later in the season, any of the Norfolk Povich/McDermott/Johnson types could help there, too.  Of course, Elias has done a great job building the current pen out of thin air so who knows where he might find someone.

• Upvote 1

This was the guy I wanted the entire time and thought it was a pipe dream.  What a couple of days!!!!  Can't wait to see this team.  Best possible acquisition they could have made.  Now Ruby needs to sign him long term.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just looked..one person said maybe the Os will still get Cease and then people were questioning if he had the balls to do it.  Lol

Elias certainly has the surplus to do it.  Look for Kremer to head to Chicago in the package if it happened.  Burnes is getting $15.6 in 2024, so the payroll is now around $100 million so who knows if there's any headroom.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I believe if we were to sign a QO FA that we would lose our 3rd pick in the draft no matter what the round. So… if now we sign Montgomery or Snell… then we’d only lose a 2nd rd pick and not one of our three firsts we had. 

Edit - no pick loss for Montgomery

Wow, that’s a good point for Snell. I think we’re done outside of a RP but would make sense if they offered the pick because they’re lining something up for Snell. 

And the Orioles certainly don’t NEED another SP now but they could accommodate one. Kremer has options, you don’t really know what you will get from Means, and you need at least 6 SP to get through the season. Kremer could get sent to AAA on Opening Day if everyone is healthy and still end up making 20+ starts.