Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Wow, that’s a good point for Snell. I think we’re done outside of a RP but would make sense if they offered the pick because they’re lining something up for Snell. 

And the Orioles certainly don’t NEED another SP now but they could accommodate one. Kremer has options, you don’t really know what you will get from Means, and you need at least 6 SP to get through the season. Kremer could get sent to AAA on Opening Day if everyone is healthy and still end up making 20+ starts. 

30M dollars a year for Snell would be a terrible idea. I'd much rather they go in on Montgomery.

Edited by Malike

Burnes is not only pitching for a world series here, but the Brewers front office pissed him off during his arbitration hearings, and he's heading into free agency.  Talk about your massive motivations.

7 minutes ago, Justinlstn said:

I wonder if Elias had this deal in hand and was saving it for after the announcement. 

Think it's pretty obvious it was sitting on the table and needed an owner who isn't a cheapskate scumbag to greenlight.

So it took David Rubenstein one day to greenlight landing a legit Ace. Angelos family hadn't done that in decades.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Elias certainly has the surplus to do it.  Look for Kremer to head to Chicago in the package if it happened.  Burnes is getting $15.6 in 2024, so the payroll is now around $100 million so who knows if there's any headroom.

A whole 100m payroll?? All the way up to 24th overall!! Definitely no headroom left. God this is going to be a long process with this fanbase. It's going to drive me nuts. 

Something I haven’t seen mentioned: trading Ortiz drastically increases the chance we see Holliday as the Opening Day 2B.

You don’t trade for 1 year of Corbin Burnes and go into that season with Ramon Urias as a starter. That’s putting a big priority on present value, winning now and every game is going to matter.  Best lineup on the field from day 1.

One of Holliday or Mayo are making the team, or otherwise maybe Norby?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Burnes is not only pitching for a world series here, but the Brewers front office pissed him off during his arbitration hearings, and he's heading into free agency.  Talk about your massive motivations.

True. CONTRACT YEAR.  Might have a massive season. 

• Upvote 2

So, just to post a few red flags:

first of all, go look at his 2021 season and in particular, look at his statcast page..it’s incredible.

However, since 2021, his velo is down 1.5 MPH. His K rate has dropped 2 straight years. His Bb rate has jumped a lot. His xERA has gone up a lot, he is missing fewer bats and had an FIp of 3.8 last year.

The only reason I really mention this is the idea of an extension. I don’t think I would go 6-8 years at 30+M for him. He will be 30 the first year of his new deal and he is already showing signs of decline. Now, don’t get me wrong..his stats now are still really good and this was an absolutely amazing trade but I do think you hold off on extension talk until you see him.

I doubt he signs one anyway unless you put really dumb money on the table.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Something I haven’t seen mentioned: trading Ortiz drastically increases the chance we see Holliday as the Opening Day 2B.

You don’t trade for 1 year of Corbin Burnes and go into that season with Ramon Urias as a starter. That’s putting a big priority on present value, winning now and every game is going to matter.  Best lineup on the field from day 1.

One of Holliday or Mayo are making the team, or otherwise maybe Norby?

I think they both make it

• Upvote 1