Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Also, for folks who are into the OPACY is better for LHP factor - because Burnes’ fastball has a lot of cutting action, he’s equally effective on lefties. He actually had big reverse splits last year. On his career, .270 wOBA v LH and .266 v RH. 

His career lefties have a 610 OpS vs him.  It was even lower the last 2 years.

Thats a fact I didn’t know about him until I was going through some numbers about 20 Min ago.

And Milwaukees stadium plays really similarly to OPaCY.  Big selling point to Burnes are those lefty stats.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's getting 30M a year. Just not for 9 years. The Yankees offered him 30M a year for 5 year I think?

Yankees offered 6/150. I think he’s either going to get that, or higher AAV than that 25 but for fewer years. But not 30/yr for 5+ years. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Burnes didn't waste any time updating his Twitter bio.

image.thumb.png.494645776b3285046e41a34d55af4fa9.png

Rumors circulating he's waiting at the airport in MIL for his Feb 12th flight to Sarasota. Bags packed, staring at his iPad.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You added a legit TOR starter and didn’t give up a top 5 prospect to do it. I know it’s for one year vs 2 for Cease or 3 for Luzardo but that’s just an incredible, must make deal. It really hurts to lose Hall but you don’t allow what DL hall has been to be the reason you don’t make this trade, no matter what his upside is.

You tried to tell all the White Sox fans this. They deserve an I told ya so. 

I saw "Orioles" trending on Twitter, assumed that the sale had fallen apart somehow, and instead it's because we traded for a former Cy Young winner in his 20s. This is like if I ran into Ana de Armas at a 7/11 and she asked me if I wanted to get dinner. 

Edited by Remember The Alomar
  • Haha 1

Looking through the Brewers board to see their reaction, and most of 'em are pissed at the return. Before the full details were released several of them were hoping for either Mayo or Holliday going back to Milwaukee. Ya no.

33 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We will need SP in 25. Possible both Burnes and Means are gone. 

One of McDermott, Povich, or Johnson is good for the 5th spot.   We’ll still have surplus to deal from in trade or more payroll ceiling to work with.   Burnes buys us a year.

• Upvote 1