TT: Taking a look at the bullpen now that Hall is gone

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

https://orioleshangout.com/2024/02/03/taking-a-look-at-the-bullpen-now-that-hall-is-gone/

Personally, I'd like to see them get another high impact reliever.

It's a bit cliche to say "you can never have too much pitching," but you really can never have too much pitching.  I'd like to see another impact reliever too.  

Thoughts on Cade Povich or Chayse McDermott getting a nod in the bullpen as the year progresses? Surely we can fill some potential holes in house? I’m still on the lookout for the Danny Coulombe of this year. Who is the late acquisition going to be? 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

https://orioleshangout.com/2024/02/03/taking-a-look-at-the-bullpen-now-that-hall-is-gone/

Personally, I'd like to see them get another high impact reliever.

This is a good take.  I think the big part of the problem is the lack of quality depth after the top 8.  You know there will be injuries and shuffle and you really need 12+ relievers to make it through the season.  Some of those pieces will be surprises - rule 5, non tenders, etc.  But you still need more.

13 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Thoughts on Cade Povich or Chayse McDermott getting a nod in the bullpen as the year progresses? Surely we can fill some potential holes in house? I’m still on the lookout for the Danny Coulombe of this year. Who is the late acquisition going to be? 

Perhaps as the season moves on and there is a need, yes. Out of spring training they're both heading for Norfolk's rotation. 

As for finding the next Coulombe, that is something Elias has been very good at and he might be comfortable trying to do that again. But, there is something very comfortable about having that guy in our bullpen who you can bring in against the heart of the order in the 7th or 8th inning and know if he's on his game, they are not scoring. 

They also need more strikeout guys for those extra innings with the runners starting at 2B.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

This is a good take.  I think the big part of the problem is the lack of quality depth after the top 8.  You know there will be injuries and shuffle and you really need 12+ relievers to make it through the season.  Some of those pieces will be surprises - rule 5, non tenders, etc.  But you still need more.

Agreed, and I think we may see more moves. From inside the system, I didn't mention him but Keagan Gillies will most likely get a NRI to spring training and if he's pitching well in AAA could get a call. Obviously McDermott and Povich come into play as well if a need arises but I doubt we'll see them before the second half unless significant injuries occur, especially since they are currently starting pitching depth.

Agreed.  However, I don’t see much of interest in the remaining FA pool.  I think any upgrade will be through a trade.  And Elias sounds content to let deals come to him.

I tend to think we will stand pat through ST (maybe a waver claim or something) and make a deal early in the season as needs are apparent.  Focusing on the process, like the Fuji deal last year.

Definitely could use a guy. 

Brasier still out there if we just want someone dependable-ish.

As much as I'd love someone like Devin Williams in a trade, he will command a pitcher somewhere in the return probably and I'm not sure if we have what Milwaukee would want.

Edited by interloper

I'd like another big arm but not sure what that would look like. We just gave up two big prospects to get Burnea. Do we also trade Norby or Kjerstad to get an elite guy? I'm open to it but I'm OK with staying out and then seeing if bullpen is a priority at the deadline. Wells ha shown he can be effective under pressure. Perez was awful early in the season but other than that has put up 1.5+ years of elite level work. Baumann and Webb are still interesting assets.

A few thoughts.

1. I agree that losing Hall leaves a void in the bullpen.

2. I mentioned Tanner Scott, a one year rental, previously.   Not sure the Marlins would move him, but he’s the perfect type of guy to compliment Kimbrel.

3. Are any of our current guys capable of taking it to the next level?  In particular, I’m thinking Baumann who averages 96 and has a plus curveball.  His biggest weakness was command and maybe not enough movement on that fastball.

4.  Chayce McDermott and Seth Johnson both have the upper 90’s fastball and plus breaking stuff to be impact relievers.   Why not audition them this spring?   Just as I said for Hall, this wouldn’t close the door on them being starters and might actually be a good thing in that regard.

• Upvote 1

Nice article.  I was surprised that Elias didn’t seem too concerned about the BP during his presser.  Sounds like he’s still looking but doesn’t feel a lot of urgency to do anything significant.  

Listening to Elias and Hyde in several recent interviews, they seem very confident that Tate can return to his 2022 form.   That certainly would help matters.  

You have to admit, the O’s have pulled a lot of rabbits out of their hats the last two years in the bullpen, so we’ll see what unexpected developments emerge in 2024.

• Upvote 1

I tend to think Elias will be in the mode of gathering more information which will dictate how he adjusts mid-season and explores trade market for RPs. 

• How effective will Kimbrel be as closer?
  • Can Cano repeat as dominant 8th inning guy in high leverage situations?
  • Does Tyler Wells become lights out in the bullpen where his stuff ticks up (looked like that to me in Sept appearances)?
  • Do any viable internal candidates emerge as the season progresses (McDermott, Gillies, etc)?
  • Which teams fall from contention and thus become willing to deal high caliber RPs?

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd like another big arm but not sure what that would look like. We just gave up two big prospects to get Burnea. Do we also trade Norby or Kjerstad to get an elite guy? I'm open to it but I'm OK with staying out and then seeing if bullpen is a priority at the deadline. Wells ha shown he can be effective under pressure. Perez was awful early in the season but other than that has put up 1.5+ years of elite level work. Baumann and Webb are still interesting assets.

I think all of these guys have talent and can part of the pen, but the guy I'm talking about is that elite setup guy. 

The Orioles best bullpen was in 2014 after they acquired Andrew Miller. The Britton, Miller, O'Day trio made the games shorter.

With the Orioles rotation, if they had that kind of bullpen or something similar, I'd feel really confident. But right now, while there are talented guys, who do we absolutely good about when they come into the game now that Bautista is shelved for a year?

Kimbrel should be good, and I know Hyde/Orioles like to match up as much as possible with platoon advantages, but I think everyone would prefer to have that guy you can bring in during the 7th or 8th inning or in a crucial spot and get the big strikeout. 

I don't know who that is right now. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

3. Are any of our current guys capable of taking it to the next level?  In particular, I’m thinking Baumann who averages 96 and has a plus curveball.  His biggest weakness was command and maybe not enough movement on that fastball.

It may not be fair, but Baumann strikes me as a pitcher who’s not very cerebral.  He just seems to have dumb pitch sequences and loses focus at times.   When he’s on his game he’s very impressive but other times he’s scream worthy.  That game in Seattle where Mullins made the amazing HR robbery and then Baumann allowed a long homer to the very next batter still sticks in my craw, even though Mullins won the game in extra innings.   

I do think he’s a guy who could become a dominant reliever if the light bulb in his head would go on.  Let’s hope.  

• Upvote 2