TT: Taking a look at the bullpen now that Hall is gone

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Webb blows Baumann away when you look at the metrics on Baseball Savant. Baumann just throws hard and accumulated those 10 wins. Gotta look at Webb post O’s too, like we look at Brasier post Dodgers. 

IMG_4931.jpeg

IMG_4932.jpeg

I think Webb is a bit underrated around here. Yeah we got a little lucky with him and he did fade pretty hard. But we abused the crap out of his arm and for a minute he had one of the craziest change ups I've seen from a right hander, especially when you consider how anonymous he is. It didn't last but it was a legit pitch for a stretch. Maybe we can harness it if he's not pitching literally twice every 3 games.

• Upvote 1

We'd all prefer acquiring an establish guy, but if that guy is difficult to nail down in trade, perhaps Elias will look to swap for a young bullpen arm with serious promise and one who's ML ready or near-ML ready?  Norby and Stowers are obvious candidates for trades, though others may make sense as well.  Just a thought.

Not to nitpick, but it's really a shame we couldn't pry a RP away form the Brewers as part of the Burnes trade. And I'm not talking about Dev. Williams. They have other lights out RPs like Payamps who are almost as good. Definitely agree that we should be focusing on finding another bullpen arm though. 

Its The clear and obvious need right now.

They may have to get creative and get a failed starter, like Kopech, to do that.  Or maybe a prospect for prospect trade where you land a ML ready reliever.

But they have guys like Stowers,  Norby, Mounty, Santander, Hays, Urias and several other solid MiL prospects that should be able to  get you pitching help. There is too much talent and available service time for that not to happen.

We have discussed Edward Cabrera. Max Meyer may be a guy you can get and coming off the TJ surgery, you may want to limit his innings and build him up through the pen and move him to the pen next year.  Maybe the Marlins would discuss Andrew Nardi?:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/andrew-nardi-677053?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Lots to like there.  May be tough to move to him with Puk going to the rotation but  they need offensive help and we can probably work something out here

Dauri Moreta from Pitt is a guy that could potentially work. Pitt is getting better and has a good farm system, so we may be able to match up with them as they look to contend soon.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/dauri-moreta-664294?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Lucas Erceg from the As?  A lot of walks but maybe the Os can fix that?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/lucas-erceg-668674?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Again, a lot to work with here. Would Oakland rather have him or a guy like Norby?

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Not to nitpick, but it's really a shame we couldn't pry a RP away form the Brewers as part of the Burnes trade. And I'm not talking about Dev. Williams. They have other lights out RPs like Payamps who are almost as good. Definitely agree that we should be focusing on finding another bullpen arm though. 

Yea going through teams, this was my conclusion as well.  Milwaukee sure knows how to develop arms out there.  

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

https://orioleshangout.com/2024/02/03/taking-a-look-at-the-bullpen-now-that-hall-is-gone/

Personally, I'd like to see them get another high impact reliever.

Agreed. And I know Elias always keeps on the lookout, but I think they need to address this sooner than hoping to find a clutch arm for the 6-7-8 innings by the end of their spring in Sarasota. Hate to lose a few early games ‘experimenting’ with relievers.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think all of these guys have talent and can part of the pen, but the guy I'm talking about is that elite setup guy. 

The Orioles best bullpen was in 2014 after they acquired Andrew Miller. The Britton, Miller, O'Day trio made the games shorter.

With the Orioles rotation, if they had that kind of bullpen or something similar, I'd feel really confident. But right now, while there are talented guys, who do we absolutely good about when they come into the game now that Bautista is shelved for a year?

Kimbrel should be good, and I know Hyde/Orioles like to match up as much as possible with platoon advantages, but I think everyone would prefer to have that guy you can bring in during the 7th or 8th inning or in a crucial spot and get the big strikeout. 

I don't know who that is right now. 

I agree, we could use another guy but could be more of a "wait and see what we need and who's out there at the deadline" situation. I'd be a little surprised to see another guy right now after spending the money on Kimbrel. Then again, I was surprised to see a new owner and Burnes trade, so anything is possible.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Its The clear and obvious need right now.

They may have to get creative and get a failed starter, like Kopech, to do that.  Or maybe a prospect for prospect trade where you land a ML ready reliever.

But they have guys like Stowers,  Norby, Mounty, Santander, Hays, Urias and several other solid MiL prospects that should be able to  get you pitching help. There is too much talent and available service time for that not to happen.

We have discussed Edward Cabrera. Max Meyer may be a guy you can get and coming off the TJ surgery, you may want to limit his innings and build him up through the pen and move him to the pen next year.  Maybe the Marlins would discuss Andrew Nardi?:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/andrew-nardi-677053?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Lots to like there.  May be tough to move to him with Puk going to the rotation but  they need offensive help and we can probably work something out here

Dauri Moreta from Pitt is a guy that could potentially work. Pitt is getting better and has a good farm system, so we may be able to match up with them as they look to contend soon.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/dauri-moreta-664294?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Lucas Erceg from the As?  A lot of walks but maybe the Os can fix that?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/lucas-erceg-668674?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Again, a lot to work with here. Would Oakland rather have him or a guy like Norby?

Mason Miller is the dream guy if we’re trading with the A’s. He’s had all kinds of health issues that mean the A’s probably will make him a RP and certainly will be looking to deal him eventually. His stuff is unreal nasty and he’ll definitely be a dominant RP.

Problem is they’ll probably wait to get him healthy and performing in the closer role and trade him at the deadline when his value will be much higher.

Old friend Hunter Harvey with 2 years of control remaining may be the best target if we’re looking to find a non-competitive team that wants to cash in on a RP. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CaptainRedbeard said:

Mason Miller is the dream guy if we’re trading with the A’s. He’s had all kinds of health issues that mean the A’s probably will make him a RP and certainly will be looking to deal him eventually. His stuff is unreal nasty and he’ll definitely be a dominant RP.

Problem is they’ll probably wait to get him healthy and performing in the closer role and trade him at the deadline when his value will be much higher.

Old friend Hunter Harvey with 2 years of control remaining may be the best target if we’re looking to find a non-competitive team that wants to cash in on a RP. 

Yea I tend to doubt Miller is available. No doubt he would be a great target if so.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I tend to doubt Miller is available. No doubt he would be a great target if so.

Yeah it would be a huge sell low for them, but they are the A’s.

It would be pretty nice to turn 1-2 of Santander, Hays, O’Hearn, Urias, Stowers, Norby into a RP of equivalent value. I’m less keen on trading Mountcastle right now but would also deal him.

I think we’re more likely to see that at the deadline, when teams are more looking to move their RP as well, and more likely to pick up a FA. But Elias is probably exploring all options.