Rubenstein 1st communication to Orioles fans

OriolesMagic83

David M. Rubenstein

@DM_Rubenstein

Thanks

@afkostka

. Here's my full statement: “I am grateful to the Angelos family for the opportunity to join the team I have been a fan of my entire life. I look forward to working with all the Orioles owners, players and staff to build upon the incredible success the team has achieved in recent seasons. Our collective goal will be to bring a World Series Trophy back to the City of Baltimore. To the fans I say: we do it for you and can’t do it without you. Thank you for your support. “Importantly, the impact of the Orioles extends far beyond the baseball diamond. The opportunity for the team to catalyze development around Camden Yards and in downtown Baltimore will provide generations of fans with lifelong memories and create additional economic opportunities for our community.”

https://twitter.com/DM_Rubenstein/status/1752797980015415602

This sounds like the polar opposite of John Angelos whining about the price of paying better Orioles players and signing players to extensions.  His only promises were to raise ticket and concesions prices.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At no point did he say anything about spending money. 

I am as excited about the new ownership as anyone else. But all you guys that are expecting the new ownership to spend money and for the Orioles to become a hot free agent destination just because the Angelos family is gone might be setting yourselves up for disappointment. 

It is not a given. But that isn’t stopping a lot of you from thinking that it is. 

I think most of us who are excited about new ownership don't expect "Ilitch I am dying soon so want to see a World Series before I die" level of spending.  Myself and others would just like an owner that spends a good chunk of the profits on improving this team.  I don't think the revenue for the Baltimore area will ever support a top 10 payroll and I'm fine with that.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think most of us who are excited about new ownership don't expect "Ilitch I am dying soon so want to see a World Series before I die" level of spending.  Myself and others would just like an owner that spends a good chunk of the profits on improving this team.  I don't think the revenue for the Baltimore area will ever support a top 10 payroll and I'm fine with that.

I don’t know what to expect. 

But it’s odd to see expectations and assumptions because it’s not Angelos. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

You misspelled Seidler.

There’s a very real “meet the new boss, same as the old boss” skepticism within me, but I wanted the Angelos family to sell for so many years that I’m cautiously optimistic.

At least he specifically mentions winning the WS as a goal. When did the Angelos family last even mention winning as a priority? It was always this vague nonsense about being “competitive”.  If they extend any of the young talent, it will already be a huge sign that our fates might finally have changed. 

From an old article in Defector.com:

Angelos, unlike most folks after they acquire a profoundly beloved sports franchise, didn't promise a championship. In an interview on auction day, he conceded that winning a World Series "should be the goal for every team."

"But that is not the sole consideration," he told the Baltimore Sun. "If one can keep a team in contention through the season, one has given the fans what they deserve."

All these years later, we know Angelos didn't deliver even on those low expectations.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

At no point did he say anything about spending money. 

I am as excited about the new ownership as anyone else. But all you guys that are expecting the new ownership to spend money and for the Orioles to become a hot free agent destination just because the Angelos family is gone might be setting yourselves up for disappointment. 

It is not a given. But that isn’t stopping a lot of you from thinking that it is. 

Good, I don't like people that crass.  I also don't expect him to show up cheapskate John Angelos this early in the game. 

But I do expect the new ownership to raise the payroll to at least $150 million by the start of the 2026 season - hopefully more - because it's abundantly clear that the Orioles aren't looked at as a necessary revenue source by anybody with a stake in the ownership group.  Which is different than saying they're going to spend like Steve Cohen.  I would probably lose a little of my lifelong attachment to the team if it started to behave like the Yankees, Red Sox and a few others.

53 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Good, I don't like people that crass.  I also don't expect him to show up cheapskate John Angelos this early in the game. 

But I do expect the new ownership to raise the payroll to at least $150 million by the start of the 2026 season - hopefully more - because it's abundantly clear that the Orioles aren't looked at as a necessary revenue source by anybody with a stake in the ownership group.  Which is different than saying they're going to spend like Steve Cohen.  I would probably lose a little of my lifelong attachment to the team if it started to behave like the Yankees, Red Sox and a few others.

What’s your expectation based on besides hope?

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

What’s your expectation based on besides hope?

They can probably do that and still break even.  Bur am I the only one who judges teams by how well they do and how well they’re constructed, not how much they cost?