Once Holliday graduates, the SS depth in the system looks pretty thin

interloper

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If we have 2/3/4 players who can play SS at high to decent level on the Big League club, what is the depth needed for? 

It appears that some fans are going through this struggle to accept that the results of the Major League team are much more of a priority now and going forward for the foreseeable future than prospect rankings, system depth, etc.

Personally, I would rather have the most talent in the org be on the Orioles than in the Minor Leagues. But I respect the fact that for so long, prospects and following the Minor Leagues is all we had to be excited for and it is going to take some fans time to make the switch.

No need to make the switch.  It's possible to want a top product at the ML and to maintain a top farm system at the same time.  The pipeline is important too.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Given we should be good at SS for awhile I’m okay with it. 

This is like the 49ers in the 80s having Joe Montana and Steve Young at quarterback and wondering if they need to draft another QB anytime soon. I'd say the Orioles are good just keep drafting/signing the best prospects available.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m sure they will be drafting some SS early this coming draft. 

Was just about to type that.  I look for them to draft a SS with one of their first picks.  And as @RZNJ said, we have quite a few international shortstops with high-end upside.  

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is like the 49ers in the 80s having Joe Montana and Steve Young at quarterback and wondering if they need to draft another QB anytime soon. I'd say the Orioles are good just keep drafting/signing the best prospects available.

If our guys turn into the baseball equivalents of Joe Montana and Steve Young, that'll be awesome.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No need to make the switch.  It's possible to want a top product at the ML and to maintain a top farm system at the same time.  The pipeline is important too.

Right. This board has always been interested in the farm even when the farm was terrible, so that's not going to change. 

Just thought the time was right to take stock after the trade. The farm is still plenty deep, it's just that if Elias is going to make more trades, it's not going to come from the SS position at this point. 

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Was just about to type that.  I look for them to draft a SS with one of their first picks.  And as @RZNJ said, we have quite a few international shortstops with high-end upside.  

Organization Wise there is absolutely no void at SS

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I have heard different definition of what "the pipeline" means. I agree that it is important to supplement the talent of the Big League roster with Minor League talent. I just believe that what is more important is the Major League team and the results achieved even if that means sacrificing some Minor League talent. 

HOU has ZERO top 100 prospects right now. But I am sure that they are quite content with the World Series banners and appearances that they have had in the last fe years. If in 5 years, we have 2 rings and only 1 to 2 top 100 prospects, I will be more than okay with that.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If our guys turn into the baseball equivalents of Joe Montana and Steve Young, that'll be awesome.

It’s hard to do better than having consecutive back-to-back number one ranked prospects capable of playing one of the most important defensive positions in baseball.

Now it’s only a matter of where their careers go from this point forward. 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I have heard different definition of what "the pipeline" means. I agree that it is important to supplement the talent of the Big League roster with Minor League talent. I just believe that what is more important is the Major League team and the results achieved even if that means sacrificing some Minor League talent. 

HOU has ZERO top 100 prospects right now. But I am sure that they are quite content with the World Series banners and appearances that they have had in the last fe years. If in 5 years, we have 2 rings and only 1 to 2 top 100 prospects, I will be more than okay with that.

Houston has had a great run.  Bergman and Altuve are FA after this year. Tucker after next year.   They wouldn't do things differently but I'm sure they are co concerned about  ot having more help on the way.   Is it possible they haven't drafted well or signed well down in Latin America over the last 5 years?   Are you saying it was impossible for them to maintain a top 10 system while in go for it mode?

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Two words.  Latin America. 

1. Leandro Arias

2. Luis Almeyda

3. Emilio Sanchez

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if pick #22 or pick #32 was a SS.

Good thread.  There definitely is a gap on MI prospects from  ML level down to Aberdeen. 

Exactly. We have 5-7 Dominicans that have a chance to be contributors. We have 3 shortstops in major leagues. Westburg is not a long term option but he could play a Trevor Story type role in a pinch.

Edited by Rbiggs2525

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Don't think anyone would disagree with what you're saying. Again, don't read the thread as me being worried about anything. Just thought it was interesting. It's wild that we graduated three SS-capable players to the big leagues, and two others were good enough to trade for SPs. That means we hit on 5 shortstops in the draft. Ridiculously good!

And I expect Norby to get a cup of coffee - or more - this year. Mayo, too. Insane. 

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Exactly. We have 5-7 Dominicans that have a chance to be contributors. We have 3 shortstops in major leagues. Is Westburg long term option no but he could play a Trevor Story type role in a pinch.

Without a doubt, the low minors and DSL are the place to watch for the next wave of shortstops in the organization. 

• interloper changed the title to Once Holliday graduates, the SS depth in the system looks pretty thin
1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Houston has had a great run.  Bergman and Altuve are FA after this year. Tucker after next year.   They wouldn't do things differently but I'm sure they are co concerned about  ot having more help on the way.   Is it possible they haven't drafted well or signed well down in Latin America over the last 5 years?   Are you saying it was impossible for them to maintain a top 10 system while in go for it mode?

No. I'm not saying that at all. I am saying that they decided to use a lot of their prospects to get great players who helped them win World Series championships.

No we could still have a good systems and get great results at the Big League level. And I expect that as long as Elias and Sig are here that we will have our share of Minor League talent. However, I am saying that when you have a guy who won ROY at SS and a guy who is the top prospect in the sport at the same position, it is ridiculous to expect more at that position behind them.

Even if we had a top SS prospect where would they play on the Orioles? We had another SS prospect and wisely used that player in a trade to get the starting pitching help that we needed.

Now back to HOU, I don't expect them to allow all 3 players to walk nor do I expect them to retain all 3. They will probably sign 1 or 2 and go and replace the other(s) with some other signing or trade. But even if they don't and let's say they fall way back in a year or 2. I would still say that the multi-year success that they had which has led to multiple World Series is worth it. 

I would rather get a ring(s) than be a team who is perennially good but never good enough. 

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

However, I am saying that when you have a guy who won ROY at SS and a guy who is the top prospect in the sport at the same position, it is ridiculous to expect more at that position behind them.

Don't think anyone is necessarily expecting more from the SS position at this point. We're set for 6 years with 3 young guys who can handle the position at the big league level.

What I do expect is for them to target SS near the top of their draft if it makes sense to and of course internationally. But they will go best player available if there's nothing interesting there from the SS position. Elias will want to continue having a balanced farm, even if it's not as insanely good as it was in the rebuild.