All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well Stowers was injured last year and also played poorly, so he's got 2 out of those 3 as well. If you're in danger of being released, you're not a prospect. 

I'm sure Stowers knows the big picture is largely positive for him, but to be this close and constantly get edged out by guys deemed to have higher upside, I'm sure is frustrating. He's much better than a "I'm just happy to be here" minor leaguer. He's deserving of an extended shot and it's unlikely to come this year, for like the 3rd straight year. 

While frustrating, I'm sure, these guys know they are playing for all 30 teams.  If he puts up numbers and produces, he'll get his chance.  

23 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

While frustrating, I'm sure, these guys know they are playing for all 30 teams.  If he puts up numbers and produces, he'll get his chance.  

Stowers is 26 now; he's not young for a prospect anymore. I'm sure he's feeling that time is getting burned that he can't get back. 

6 minutes ago, deward said:

Stowers is 26 now; he's not young for a prospect anymore. I'm sure he's feeling that time is getting burned that he can't get back. 

I'm sure he does.  But he hasn't been buried by non-talent roster fits either.  Iron sharpens iron.

1.  Continue to prove it and play on the O's.

2.  Prove it and get traded.

3.  Prove it, get stashed, and end up a Rule 5 claim.

4.  Prove it, get stashes, end up a Rule 5 claim, and make a case to the MLBPA.

Stacking talent...

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I'm sure he does.  But he hasn't been buried by non-talent roster fits either.  Iron sharpens iron.

1.  Continue to prove it and play on the O's.

2.  Prove it and get traded.

3.  Prove it, get stashed, and end up a Rule 5 claim.

4.  Prove it, get stashes, end up a Rule 5 claim, and make a case to the MLBPA.

Stacking talent...

He's already performed well in AAA, he really has no other way to prove it other than getting another opportunity in the bigs, and he's just in the wrong org for that (barring injury). If his ST performance isn't going to get him consideration over guys like Cowser or Kjerstad to break camp on the big league roster, then what else exactly is he supposed to do? I'd prefer that Elias get the best of both worlds by maximizing the value of the asset by trading him for another asset that better fits the needs of the org, while also be doing right by the player by giving him the opportunity he deserves. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, deward said:

He's already performed well in AAA, he really has no other way to prove it other than getting another opportunity in the bigs, and he's just in the wrong org for that (barring injury). If his ST performance isn't going to get him consideration over guys like Cowser or Kjerstad to break camp on the big league roster, then what else exactly is he supposed to do? I'd prefer that Elias get the best of both worlds by maximizing the value of the asset by trading him for another asset that better fits the needs of the org, while also be doing right by the player by giving him the opportunity he deserves. 

Nothing but continue to prove it.  

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Nothing but continue to prove it.  

Also, Stowers is already on the 40-man roster, so he isn't Rule 5 eligible. If he isn't traded, then he can't become a minor league free agent until after the 2025 season, by which point he'd be 28 years old and have lost a significant chunk of his prime. I don't know exactly how much value he'd have in a trade, but I do know that his value will continue to depreciate from this point, if he stays buried at Norfolk. 

47 minutes ago, deward said:

Also, Stowers is already on the 40-man roster, so he isn't Rule 5 eligible. If he isn't traded, then he can't become a minor league free agent until after the 2025 season, by which point he'd be 28 years old and have lost a significant chunk of his prime. I don't know exactly how much value he'd have in a trade, but I do know that his value will continue to depreciate from this point, if he stays buried at Norfolk. 

Your concerns are valid.  He still has to prove.  It's the nature of the beast/business.

7 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

So, you think Stowers, Cowser and Kjerstad will never drop a fly ball?  The guy makes one error and that's the reason you're done with him?  Spoiler alert, they ALL make errors, it's part of the game.

I think CVS sells chill pills.

Kudos to @spleen1015 for posting the game winning homer by McKenna.  So, he cost us a game, and he won us a game.  We're even.

That's not the reason I am done with him.  I am done with him because he is a poor hitter and does not contribute much to the team.  Stowers and Cowser are clearly better, and Kjerstad's ceiling is higher.

I think CVS sells shut your mouth pills.

7 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

So, you think Stowers, Cowser and Kjerstad will never drop a fly ball?  The guy makes one error and that's the reason you're done with him?  Spoiler alert, they ALL make errors, it's part of the game.

I think CVS sells chill pills.

Kudos to @spleen1015 for posting the game winning homer by McKenna.  So, he cost us a game, and he won us a game.  We're even.

That's not the reason I am done with him.  I am done with him because he is a poor hitter and does not contribute much to the team.  Stowers and Cowser are clearly better, and Kjerstad's ceiling is higher.

I think CVS sells shut your mouth pills.

I remember when Stowers won us a game too. It was wild. Facing the White Sox and Lian Hendricks on the mound, he hit a foul ball that should have been caught by the 3rd basemen to end the game and it was dropped. Stowers got another chance, and he hit a home run. Walk Off Homerun. Orioles win.