Kranitz has a "sleeper" for the rotation?

Frobby

Turning Baez, whose contract would otherwise probably have to be eaten, into a serviceable starter is like alchemy. That would be a wonderful turn of events. (I think of it as the Braden Looper whom we already had on hand, and therefore don't have to pay for a 2nd time.) If Kranny thinks this is feasible at least for exploratory purposes, who am I to argue with the concept? I hope it works out.

I guess I don't necessarily mind Baez in the rotation, because I was expecting him to be in the bullpen.

As long as we can keep another out of option guy in the bullpen, where Baez' spot would be.

I just don't want to lose Penn/Pauley/Bass if they are actually pitching well.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turning Baez, whose contract would otherwise probably have to be eaten, into a serviceable starter is like alchemy. That would be a wonderful turn of events. (I think of it as the Braden Looper whom we already had on hand, and therefore don't have to pay for a 2nd time.) If Kranny thinks this is feasible at least for exploratory purposes, who am I to argue with the concept? I hope it works out.

Somehow, I don't see a guy who hasn't thrown more than 75 innings in a season since 2002 and who missed all of last season - getting in as many innings as Looper will. If I was a betting man, I'd bet the house and the kids against him staying in the rotation if he somehow makes it.

Somehow, I don't see a guy who hasn't thrown more than 75 innings in a season since 2002 and who missed all of last season - getting in as many innings as Looper will. If I was a betting man, I'd bet the house and the kids against him staying in the rotation if he somehow makes it.
That would be a win win proposition ... if you don't much care for either the house or the kids.

You may well be right, Ruz. In a case like this, though, I'm certainly willing to yield to the judgment of a guy like Kranny than to that of any of our illustrious posters. When we talk about insiders, he's about as insider-ish as we get.

It's pretty unlikely he'll pan out as a starter, agreed. But I'm not betting my house and family on it. I could spend five minutes on bb-ref and find you a dozen pitchers who had stranger-than-fiction career paths. Dazzy Vance is probably king of the bunch. At age 30 he had zero major league wins. By age 40 he had seven consecutive strikeout titles, three ERA titles, an MVP, and eventually ended up with a plaque in Cooperstown. All because he knocked something loose in his elbow during a card game, had to have emergency surgery, and it ended up completely fixing something like bone spurs that had kept him from pitching well.

Never say never.

That would be a win win proposition ... if you don't much care for either the house or the kids.

You may well be right, Ruz. In a case like this, though, I'm certainly willing to yield to the judgment of a guy like Kranny than to that of any of our illustrious posters. When we talk about insiders, he's about as insider-ish as we get.

I was sortof hedging my bet - figuring the savings on losing the kid upkeep costs would offset the value of the house. :scratchchinhmm: I hear there are some good prices out there... on homes that is.

I don't know about this Kranny upstart. Has he been properly vetted?

It's pretty unlikely he'll pan out as a starter, agreed. But I'm not betting my house and family on it. I could spend five minutes on bb-ref and find you a dozen pitchers who had stranger-than-fiction career paths. Dazzy Vance is probably king of the bunch. At age 30 he had zero major league wins. By age 40 he had seven consecutive strikeout titles, three ERA titles, an MVP, and eventually ended up with a plaque in Cooperstown. All because he knocked something loose in his elbow during a card game, had to have emergency surgery, and it ended up completely fixing something like bone spurs that had kept him from pitching well.

Never say never.

Never? Oops. I think Norton did that on The Honeymooners, as well.

I was sortof hedging my bet - figuring the savings on losing the kid upkeep costs would offset the value of the house. :scratchchinhmm: I hear there are some good prices out there... on homes that is.

I don't know about this Kranny upstart. Has he been properly vetted?

From what I hear, there are some tax payment issues that might need a look-see. He's cool, though, with respect to nanny-gate, skimming of DR signing bonuses, and HGH. On that basis, I've got Baez slotted in right after Hill. (And yes, this thread has officially jumped the shark.)

Archived