Best defensive play you've ever seen?

Moose Milligan

For me the best is Brooks. Too many to point out anyone play.

Yeah' date=' guess I just assumed he was in his own category. He and Roberto Clemente are the guys I loved to watch with the leather on tape, but unfortunately I was born too late to see them live.

Dave Parker & Bo Jackson each made jaw dropping throws that I remember on TV, and this fellow deserves a mention in a thread like this (highlights begin at the 2:00 mark)

[url']

[/url]

I loved that show when I was a kid

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game where Devo made that amazing catch - definitely the best play I've seen in person.

I'm kind of partial to the Jim Edmonds play where he is running with his back to the infield and lays out going towards the fence for an over-the-shoulder diving catch. He also made an amazing over-the-shoulder catch while climbing that little hill they have in CF in Houston.

I was at the game where Matos made the catch mentioned earlier. Incredible play to rob Ortiz.

That's probably the best one I've seen in person, although my memory isn't great.

I'm sure Robby Alomar made a play or three that I was in awe of, since I played 2B growing up.

In retrospect, this is a fantastic play, but not quite as great as I thought when I originally saw it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200804252587970

Play of the year, but I've probably seen a few better than that.

One play I can think of but can't find a video of it...

When Ramon Martinez was playing with the Cubs in 2004, there was a pop fly to shallow left field. Martinez ran out from shortstop to get it but over ran it a bit. Before he could back track, the ball was on top of him and he had to reach his glove straight behind him to make the grab. I can't say it's the greatest because it was really a misplayed ball, but the adjustment he made was unreal. Sadly, the play when unnoticed for the most part. I think it made the lower end of the top 10 plays of the day on Sportcenter.

I hate to say it, but the G-Mat play in Texas a few years ago was just bananas. He wasn't even looking at the ball, and he easily got 4 feet off the ground after he used the wally to get his second ups. He just stabbed at air and snagged a sure HR. Just an impossible catch.

And Moose, not only do I remember that program, but there's a small chance I still OWN a copy of it somewhere. I'll never forget that picture as long as I live. Another truly ridiculous play.

Remember Kevin Mitchel overrunning a ball out in LF and catching a fly ball behind his head with his BARE HAND?? That was bonkers!

Thinking about all these plays reminds me why I value great defense over great offense. Great offense is nice and all but there's just something awe inspiring about an amazing defensive play. Seen clips of what Brooks did in 1970 against the Reds. What an amazing third baseman and a class act from all I've heard too.

By the way, where's beaner to tell us all that Jeter's play where he "dove" into the stands is the greatest play ever and we should all bow down before Saint Jeets?

:D

That was a truly AMAZING play!!! Did you see the way Jeets crashed into the stands with wreckless abandon afterwards?!? I think he was even bleeding a little bit. Best. Play. Ever.

;)

I'm kind of partial to the Jim Edmonds play where he is running with his back to the infield and lays out going towards the fence for an over-the-shoulder diving catch.

That was the one I thought of too, actually. Though I have the feeling there are others I might choose over it, but the Edmonds catch and the Devo catch are the two that I really remember.

By the way, where's beaner to tell us all that Jeter's play where he "dove" into the stands is the greatest play ever and we should all bow down before Saint Jeets?

:D

I was just thinking about this when watching that Reed Johnson play and thinking to myself, now that (Reed's) is a gutsy play. He just dove into the wall a full speed and caught the ball. Yankees Suck!!

I was just thinking about this when watching that Reed Johnson play and thinking to myself, now that (Reed's) is a gutsy play. He just dove into the wall a full speed and caught the ball. Yankees Suck!!

I mean, don't get me wrong, the Jeter catch was a very nice play. He had to cover a ton of groudn to get there, and had all his momentum heading towards the stands, and had to reach back to catch it. It was a great play.

That said, I will say to the day I die he DID NOT need to dive into the stands, and the fact that he was basically knighted for that play makes me sick.

Again, it's what I've always said. I really have nothing against Jeter, just the media and fans who consider him the God of baseball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/ps/y2005/video.jsp?view=ws

Click "Uribe's crowd catch"

Basically the same play as the Jeter play and was in the final inning of the World Series, but nobody ever hears about it cause it's Juan Uribe. My Sox fan friends are always very proud of this play. I think it's an awesome play, but not "best play ever" material. It's a little over dramatized because of the situation and the fact that he went head over heals into the stands.

Archived