Jackson Holliday spring training watch

Frobby

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree.

Of course opening day is in three weeks.

Can’t get that kind of experience in Baltimore. Unfortunately has to be done in Norfolk. One of those weird things about development. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Can’t get that kind of experience in Baltimore. Unfortunately has to be done in Norfolk. One of those weird things about development. 

That's cool, since he'll be getting that kind of experience in Sarasota.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's cool, since he'll be getting that kind of experience in Sarasota.

You would think. But something about the cold Atlantic shore is invaluable in the learning process. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

You would think. But something about the cold Atlantic shore is invaluable in the learning process. 

I've lived in Norfolk and I've lived fewer than 90 miles away from Ed Smith and I haven't noticed a difference.

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m not surprised. It’s very subtle. 

I was part of the group coordinating intel training for the Atlantic fleet.

I think I'd have noticed.

Trust me, they weren't learning at an accelerated rate.  😉

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

I’m not going to bother going back, but did you also want to send Gunnar back down at the beginning of the year, last year?  Maybe you could send Holliday over to the Bay Area where it is cold and damp year round and the ball doesn’t have the compression that it does in Baltimore in late July? Give me a break. The kid can hit, quit f’ing over analyzing it and let him play. Who cares about the barometric pressure and humidity minus the ballpark dimensions, times the era+ of the relative pitcher faced, squared by the attendance, with a derivative of pi(not pie, who was amusing to watch and quite the athlete but not an exceptional ball player).

5 hours ago, sevastras said:

I’m not going to bother going back, but did you also want to send Gunnar back down at the beginning of the year, last year?  Maybe you could send Holliday over to the Bay Area where it is cold and damp year round and the ball doesn’t have the compression that it does in Baltimore in late July? Give me a break. The kid can hit, quit f’ing over analyzing it and let him play. Who cares about the barometric pressure and humidity minus the ballpark dimensions, times the era+ of the relative pitcher faced, squared by the attendance, with a derivative of pi(not pie, who was amusing to watch and quite the athlete but not an exceptional ball player).

Good grief man. Get over yourself. If you can’t spot an obvious tongue in cheek post, go do something else. 

• Upvote 1

When are you supposed to take spring training stats seriously and when are you supposed to brush them aside!?!?!?

It looks like when a super hyped #1 overall prospect is raking, that’s when they’re to be taken seriously.  Or maybe when you’re JR House and people think you’ve got some untapped potential and just need a place to shine.

But they should be discounted when you’re a veteran that no one’s excited about.

I think that’s what I’ve learned this spring so far.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

At some point this season we’re going to get a 1-2-3 of Holliday, Adley, and Gunnar. That’s a must attend game for me if at home. If it’s not OD it could be Friday April 12th vs the Brewers at home. 1st home game after the 10 day delay service clock maneuver. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

When are you supposed to take spring training stats seriously and when are you supposed to brush them aside!?!?!?

It looks like when a super hyped #1 overall prospect is raking, that’s when they’re to be taken seriously.  Or maybe when you’re JR House and people think you’ve got some untapped potential and just need a place to shine.

But they should be discounted when you’re a veteran that no one’s excited about.

😜

I think you seriously have it wrong man. This stuff ain’t a joke. Holiday can only hit RH pitching and he can’t make the throws from the right side. 

Our Ace is useless, our closer is worse and our ROY has barely started playing. If not for the fact that our two best players, Cowser and Stowers were carrying this team we’d probably be winless. 

And don’t get me started on Adley. You know he’s on the decline already because he is in the vicinity of getting close to nearly being old. Our CF seems to not know how to stretch but on the other hand, Coby Mayo and Sam Basallo should be on this team NOW!

The saving grace is that hopefully we can trade Urias for a good #2 SP and a closer. And if not we may have to trade Holiday and Basallo for Cease. 

Desperate times my friend.  Desperate times. 
😎

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was part of the group coordinating intel training for the Atlantic fleet.

I think I'd have noticed.

Trust me, they weren't learning at an accelerated rate.  😉

It's not very well known, but the whole reason Mickey Mantle was good was the 11 years he spent secretly playing for a barnstorming team based out of Cape Charles, Virginia from ages 8-19.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's like the old saying goes, you should use stats like a drunk uses a lamppost. For support, not illumination. It's whatever you need to make your point.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At some point this season we’re going to get a 1-2-3 of Holliday, Adley, and Gunnar. That’s a must attend game for me if at home. If it’s not OD it could be Friday April 12th vs the Brewers at home. 1st home game after the 10 day delay service clock maneuver. 

10-day delay service clock carries too much risk with the top 2 ROY finalists earning the full year of service time anyway, Adley being the prime example of this. You have to keep him down long enough to feel confident he won't cost you the draft pick and the year of service time. Better to not play that game anymore if he's performing at a ROY level at the end of ST and just have him break with the team.