ACC POY, First-Team, COY and ROY

YardBirds13

With two weeks left, who ya got?

Good luck picking the first-team backcourt. Looking at it today, it is absurd how many guards have a legitmate argument to be 1st-Team All-ACC.

Here, IMO, is the list of players who can at least make an ARGUMENT to be First Teamers: Ty Lawson, Tyler Hansbrough, Gerald Henderson, Kyle Singler, Jeff Teague, James Johnson, Trevor Booker, Toney Douglas, Jack McClinton, Tyrese Rice.

IMO, you'd be hard-pressed to make a case for anyone outside of those guys being on the first team.

I would go with Douglas, McClinton, Teague, Booker, and Hansbrough. I hate leaving off Rice and Lawson, but I think you can only take 3 guards, otherwise I would have taken out Booker and put Lawson in there.

Therefore my second team would be Lawson, Rice, Henderson, Singler, Johnson.

Player of the Year: I'm going with Toney Douglas. I know he won't win, but watch this guy play. He has been tremendous all year for FSU, and is a leader on that team. Without him, that team is at the bottom of the league IMO.

2nd: Tyler Hansbrough, UNC; 3rd: Jeff Teague, Wake; 4th: Jack McClinton, Miami

Coach of the Year: Al Skinner. That BC team was supposed to be terrible. They should make the dance, and while alot of credit goes to Tyrese Rice, Skinner has done a great job.

2nd: Leonard Hamilton, FSU; 3rd: Oliver Purnell, Clemson; 4th: Coach K (Won't see me trying to spell it), Duke

Rookie of the Year: Come on. Does anyone really want to guess who I'm picking here? The next big thing in UVa hoops, and the best Freshman in the ACC, Sylven Landesberg!

2nd: Al-Farouq Aminu, Wake; 3rd: Chris Singleton, FSU; 4th: Iman Shumpert, GT.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First team: Henderson, Singler, Hansbrough, Douglass and Teague

Second team: McClinton, Rice, Booker, Johnson, Lawson

I could see the argument for anyone over the guys on the first vs second teams but those are the guys I would go with.

POY: Douglass

ROY: Landesberg will win it but I would go with Aminu since he provides more all around stuff IMO.

COY: Skinner barely over Greenberg

First team: Henderson, Singler, Hansbrough, Douglass and Teague

Second team: McClinton, Rice, Booker, Johnson, Lawson

I could see the argument for anyone over the guys on the first vs second teams but those are the guys I would go with.

POY: Douglass

ROY: Landesberg will win it but I would go with Aminu since he provides more all around stuff IMO.

COY: Skinner barely over Greenberg

Shocking you'd choose that first team ;)

I just think 3 of those 5 guards have to be on the first team. Rice, McClinton, Lawson, Teague, and Douglas. As you said though, pretty clear Top 10 I think, I can't imagine anyone else making a really good argument for someone that wasn't listed.

Although Aminu is obviously the better NBA prospect, Landesberg has a pretty good all-around game as well. He has bascially taken over PG duties for Letiao lately. And the guy is avergaing 18 ppg, pretty tough to make the argument he shouldn't win it.

Agree on Douglas and Skinner, not sure how you put Greenberg second....That team has a lot of talent and has underachieved this year if you ask me. Hamilton, Purnell, and Coach K have all done better jobs I think.

Shocking you'd choose that first team ;)

I just think 3 of those 5 guards have to be on the first team. Rice, McClinton, Lawson, Teague, and Douglas. As you said though, pretty clear Top 10 I think, I can't imagine anyone else making a really good argument for someone that wasn't listed.

Although Aminu is obviously the better NBA prospect, Landesberg has a pretty good all-around game as well. He has bascially taken over PG duties for Letiao lately. And the guy is avergaing 18 ppg, pretty tough to make the argument he shouldn't win it.

Agree on Douglas and Skinner, not sure how you put Greenberg second....That team has a lot of talent and has underachieved this year if you ask me. Hamilton, Purnell, and Coach K have all done better jobs I think.

I am not sure how Henderson or Singler can really be left off...Duke is one of the elite teams in the conference and those 2 are why...Henderson has average over 18 points a game in the last 15+ games...His defense and rebounding have been solid as well.

Singler is as versatile player as there is in the country.

Without either of them doing very well for Duke, they would be a 6-5 or 506 type team in the conference.

I guess if you look at McClinton and say he has been lights out offensively, despite his team underachieving, I can see his argument for the first team but I went with guys on the top teams.

I am not sure how Henderson or Singler can really be left off...Duke is one of the elite teams in the conference and those 2 are why...Henderson has average over 18 points a game in the last 15+ games...His defense and rebounding have been solid as well.

Singler is as versatile player as there is in the country.

Without either of them doing very well for Duke, they would be a 6-5 or 506 type team in the conference.

I guess if you look at McClinton and say he has been lights out offensively, despite his team underachieving, I can see his argument for the first team but I went with guys on the top teams.

Trust me, it's not like it was easy for me to leave Singler and Henderson off. They have been great. If the ACC took a cop-out the way the Big East does and had 100 First-Team All-Conference players, they both would have made it.

I just couldn't leave McClinton off, the rest of that team really isn't very good, and I love the way he plays. They are a couple dumb mistakes of teammates from possibly having beaten Duke and Carolina, and begin a tournament lock.

They still may make it anyways. I guess if anything, maybe I would put Henderson on and take Booker off, but it's splitting hairs.

Again, ten players with a legit argument, not really any others IMO.

Douglas

Lawson

Teague

Henderson

Hansbrough

POY-Hansbrough

COY- Leonard Hamilton

Best pro prospect-Gerald Henderson

Most Overrated- Wayne Ellington

Most underrated-Deon Thompson

Best Game- UNC/Maryland 2-21-09

Best Team-North Carolina

Worst Team-Georgia Tech

Best coach- Gary Williams

Worst Coach- Sidney Lowe, Dino Gaudio

Best Fans-North Carolina ;)

Douglas

Lawson

Teague

Henderson

Hansbrough

POY-Hansbrough

COY- Leonard Hamilton

Best Team-North Carolina

Worst Team-Georgia Tech

Is there a bigger disappointment in the ACC than Ellington?

Is there a bigger disappointment in the ACC than Ellington?

Yea, NC State since Sendek left.

Ellington is a nice player, but again they're talking about him leaving early and I just don't see it. He's a good college basketball player, no more, no less. He's miles behind his teammates, and his high school buddy Henderson.

Douglas

Lawson

Teague

Henderson

Hansbrough

POY-Hansbrough

COY- Leonard Hamilton

Best Team-North Carolina

Worst Team-Georgia Tech

So if you recruit cruddy talent and coach them to being a bubble team you get an award? Really?

I don't really think Deon needs to be higher rated than he is. He is a solid player, but he disappeared for the middle 3rd of the season.

I'll give worst coach to Dino Gaudio. The team has the potential to be great, but he can't get them to be consistent at all.

If there was a most overrated coach, I'd give it to Roy. For some reason, he's incapable of getting that team to buy into playing perimeter defense.

My first team is:

Lawson: He's the best PG in this conference by a mile IMO. He leads in assists and A/TO (and it isn't close) He shoots 50% on 3s. He averages over 2 steals per game. I don't see how in the world anyone could leave him off.

Teague: Great scorer. Shoots over 50% on 3s. Explosive. Solid assist, rebound, and steal numbers for a guard. I chose him over Douglas because all of his stats besides points are better.

McClinton: This guy is scary good. He wins games all by himself. He can seemingly score whenever he needs to. He beats out Rice for my list...but I could hear an argument for either.

Hansbrough: His numbers took a step down from last year, but they are still nasty.

Henderson: This guy has scary ability. He can drive. He can shoot. He's a terrific rebounder for a guard. He can jump through the roof. He is just explosive.

POY: Lawson...Hansbrough gets more glory, but this guy makes the best team in the conference go. His A/TO is amazing. He has improved his shooting tremendously. He can score on any guard in the country. He makes opposing PGs look downright slow. In the MD game, he appeared to be the only guy on UNC who was still going. I know he won't win it, but this guy is the best player on the best team IMO.

So if you recruit cruddy talent and coach them to being a bubble team you get an award? Really?

I don't really think Deon needs to be higher rated than he is. He is a solid player, but he disappeared for the middle 3rd of the season.

I'll give worst coach to Dino Gaudio. The team has the potential to be great, but he can't get them to be consistent at all.

If there was a most overrated coach, I'd give it to Roy. For some reason, he's incapable of getting that team to buy into playing perimeter defense.

My first team is:

Lawson: He's the best PG in this conference by a mile IMO. He leads in assists and A/TO (and it isn't close) He shoots 50% on 3s. He averages over 2 steals per game. I don't see how in the world anyone could leave him off.

Teague: Great scorer. Shoots over 50% on 3s. Explosive. Solid assist, rebound, and steal numbers for a guard. I chose him over Douglas because all of his stats besides points are better.

McClinton: This guy is scary good. He wins games all by himself. He can seemingly score whenever he needs to. He beats out Rice for my list...but I could hear an argument for either.

Hansbrough: His numbers took a step down from last year, but they are still nasty.

Henderson: This guy has scary ability. He can drive. He can shoot. He's a terrific rebounder for a guard. He can jump through the roof. He is just explosive.

POY: Lawson...Hansbrough gets more glory, but this guy makes the best team in the conference go. His A/TO is amazing. He has improved his shooting tremendously. He can score on any guard in the country. He makes opposing PGs look downright slow. In the MD game, he appeared to be the only guy on UNC who was still going. I know he won't win it, but this guy is the best player on the best team IMO.

I still think Gary is the best in game coach in the league. I'll stand by it until he leaves. I know he's not a great recruiter, but I'm talking about coaching in game only.

I think Deon Thompson will be a really good pro player, you'll see. Henderson is scary good, once he gets a good handle, he could be the next Dwyane Wade, look out.

Gaudio and Lowe are just in over their heads, that's all. It's a shame Wake doens't have a "real" coach, they have as much talent as anyone in the nation. Hope those guys come back, I'm hearing otherwise though.

Lawson is unreal, and I now think he can excel at the next level. He's so fast, and has worked really hard to be a solid shooter. If he keeps improving, he'll start for an NBA team soon.

Hansbrough will win POY, those who are down on him should remember that he hasn't been 100% at all this season. He still outworks everyone on the floor, and despite his tendency to travel once in a while, is pretty much money in the bank once he gets the ball down low.

My first team is:

Besides your expected and utterly ridiculous crack at Gary that we all knew was coming, you can't really be serious leaving Douglas off your first team, can you? Do you watch any games besides Maryland games? Douglas was the best player in the league this year. He is the one guy, IMO, that CANNOT be left off the first team.

I do agree about Lawson being the best guy on the best team, though. He is an incredible talent.

I still think Gary is the best in game coach in the league. I'll stand by it until he leaves. I know he's not a great recruiter, but I'm talking about coaching in game only.

I think Deon Thompson will be a really good pro player, you'll see. Henderson is scary good, once he gets a good handle, he could be the next Dwyane Wade, look out.

Gaudio and Lowe are just in over their heads, that's all. It's a shame Wake doens't have a "real" coach, they have as much talent as anyone in the nation. Hope those guys come back, I'm hearing otherwise though.

Lawson is unreal, and I now think he can excel at the next level. He's so fast, and has worked really hard to be a solid shooter. If he keeps improving, he'll start for an NBA team soon.

Hansbrough will win POY, those who are down on him should remember that he hasn't been 100% at all this season. He still outworks everyone on the floor, and despite his tendency to travel once in a while, is pretty much money in the bank once he gets the ball down low.

As usual, I agree with everything you said, besides the Hansbrough part. Douglas deserves it.

Buuuuut....

You left out rookie of the year???!!!!

Come one bean, my one chance to have a guy win an award this year, and you don't even mention it??

You're killin me!

As usual, I agree with everything you said, besides the Hansbrough part. Douglas deserves it.

Buuuuut....

You left out rookie of the year???!!!!

Come one bean, my one chance to have a guy win an award this year, and you don't even mention it??

You're killin me!

With all due respect for Douglas, Hansbrough's a lock.

Rookie of the year:

Sylven Landesberg- The University of Virginia

Sorry, bro!

With all due respect for Douglas, Hansbrough's a lock.

Rookie of the year:

Sylven Landesberg- The University of Virginia

Sorry, bro!

Agree that Hansbrough WILL win, I would just vote for Douglas.

And thank you! In a year where you only win 3 conference games (so far), I need any positive thinking I can get.

Besides your expected and utterly ridiculous crack at Gary that we all knew was coming, you can't really be serious leaving Douglas off your first team, can you? Do you watch any games besides Maryland games? Douglas was the best player in the league this year. He is the one guy, IMO, that CANNOT be left off the first team.

I do agree about Lawson being the best guy on the best team, though. He is an incredible talent.

Nope...I just make things up. I guess I missed the part where I said Douglas was no good.

Archived