Rubenstein and his “Why”

Master Guns

50 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I see nothing to nitpick in what he said. As a matter of fact I would expect him to make those statements as a smart business man, billionaire, and Baltimore Native who is a life long Orioles fan.  Nothing out of the ordinary there.

I'm excited for his group of investors to be approved and pump sum much needed investments into this franchise and it's talented personnel. It takes money to make money.

Agreed. And being a "good investment" also probably the thing that the other owners who will vote on this would like to see from him. Nothing to see here. As @ThisIsBirdlandwrote above, bringing a championship to Baltimore was in his first statement the day in his initial press release.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He also has said that most of the profit is realized when the team is sold, and the examples he cited were how the value grew over decades.

At the very least, it's a strong inflation hedge with a strong moat (congressionally-granted antitrust exemption) and a LONG history of growth (i.e., 150+ years)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

At the very least, it's a strong inflation hedge with a strong moat (congressionally-granted antitrust exemption) and a LONG history of growth (i.e., 150+ years)

This, plus this particular franchise has a lot of unrealized revenue potential.  There is risk with the hazy future of local TV revenue but I don’t think the O’s have been creative or aggressive at all in building their revenue base.  

10 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Seriously? I know it's a message board and encountering various perspectives should be anticipated, but this mopey nonsense looking for the tiniest reasons to be upset is just over the top.

By the way, here's his initial press release statement to make you feel better:

“I am grateful to the Angelos family for the opportunity to join the team I have been a fan of my entire life. I look forward to working with all the Orioles owners, players and staff to build upon the incredible success the team has achieved in recent seasons. Our collective goal will be to bring a World Series Trophy back to the City of Baltimore. To the fans I say: we do it for you and can’t do it without you. Thank you for your support.”

Yeah but he said World Series trophy. Singular. He’s gonna strip the team after he wins the first one 😉

I don’t see anything wrong with what he said. I would expect a smart person who has made billions to see any transaction of this size as an investment. I hope no one was expecting him to run it as a charity.

My main thing is that he can’t run the org any worse than what we’ve had. At least he has expressed a desire to win.

And to the poster who made the “Mormon” comment, that is a ridiculously narrow perspective. I have to assume that you a very young.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t see anything wrong with what he said. I would expect a smart person who has made billions to see any transaction of this size as an investment. I hope no one was expecting him to run it as a charity.

My main thing is that he can’t run the org any worse than what we’ve had. At least he has expressed a desire to win.

And to the poster who made the “Mormon” comment, that is a ridiculously narrow perspective. I have to assume that you a very young.

Rubenstein is a very typically sounding Mormon name.  Easy mistake.  😉

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Seriously? I know it's a message board and encountering various perspectives should be anticipated, but this mopey nonsense looking for the tiniest reasons to be upset is just over the top.

By the way, here's his initial press release statement to make you feel better:

“I am grateful to the Angelos family for the opportunity to join the team I have been a fan of my entire life. I look forward to working with all the Orioles owners, players and staff to build upon the incredible success the team has achieved in recent seasons. Our collective goal will be to bring a World Series Trophy back to the City of Baltimore. To the fans I say: we do it for you and can’t do it without you. Thank you for your support.”

You know when an abused animal gets adopted by a new loving family, and it takes a while for the animal to trust the new people, no matter how good they are? We're in that phase.

Edited by Gunnar
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Master Guns said:

Good quick watch/listen. 

I find it interesting that Rubenstein tweeted this out with an @Orioles hashtag so all the people who follow the team on X would see it.  I think he’s itching to talk more about this but can’t really do it until the sale goes through.   That initial press conference is going to be a doozy.   

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would not compare my time as an Oriole fan with actual abuse.

Most of us got the innocent attempt at humor.  Laughing at his statement doesn’t lessen someone’s contempt for animal abuse.   

• Upvote 2