Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Mike Elias said on MLB Network that Bradish would possibly be back in the first half.   Though that is definitive its the first time I have heard O's management put any kind of time frame on Bradish return.

So I will think by the All Star break for now if all goes well.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/mike-elias-discusses-success-of-the-orioles

He also said along the lines of that you need 7-8, and 2-3 of them will likely be banged up at some point. 

This is what I worry about for us is that now we’re tapping into our #6/#7 SP, and if anymore injuries occur the #6-8 guys are Tehrehan, Zimmerman, and Povich/Mcdermott. I don’t know if you can win the in AL East with that.

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He also said along the lines of that you need 7-8, and 2-3 of them will likely be banged up at some point. 

This is what I worry about for us is that now we’re tapping into our #6/#7 SP, and if anymore injuries occur the #6-8 guys are Tehrehan, Zimmerman, and Povich/Mcdermott. I don’t know if you can win the in AL East with that.

What team in the AL East has 6-8 top starters ready to go? 

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What team in the AL East has 6-8 top starters ready to go? 

Last year the Yankees and Rays did.  The Jays didn’t really get tested because they were healthy all year. Ryu was essentially their #6 SP. 

Going into a season… you’re not doing much better than what we had 6-8. However, did we really have that?  We as the public thought we did, but Means and Bradish were injured. If Bradish and Means went down during the season, then “next man up” would have to work. 

We’ll just have to see how ST shakes out. Other milb vet types like Terehan will get IP in ST and could choose to opt out and be options for us. Sort of like how Elias grabbed Coloumbe last year right before OD. The easy move would be to just sign Lorenzen, but money is a factor. Lorenzen could even be justified as a reliever because he’d basically be Dave Robertson in terms of his past salaries. A plug and play vet, set up man. But again money…

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Last year the Yankees and Rays did.  The Jays didn’t really get tested because they were healthy all year. Ryu was essentially their #6 SP. 

Going into a season… you’re not doing much better than what we had 6-8. However, did we really have that?  We as the public thought we did, but Means and Bradish were injured. If Bradish and Means went down during the season, then “next man up” would have to work. 

We’ll just have to see how ST shakes out. Other milb vet types like Terehan will get IP in ST and could choose to opt out and be options for us. Sort of like how Elias grabbed Coloumbe last year right before OD. The easy move would be to just sign Lorenzen, but money is a factor. Lorenzen could even be justified as a reliever because he’d basically be Dave Robertson in terms of his past salaries. A plug and play vet, set up man. But again money…

Did those teams really have 6-8 starters that were good or were they just plugging guys in and hoping just like we would be doing.  The Rays started 51-22 then the pitching injuries started to mount up and they finished 48-43.  We have a really strong 1-7 imo with guys that have had good success recently as starters in MLB. If you have to go 8-9 deep you’re not going to be able to do it unless you get contributions from young minor leaguers that come up that just a fact.  

• Upvote 1

I read a fantasy take the John Means delay is load management like Tampa is doing with Shane Baz.

Spin is that he's healed fine, they are just staggering the start knowing already a 2024 budget they have in mind.

We can't know of course, until actions speak.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I read a fantasy take the John Means delay is load management like Tampa is doing with Shane Baz.

Spin is that he's healed fine, they are just staggering the start knowing already a 2024 budget they have in mind.

We can't know of course, until actions speak.

My first instinct is to doubt it, but it does have some strategic intrigue with a fragile arm, long season, and soft April schedule. 

49 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

My first instinct is to doubt it, but it does have some strategic intrigue with a fragile arm, long season, and soft April schedule. 

I didn't Zapruder film go back to Elias trash dump on camp day 1 to parse the specifics, or if he gave any context why the delay.

Spring is 6 weeks, the season is 26.5, the tournament 5 more.     Perhaps by next year the Dodgers will employ Sasaki as well as Ohtani and Yamamoto, and no one much asks the world's best pitchers to sustain for 37.5 weeks, except I hope in one instance of Corbin Burnes on the '23 Orioles.

John Means is a couple steps down, but I bet if I did circle back, and first imagined "what would Elias say out loud to the media" in mid-February if the Sigbot thought Means had 20 good games in him, the imagine and reality might be not that far apart.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Mike Elias said on MLB Network that Bradish would possibly be back in the first half.   Though that is definitive its the first time I have heard O's management put any kind of time frame on Bradish return.

So I will think by the All Star break for now if all goes well.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/mike-elias-discusses-success-of-the-orioles

Both back “possibly, pretty quickly, into the first half.”

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Birds08 said:

Anyone know what is actually happening here?  If trying to have him ready to actually pitch, what timeline is? 

He’s going to start throwing and hit throwing milestones as long as his ucl hold ups. So he’s at long toss. Next is throwing off a mound. Then throwing an actual bullpen.

The good news is that he was able to throw long toss at a normal distance. We’ll see…

13 minutes ago, Birds08 said:

Anyone know what is actually happening here?  If trying to have him ready to actually pitch, what timeline is? 

All Elias has said is by the All-Star Break. My guess is late May/early June at best.

On 2/15/2024 at 2:07 PM, emmett16 said:

Thats right.  The O’s have a history of being transparent with their Injuries 👍.  With an oblique injury I wouldn’t expect him to be at 100% and ready to plan full time by opening day.  I’d like to be wrong.  But with an oblique you can’t do anything.  You have an arm injury, you can train your lower half. Oblique/core injuries effects everything.  You have to shut down until it is 100% healed, then start from scratch. 

Just circling back on this one. You think Gunnar is going to be off crutches by Opening Day?