Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

27 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I'm very, very far from venturing into "getting my hopes up" territory. But I guess it's somethin'. 

Sure beats the alternative.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

While I can appreciate the effort you and your son are putting into this, the fun level has to be taken into consideration. When playing a sport becomes work at the youth level, and you are tracking how many throws he makes a day, does it start to lose the fun? 

Perhaps not with your son, but I'm betting many kids have no interest in this. At some point the science has to be weighed with the fun factor, especially at the Little League level.

I certainly don't know the answer to any of this so I'm not saying what's right or wrong, but I did coach kids at many level including high school and there always has to be a fun factor in there.

Agree 100%.  Making the game fun is goal #1 and goes a long way to improving skills as well.   I wouldn't advocate for it pre 12U/11U and only for kids that have aspirations of playing past high school and could be subject to accidental coach abuse.  It's also as simple as putting on a wrist band, so not cumbersome or time consuming.  But it's scary to see firsthand how many kids get 'little league' elbow or 'little league' shoulder because they have no idea how much they are throwing.  I see it like a bike helmet.  It was pretty lame to wear the helmet when we were younger and we weren’t  used to, but it becomes business as usual pretty quickly and part of the routine.  When kids were mandated to wear helmets they didn't lose the fun in riding their bikes, it just became the new normal. 

Fun factor is an aspect that I think is overlooked by all and is a crucial component into making the practice more complete, focused, and deliberate.  If practice isn't 'gamified' then kids start to go through the motions and don't put in their best effort and aren't improving and to your point, aren't having as much fun.  

You'd be surprised.  It's actually a game to him to see how close he can guess how many throws he had.  He anxiously downloads the info into the app to see how close he can get with his guess.  The new generation of kids and tech is wild, any new gadget, app, etc. is exciting to them and they are pretty adaptable. 

Edited by emmett16

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Agree 100%.  Making the game fun is goal #1 and goes a long way to improving skills as well.   I wouldn't advocate for it pre 12U/11U and only for kids that have aspirations of playing past high school an could subject to accidental coach abuse.  It's also as simple as putting on a wrist band, so not cumbersome or time consuming.  But it's scary to see firsthand how many kids get 'little league' elbow or 'little league' shoulder because they have no idea how much they are throwing.  I see it like a bike helmet.  It was pretty lame to wear the helmet when we were younger and didn't used to, but it becomes business as usual pretty quickly and part of the routine.  When kids were mandated to wear helmets they didn't lose the fun in riding their bikes, it just became the new normal. 

Fun factor is an aspect that I think is overlooked by all and is a crucial component into making the practice more complete, focused, and deliberate.  If practice isn't 'gamified' then kids start to go through the motions and don't put in their best effort and aren't improving and to your point, aren't having as much fun.  

You'd be surprised.  It's actually a game to him to see how close he can guess how many throws he had.  He anxiously downloads the info into the app to see how close he can get with his guess.  The new generation of kids and tech is wild, any new gadget, app, etc. is exciting to them and they are pretty adaptable. 

Zero Fun Sir GIFs | Tenor

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

While I can appreciate the effort you and your son are putting into this, the fun level has to be taken into consideration. When playing a sport becomes work at the youth level, and you are tracking how many throws he makes a day, does it start to lose the fun? 

Perhaps not with your son, but I'm betting many kids have no interest in this. At some point the science has to be weighed with the fun factor, especially at the Little League level.

I certainly don't know the answer to any of this so I'm not saying what's right or wrong, but I did coach kids at many level including high school and there always has to be a fun factor in there.

I saw kids start to take throwing really serious at 11/12 years old. Certainly by 8th grade. It's the kids that take this seriously and have goals of pitching in highly competitive environments (top travel, top high schools, eventually college). For that type, arm care is really starting to take off.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Aren't fastballs the least strenuous pitch to throw? Still not in the clear yet.

Yes and no.  Typically a fastball is the most strenuous pitch you throw.  Most torque on the elbow, but that’s because you are throwing it harder with more arm speed.  When normalized for velocity, the pitches where you supinate your wrist cause the most stress.  But, those pitches aren’t thrown at the same velocity.  

It’s also why you don’t hear of as many UCL injuries to QBs, the ball is 3x heavier (15oz. V. 5.25 oz.).  They can’t move their arm fast enough while throwing to damage the UCL.  

https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2017/02/fastballs-offspeed-pitches-comparative-relative-elbow-stress/

Edited by emmett16

9 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Missed your post before I commented.  Agree that nothing is settled science.  It’s all a work in progress with many outliers.  It’s interesting that even at lower velocities pitchers reported more discomfort throwing supinating pitches (which has driven the thought that curve balls cause arm damage). But that may just be using small muscles on the arm one isn’t used to using.  

Meister says the sweeper and power change are causing issues.

https://theathletic.com/5325032/2024/03/08/elbow-injuries-mlb-pitchers/

42 minutes ago, interloper said:

Why? Just curious. I'm not optimistic overall, but what about this reads not optimistic to you? 

The whole “this season” thing. I know that can be interpreted a lot of ways but the lack of an actual time table just didn’t give me a lot of optimism. Had he said something like, I think I will be back no later than the AS break, that would have been good.