Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole “this season” thing. I know that can be interpreted a lot of ways but the lack of an actual time table just didn’t give me a lot of optimism. Had he said something like, I think I will be back no later than the AS break, that would have been good.

Yeah maybe. It could just be Roch or whoever phrased the question like "do you still expect to pitch this season" and he just said "yeah". No way to know. Either way, it doesn't really matter, it all feels like a long shot. How are 20 of those devastating sliders going to feel when he starts throwing them, is my question. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah maybe. It could just be Roch or whoever phrased the question like "do you still expect to pitch this season" and he just said "yeah". No way to know. Either way, it doesn't really matter, it all feels like a long shot. How are 20 of those devastating sliders going to feel when he starts throwing them, is my question. 

Here is the full quote that likely resulted in Roch's tweet:

Asked if he’s more optimistic now that he’ll pitch in 2024 after being diagnosed in January with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, Bradish replied, “I mean, I’ve been optimistic through this whole rehab and everything. It’s just another step in the right direction.

“We haven’t had any setbacks or anything like that. I’ve clicked every box and it’s just another step in the right direction.”

33 minutes ago, interloper said:

Here is the full quote that likely resulted in Roch's tweet:

Asked if he’s more optimistic now that he’ll pitch in 2024 after being diagnosed in January with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, Bradish replied, “I mean, I’ve been optimistic through this whole rehab and everything. It’s just another step in the right direction.

“We haven’t had any setbacks or anything like that. I’ve clicked every box and it’s just another step in the right direction.”

Was just about to post this. I guess its positive news in an otherwise dreary situation.

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Was just about to post this. I guess its positive news in an otherwise dreary situation.

Or...it wasn't as bad as we feared from the start.

We really know next to nothing about this injury. Would it be weird for the O's to be overly cautious from the start, thus alarming people? I don't really think so. Is it possible this still ends in TJ surgery. Yes. 

I just think there's a wider range of outcomes than we've been entertaining. I believe that because I kind of doubt he'd be throwing off the mound already if this was initially very serious.

6 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Or...it wasn't as bad as we feared from the start.

We really know next to nothing about this injury. Would it be weird for the O's to be overly cautious from the start, thus alarming people? I don't really think so. Is it possible this still ends in TJ surgery. Yes. 

I just think there's a wider range of outcomes than we've been entertaining. I believe that because I kind of doubt he'd be throwing off the mound already if this was initially very serious.

People have apparently seen too many instances of rehab not working to even entertain the possibility that this may have been a minor tear where surgery wasn’t the right course of action. There’s also a self-preserving benefit of keeping expectations low when you care about something as much as many of us do on this subject. 

The Os have been communicating the entire time that this rehab program had a high enough chance of success to likely allow Bradish to meaningfully contribute this year. That doesn’t mean it will work out but the pessimism amongst the fanbase hasn’t matched the communications from the team or Bradish’s throwing program IMO.

12 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

People have apparently seen too many instances of rehab not working to even entertain the possibility that this may have been a minor tear where surgery wasn’t the right course of action. There’s also a self-preserving benefit of keeping expectations low when you care about something as much as many of us do on this subject. 

The Os have been communicating the entire time that this rehab program had a high enough chance of success to likely allow Bradish to meaningfully contribute this year. That doesn’t mean it will work out but the pessimism amongst the fanbase hasn’t matched the communications from the team or Bradish’s throwing program IMO.

For what it's worth, I also assumed the worst, and still fear the worst. I fear he has some weakness in the UCL that will be realized when he's throwing with essentially max effort over 80+ pitches.

I assume the O's saw the injury, treated it and are reimaging (not just relying on his physical/verbal feedback) to assess the degree to which it's healed. I'm not sure how perfect that science is, but all of this combined with him throwing off the mound makes me think it was very minor and they have a decent feeling that it has been treated.

8 hours ago, LookinUp said:

For what it's worth, I also assumed the worst, and still fear the worst. I fear he has some weakness in the UCL that will be realized when he's throwing with essentially max effort over 80+ pitches.

I assume the O's saw the injury, treated it and are reimaging (not just relying on his physical/verbal feedback) to assess the degree to which it's healed. I'm not sure how perfect that science is, but all of this combined with him throwing off the mound makes me think it was very minor and they have a decent feeling that it has been treated.

I’m just wondering why there’s such a lack of transparency about it. We don’t know hardly anything. 

10 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I’m just wondering why there’s such a lack of transparency about it. We don’t know hardly anything. 

What haven’t they publicly shared necessarily? Outside of a defined timetable but that’s probably pretty challenging to accurately nail down I’d imagine? 

48 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

What haven’t they publicly shared necessarily? Outside of a defined timetable but that’s probably pretty challenging to accurately nail down I’d imagine? 

Be nice to know the grade of strain. 

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

IMO Elias knows that Bradish could be one pitch away from TJ surgery.   They are being very cautious in his rehab and the way they talk about his recovery.   Hopefully the rehab goes fine and he pitches well for the O's this season.   But its too early in the rehab to say much about it.