Mayo to play first and third this spring..preparing for RF

Sports Guy

We might as well have Mayo up here after the 9-10 days. The odds are that he and Holliday both won’t finish top 2 in ROY. Then if Mayo looks good enough to be our game 10+ 3B starter, you could trade Westburg. Only can start 3 of Gunnar, Holliday, Mayo, and Westburg. No sense having one of them be a 4th IF when you could get a desperately needed SP. Not a good use of resources to be the 4th IF. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

At least for Camden Yards, I feel like range in RF is a little overrated compared to just getting good jumps and playing the scoreboard smartly. I like Santander's defense out there even though he sorta drags an achor. He's pretty efficient. Markakis didn't have great range/speed. 

Part of the reason why I'm not really worried about Kjerstad's defense (I know we're talking about Mayo lol). I think he'll do just fine. Unless he's Jay Gibbons. Don't be Jay Gibbons, Heston. 

Are you saying stay off the steroids?

1 hour ago, G54377 said:

Mayo playing passable RF defense would really help settle our (likely) future spots for everyone. 

Third base?     Mayo mustering passable 3B defense would I think unlock the most powerful version of the offense.

I think over the next couple years Jordan Westburg is probably going to durably outplay one of Kjerstad, Cowser or Mayo and stay in the Starting Nine, but if Kjerstad and Cowser both make it, Mayo needs 3B to fit the lineup without pushing himself, Basallo or Kjerstad to a full-time DH role nobody wants.

I agree him becoming a good RF is the defensive ceiling if 3B is too much for him.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We might as well have Mayo up here after the 9-10 days. The odds are that he and Holliday both won’t finish top 2 in ROY. Then if Mayo looks good enough to be our game 10+ 3B starter, you could trade Westburg. Only can start 3 of Gunnar, Holliday, Mayo, and Westburg. No sense having one of them be a 4th IF when you could get a desperately needed SP. Not a good use of resources to be the 4th IF. 

Or trade one of Mountcastle, Urias, Hays, and Santander. Seems prudent to find a way to keep a guy like Westburg around. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Some posters here think that Kjerstad can not play major league level OF defense.

Who thinks that?   Most objective sources seem to think he’ll be anywhere from passable to average.

Tony had some reservations about Kjerstad's defense as noted by this quote.

On 2/8/2024 at 11:23 AM, Tony-OH said:

So could Mark Trumbo. Tracking flyballs is just one aspect of being a good defensive outfielder. Saying that, Kjerstad is not a butcher out there, but he'll never be more than adequate out there either. 

Outfielders we’ve seen in recent years: Trumbo, Kim, Mancini.  I have little doubt Kjerstad can play as well as those guys.  I’d say Santander is better than those three and I’m not sure if Kjerstad can match or exceed Santander’s level.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Outfielders we’ve seen in recent years: Trumbo, Kim, Mancini.  I have little doubt Kjerstad can play as well as those guys.  I’d say Santander is better than those three and I’m not sure if Kjerstad can match or exceed Santander’s level.  

I'm not sure if DJ Stewart is offended or thankful for his absence.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Manny Ramirez wasn’t exactly a defensive wizard.