Bauer interested in O's

Bigbie03

13 minutes ago, blid said:

I know there is debate about if he had consent and stuff like that and I don't want to get into those arguments, but as I understand it there is gopro footage of some of the stuff he did with women he rendered unconscious. I believe no team is going to go out on a limb signing him when there's a risk something like that could get leaked.

His perceived Sexual deviancy is definitely weird, but I think its also a generational problem (I wish this situation would bring that conversation to the societal table more than focusing on Bauer as an individual). I feel, as the narratives have come to light, a lot of what he did can't technically be held against him in court bc it was mutual prior to the "abuse." Its not a good way to live life in my opinion, but in the end, I don't think it will keep him out of MLB bc there are no convictions

I'm also hoping the situation changes him for the better; I like redemption stories. But looking at the situation objectively, I think his market is actually being held up by Montgomery and Snell.  Bauer will not cost a lot, but teams are probably hoping they can land one of the other two at a discounted rate; once those 2 land, the teams that missed out are going to be desperate enough for pitching to give Bauer a shot; they have probably already prepared PR plans to endure the 3 day fire storm..

The woman who tried to pursue the legal case clearly was up to no good.  There is video showing her smiling and unharmed after the supposed assault took place.  She referred to Bauer as "her next victim" in texts- clearly trying to exploit his fame and fortune.

I've never met Bauer or spoken with him.  By many people's accounts he's a jerk, opinionated, narcissistic, and could potentially disrupt a clubhouse.  I want his pitching for the Orioles, I don't want him for the Orioles....

If I were a last place team, I'd sign him and flip him for good prospects.  That's a cheap deal for a top pitcher and as the season wears on and teams suffer casualties, someone will need him and give up prospects for him...

3 hours ago, DocJJ said:

The woman who tried to pursue the legal case clearly was up to no good.  There is video showing her smiling and unharmed after the supposed assault took place.  She referred to Bauer as "her next victim" in texts- clearly trying to exploit his fame and fortune.

I've never met Bauer or spoken with him.  By many people's accounts he's a jerk, opinionated, narcissistic, and could potentially disrupt a clubhouse.  I want his pitching for the Orioles, I don't want him for the Orioles....

If I were a last place team, I'd sign him and flip him for good prospects.  That's a cheap deal for a top pitcher and as the season wears on and teams suffer casualties, someone will need him and give up prospects for him...

Force him to sleep in different hotels as the team.  Make him sit in the bullpen area in a private little hut we build for him.  Buy him some blow up dolls so he can punch them instead of real women.....and we should be good.  Make him communicate to the coaches and team and media via Zoom.  Put an ankle bracelet on him so we can make sure he isnt hanging out with any of the real talent in the off time.   

Or just give him a contract for minimum and if he does not work out you cut him.  Its not rocket science.  If he can get outs and shut his mouth I say take a chance.  If he can push a good arm like Wells into the pen then it makes the team better.   

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, blid said:

I know there is debate about if he had consent and stuff like that and I don't want to get into those arguments, but as I understand it there is gopro footage of some of the stuff he did with women he rendered unconscious. I believe no team is going to go out on a limb signing him when there's a risk something like that could get leaked.

I never heard about this, but if true its tasteless and I hope the O's dont sign him.

I think the problem holding Bauer back now is that he’s not a fly under the radar type personality. He’s a big time trash talker. Big social media presence and he’s essentially the Tim Tebow of pitcher right now meaning that he’s going to be the main focus of media coverage with any team that signs him. 

If he had a low profile then I think some team like Oakland could sneak him in and let him fly under the radar in obscurity before trading him at the deadline after the initial hub bub is over. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think the problem holding Bauer back now is that he’s not a fly under the radar type personality. He’s a big time trash talker. Big social media presence and he’s essentially the Tim Tebow of pitcher right now meaning that he’s going to be the main focus of media coverage with any team that signs him. 

If he had a low profile then I think some team like Oakland could sneak him in and let him fly under the radar in obscurity before trading him at the deadline after the initial hub bub is over. 

Haha.  With his baggage, deserved or not  there's no such thing as "under the radar".   Doesn't matter how much of a choir boy he is now or if he's as quiet as a mouse.

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  With his baggage, deserved or not  there's no such thing as "under the radar".   Doesn't matter how much of a choir boy he is now or if he's as quiet as a mouse.

I’m not a Bauer apologist and I’ve flip flopped on this issue…

He’s not a “choir boy” he has his beef with Gerrit Cole going back to UCLA. He was also labeled a weirdo in college for doing his own pitching program that pretty much has been adopted across the country now. 

He also was ahead of the game with social media and vlogging while still being an active player. His “Momentum” brand and channel has taken off. 

So with that being said, it’s a little hard to tell him to stay off social media and just shut up considering that he makes and made a decent amount of money before all this. 

He was guilty before proven innocent so social media was a good tool to get himself out there in a positive way and to eventually tell his own side of the story. 

Idk what the average age here but I think the people over 30 that aren’t active on social media/dating sites don’t understand that people now have the apps and platforms to shop a la carte for whatever sex stuff they’re into.

The cops went through both their phones and couldn’t even meet the small level of proof to charge him and the judge couldn’t even find the smallest level of proof to even rule yes on the protective order. 

Here’s what I’ve come to, what percentage of adults 18-50 haven’t engaged in what would be considered rough sex?  So now the debate will be what the general public feels is “too rough”. With dating apps, and DMs, and consenting adults, the cops must see this stuff all the time. 

If they’re consenting adults, and obviously the cops/judges thought they were, then just like other issues, we should stay outta people’s bedrooms.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not a Bauer apologist and I’ve flip flopped on this issue…

He’s not a “choir boy” he has his beef with Gerrit Cole going back to UCLA. He was also labeled a weirdo in college for doing his own pitching program that pretty much has been adopted across the country now. 

He also was ahead of the game with social media and vlogging while still being an active player. His “Momentum” brand and channel has taken off. 

So with that being said, it’s a little hard to tell him to stay off social media and just shut up considering that he makes and made a decent amount of money before all this. 

He was guilty before proven innocent so social media was a good tool to get himself out there in a positive way and to eventually tell his own side of the story. 

Idk what the average age here but I think the people over 30 that aren’t active on social media/dating sites don’t understand that people now have the apps and platforms to shop a la carte for whatever sex stuff they’re into.

The cops went through both their phones and couldn’t even meet the small level of proof to charge him and the judge couldn’t even find the smallest level of proof to even rule yes on the protective order. 

Here’s what I’ve come to, what percentage of adults 18-50 haven’t engaged in what would be considered rough sex?  So now the debate will be what the general public feels is “too rough”. With dating apps, and DMs, and consenting adults, the cops must see this stuff all the time. 

If they’re consenting adults, and obviously the cops/judges thought they were, then just like other issues, we should stay outta people’s bedrooms.

This all has nothing to do with what I posted.  Signing Bauer is likely a PR headache for whichever team signs him.

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think he’s the exact opposite of Tim Tebow. 

I would think some team will break and give him a shot.  One of the teams that have a chance to win it all.  

But maybe there is an unofficial blackballing thing going on with him.  Like Bonds and Canseco said happened to them.   

7 hours ago, Gurgi said:

But maybe there is an unofficial blackballing thing going on with him.  Like Bonds and Canseco said happened to them.   

But that would imply "COLLUSION" which we have been ASSURED was NEVER a thing, lol. I think a certain other SP looking for a 2-yr contract AND a guarantee of SP may also "say" me too!! 

FTR I don't care about Bauer OR his personal life choices, you play with fire you are likely to get burned. IF, and it's a BIG IF, he could be put on a NO INTERVIEW, NO SOCIAL MEDIA exposure (no pun), etc restriction legally, I would be OK with a MLB minimum contract (with performance clauses (no pun) to see if he can still get MLB hitters out. The second he mouths off, acts out, causes trouble in the clubhouse, any other reservation thinkable, his ass is gone, as in don't let the door hit you in the A$$. He will NEVER be a redemption case that could be a marketable story unless he can exercise a level of self control he has never demonstrated before.

If he doesn't get picked up by a club, he may have to make his money by suing MLB.  He was deemed guilty by the league before the presentation of any evidence.  Then he was blackballed and made into a pariah.  I think he would have strong case for a lawsuit for a lot of money lost. 

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

If he doesn't get picked up by a club, he may have to make his money by suing MLB.  He was deemed guilty by the league before the presentation of any evidence.  Then he was blackballed and made into a pariah.  I think he would have strong case for a lawsuit for a lot of money lost. 

Good luck making that case in front of a jury.