Guest coaches

Frobby

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Put Brady Anderson on that list and let’s see how many of you love it. 

I guess I'm not one of the fans who elevated Brady to super villain status. I understand folks have issues with Anderson, I get it. In a limited cheerleader role, I would be okay with it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why?  He was a real coach for several years.  This seems like a fun gig.  

I actually was not aware of that. Never mind!

He just always struck me as a guy who was kind of done with baseball and done with the city of Baltimore, but maybe not.

1 hour ago, Orioles West said:

I guess I'm not one of the fans who elevated Brady to super villain status. I understand folks have issues with Anderson, I get it. In a limited cheerleader role, I would be okay with it.

Anderson's crime was not leaving a cushy job where he got to do what he loved. Dunning-Kreuger suggests he might not have even been aware he was bad at it.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I actually was not aware of that. Never mind!

He just always struck me as a guy who was kind of done with baseball and done with the city of Baltimore, but maybe not.

He actually holds a Special Advisor and Community Ambassador title with the club.  I think that involves appearing at various clinics and events held by the Orioles around the city from time to time.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Orioles West said:

I agree with this. Brady hurt his reputation during the three-headed monster regime at the end of the DD/Buck era amongst those of us who follow the Orioles very closely. But to the average fan and the fact that Brady is a positive guy overall, why not? 

I see these things as a very Buckish type of thing to do and I like it. It's bringing back former Orioles to impart some old stories and be more of an ambassador to previous successful histories of the Orioles. 

I doubt any are going to impact any player good or bad in the few days that they are there, so this is just kind of a feel good thing. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I don’t think too many guys that made 80MM+ in the league go on to coach.  

This got me wondering who was the wealthiest ex-player to become a major league manager or coach.  Best I can come up with is Matt Williams, who made $78.9 mm.   He made roughly double the next guy I found, Phil Nevin at $39.6 mm.  

Carlos Beltran, who was named manager of the Mets but never served due to the trash can lid scandal, made $221.9 mm, so he would have dwarfed anyone else.  

Did I miss anyone obvious?

I'm always interested in what kind of value an ex-player brings to coaching. The game has changed radically in the past 7-10 years. Coaching staffs, with the Braves being an intriguing exception, are getting younger and data scientists are those who can interpret the data generated are having a very large say in how the game is played. Palmer and MacDonald are entertaining color analysts, but what do they bring to the table as coaches? I ask because I truly don't know. Seems like a question for @Just Regular or @btdart20.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This got me wondering who was the wealthiest ex-player to become a major league manager or coach.  Best I can come up with is Matt Williams, who made $78.9 mm.   He made roughly double the next guy I found, Phil Nevin at $39.6 mm.  

Carlos Beltran, who was named manager of the Mets but never served due to the trash can lid scandal, made $221.9 mm, so he would have dwarfed anyone else.  

This made me think of Connie Mack.    It was new to me in the story below the guy he sold to also owned Yankee Stadium, inaugurating the quick end of the Philadelphia A's, start of the Kansas City A's, and that Club being to some extent a de facto MLB farm affiliate of the Yankees.    At least these days we can get Cole Irvin.     The story didn't have the sale price Mack got after ~50 years of ownership.

Lords of the Realm organizing a syndicate indeed.    Maybe Steve Cohen shouldn't have invested in Scherzer and Verlander, but tried to buy the Orioles!

https://calltothepen.com/2016/10/28/athletics-history-mack-family-sells-team-arnold-johnson/#:~:text=During their time in Philadelphia,the team to Arnold Johnson.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Barry Bonds made 188M and was the Marlins hitting coach for one season.  McGwire made 74M and was Cardinals hitting coach for 3 seasons.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I'm always interested in what kind of value an ex-player brings to coaching. The game has changed radically in the past 7-10 years. Coaching staffs, with the Braves being an intriguing exception, are getting younger and data scientists are those who can interpret the data generated are having a very large say in how the game is played. Palmer and MacDonald are entertaining color analysts, but what do they bring to the table as coaches? I ask because I truly don't know. Seems like a question for @Just Regular or @btdart20.

Its kind of you to mention, but I'm no resource there.    My kiddo's Little League time included gems like "baseball kind of seems like a waste of time".    I know some of the posters have shared they are doing the Driveline training and/or have high performing family members.   

People like Dave Cameron and Sig Mejdal have come far - we're just 16.5 years past Cameron's Open Letter (may or may not have been from his mom's basement) to the Mariners pitching coach how he was failing Felix Hernandez.     Cameron was kind of the MVP of Fangraphs writing when it was better, and is now Mariners Senior Director of Player Procurement.   I don't know of course, but I sense his presence in the structure of that Julio Rodriguez contract.    They may have overpaid for Jorge Polanco because he's as sick of watching Adam Frazier and Kolten Wong man 2B feebly for a couple years as any given OH poster.

http://www.ussmariner.com/2007/06/27/an-open-letter-to-rafael-chaves/

https://www.mlb.com/mariners/team/front-office

• Upvote 1