Agree or Disagree: We MUST add 1 more starting pitcher....

DocJJ

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Regarding #3, I argue that one more injury to a protected starter puts us in the extremely untenable position of having to start Bruce Zimmermann.

We had good depth but we are using almost all of that depth to cover two injuries. A third really could screw us. 

IMO there's no real debate that we are in serious need of another decent SP. 

I just think it's more of a cross that bridge when we get to it situation to me since none of the FA SPs (other than Snell or Monty) really move the needle. I'd rather them invest or trade for another bullpen arm. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Lorenzen being an upgrade to them is the issue.  He’d be insurance in case another starter goes down.  

Well, he would allow either himself or one of them to be pushed into the pen, which is needed. 

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I just think it's more of a cross that bridge when we get to it situation to me since none of the FA SPs (other than Snell or Monty) really move the needle. I'd rather them invest or trade for another bullpen arm. 

I would absolutely take a bullpen arm. 

20 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's a fair point, but I'd rather see them trade for a bullpen arm then sign a Lorenzen type starter (in a perfect world). 

As long as it is a difference making BP arm, im Fine with that.  But something has to be added.

Edited by Sports Guy

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I don't think time is that tight yet for Michael Lorenzen or Zack Greinke to pitch Game 5.

6 week spring training was when Sutcliffe needed to get up to 110 pitches - 4th and 5th starters will often be TTOP hooked after 72 pitches even if they are doing okay.

It’s February. There are at least 166 games before you need to concern yourself with Game 5. 

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Signing a FA at this point is asking a lot. They probably wouldn’t be ready for a while.

Now, that doesn’t mean you don’t sign one but you almost have to prorate their salary to not include the first month.

I should of read this thread before commenting on Lorenzen in the other one.  I think signing Lorenzen makes the most sense at this point.  You think if we signed him now he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season?

Clevenger or Lorenzen makes the most sense on a 1 yr deal. 

The problems with trades is that values just don’t match up well. 

Luzardo - Mayo/Basallo are too much to give up, but Westburg/Cowser/Kjerstad aren’t enough value to be the centerpiece. 

Cease - Westburg is too much to give up, but Cowser/Kjerstad are aren’t enough as centerpieces. 

I’d roll with Clevinger and have Wells in the pen. 

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I should have read this thread before commenting on Lorenzen in the other one.  I think signing Lorenzen makes the most sense at this point.  You think if we signed him now he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season?

What worries me about Lorenzen is did he go all out in his contract year and also the no hitter?  I think we’d be buying high on him, but I do like the he could go to the pen as a setup man if need be. 

I like Clevinger more because I think he’s more likely to have a better year. Also, the Padres, and CWS, were the two teams in baseball that really underperformed, so who knows what the coaching/analytics/defense/catching situations had do with any of his struggles. He was on some good Cleveland teams. 

17 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I should have read this thread before commenting on Lorenzen in the other one.  I think signing Lorenzen makes the most sense at this point.  You think if we signed him now he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season?

Well we don’t know how much he is throwing right now.  If you signed him today, he may be able to get up to speed to be in the pen or maybe as the 5th starter but I think it’s cutting it close at this point. You don’t need a 5th starter until April 3rd, so maybe he can get a little extra throwing done in extended ST before coming up.

He is 2 weeks behind in terms of a ST throwing program, so it would need to happen soon for him to not be delayed in the season.