Agree or Disagree: We MUST add 1 more starting pitcher....

DocJJ

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well we don’t know how much he is throwing right now.  If you signed him today, he may be able to get up to speed to be in the pen or maybe as the 5th starter but I think it’s cutting it close at this point. You don’t need a 5th starter until April 3rd, so maybe he can get a little extra throwing done in extended ST before coming up.

He is 2 weeks behind in terms of a ST throwing program, so it would need to happen soon for him to not be delayed in the season.

You don’t really know what these guys are able to do on their own these days.  He’s probably not just sitting on his couch at home.  Most of these guys are throwing bullpens before they ever get to camp.   But, it’s definitely not a good thing to be getting to camp less than a month before the season starts (which will be the situation in a couple of days).  

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I doubt Lorenzen would sign here. He wants to start all year I'm sure.  He'll pick a team with a clearer need like the Giants or Red Sox.

I'm sure we could find ways to have him start as many games as Lorenzen will typically give a team. Bradish is likely not coming back, and if he does he'll be babied. Means doesn't have a ton of innings in him, just going off his track record. Wells you can put in the bullpen where he's needed. They used a 6-man rotation for a month or so last year. There's plenty of room IMO. 

Burnes
Grayson
Means
Irvin 
Lorenzen

That gets you to the All Star break at least, where you can hopefully add a Bradish-level SP to pair with Burnes ahead of the playoffs. 

Edited by interloper

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You don’t really know what these guys are able to do on their own these days.  He’s probably not just sitting on his couch at home.  Most of these guys are throwing bullpens before they ever get to camp.   But, it’s definitely not a good thing to be getting to camp less than a month before the season starts (which will be the situation in a couple of days).  

This is true but they also don’t want to do something where they get hurt and really screw themselves out of money.

Kremer is down about 3mph and throwing a lot of balls today. 92 mph Kremer is not going to cut it. Pretty concerned there might be an injury. 

EDIT: He did hit 94 on his final pitch and managed to have a quick 2nd inning. Still, something to keep an eye on. 

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Kremer is down about 3mph and throwing a lot of balls today. 

92 mph Kremer is not going to cut it. Pretty concerned there might be an injury. 

He averaged 94 last year and it’s the first spring outing. Maybe the sky isn’t falling?

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

He averaged 94 last year and it’s the first spring outing. Maybe the sky isn’t falling?

Hope so! I just remember him hitting 97 at times last year he comes out tossing 91.5 today for most of the first inning. That's enough to give my Orioles paranoia brain the alarm bells. Hopefully you're right though. 

On 2/27/2024 at 10:23 AM, webbrick2010 said:

More concerned about  the back end of the bullpen

Don't have much confidence in Kimbrell being even league average

I agree, but Tyler Wells is a better solution than any remaining free agent.  Signing Lorenzen would allow us to put Tyler Wells back in the bullpen where he belongs.  

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hope so! I just remember him hitting 97 at times last year he comes out tossing 91.5 today for most of the first inning. That's enough to give my Orioles paranoia brain the alarm bells. Hopefully you're right though. 

I mean considering Bradish and Means, I get the concern. But, the other way to look at that is if they thought he wasn’t healthy, we wouldn’t see him pitching.