Santander wants O's extension.

jabba72

“I would love that,” Santander said in the clubhouse Tuesday of signing an extension. “That’s something that we always talk about outside of this room with my family and friends. I would love to stay here. We leave that business side to the front office. We’re just here to live in the moment right now, prepare ourselves. We have a nice group and I really think we can make it longer in this postseason with these players.”

Orioles’ Anthony Santander, entering final year of contract, ‘would love’ long-term extension (msn.com)

I guess it makes sense seeing how Hays spoke out a full two years before he reaches Free Agency, that Santander makes his feelings known as well. The O's just have so much corner OF depth behind him, I dont see an extension coming. It still doesn't hurt to ask. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Would any baseball player approaching 30 years old and the end of their arbitration years say they don't want an extension?

Sure.  Corbin Burnes is the same age as Santander, and also a year from free agency.  He’s made it pretty clear he’s not interested in an extension.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Sure.  Corbin Burnes is the same age as Santander, and also a year from free agency.  He’s made it pretty clear he’s not interested in an extension.  

Santander isn't exactly a market-setting type of Free Agent that Burnes probably will be, not that that means anything. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

Santander isn't exactly a market-setting type of Free Agent that Burnes probably will be, not that that means anything. 

Well, sure.  But some players prefer security and continuity, others prefer to have a full range of options and want to bet on themselves.  

If Santander has another season similar to last year, he could be looking at 4-5 years, $80-100 mm as a free agent.  Thats not market-setting, but it’s not chicken feed either.