Santander wants O's extension.

jabba72

9 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Does Santander get more or less then Bellinger?  Who would you rather have the next 3 years?  

He won't get as much as Bellinger. I think a baseline is set near Haniger 3/43.5 from last year, and Soler 3/42 this year. Santander could potentially do better than that, but he'll be closer to that than to Bellinger's 3/80 with opt outs. 

I like Santander too, but the whole notion about what the O's can and can't afford to do is about to be reset, so he may as well throw his hat in the ring early.  That said, I suspect that the entire 2024 starting outfield will be gone by Opening Day 2026.  Extensions will and should be reserved for top-tier talents like Henderson, Rutschman and Holliday and perhaps Mayo and Basallo IMO.

27 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

He won't get as much as Bellinger. I think a baseline is set near Haniger 3/43.5 from last year, and Soler 3/42 this year. Santander could potentially do better than that, but he'll be closer to that than to Bellinger's 3/80 with opt outs. 

Of course it depends how Ssntsnder’s year goes.   If he has a similar year to 2023, he will do better than Soler or Haniger IMO.  Both those guys are 2-3 years older than Santander will be next offseason, and have been very injury prone in recent years.   Haniger was coming off a really poor season.   

No way he gets anything approaching Bellinger’s AAV.   He might get $80 mm, but only over 4-5 years.  And that only happens if he has a good 2024.

14 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I don't think the Elias model extends someone like Santander. He gets replaced by a much cheaper prospect.

Didn't someone post some stuff a while back showing that players like Santander are very common and easy to recreate?

The average team produces fewer than one position player of Santander’s quality or better per year.  So is it “easy” to replace guys like that?  I’d say no.  

Edited by Frobby

Oh, the unfairness of it all. Those we'd like to extend - Boras. Those that would like an extension - Boorus when it comes to the extension idea. I know they don't boor us, (just me with a poor attempt at humor) plus Anthony and Hayes are Orioles who have paid their dues during this rebuild. But there is good argument re no extension and instead trade for future chips before they hit free agency. Isn't it neat though to have arrived at a place where players want to stay here and come here? Speaks even more to what Elias has built. Regardless, each will forever have a special place in my fandom. They have well-earned wherever the business of baseball takes them.

3 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Switch hitting, middle of the order, hits equally well from both sides, beloved in the clubhouse, wants to remain long term.
Maybe he doesn’t fit into our plans beyond 2024, but I’m a big fan. 

This. The fact he can hit for power and contact from both sides of the plate increases his value and the contract that he will get. He's a big wildcard headache for the opponent's manager to deal with when deciding the pitcher. Which means he's an excellent asset/player to have for anyone managing Santander.