Julio Teheran Flyer

George Zuverink

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

How? What's the worst that can happen? 

In my opinion, Teheran has zero left in the tank. If it was just a standard minor league signing, who cares. But we gave him a 100K signing bonus and his MLB salary is $2M.

It's not a disaster or anything, but there has to be someone out there for less money with more in the tank.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

In my opinion, Teheran has zero left in the tank. If it was just a standard minor league signing, who cares. But we gave him a 100K signing bonus and his MLB salary is $2M.

It's not a disaster or anything, but there has to be someone out there for less money with more in the tank.

If you are correct about him having nothing left, then he will never earn a promotion to the MLB team.   So the $2 million is irrelevant.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed with both points. There is little downside here. But if the opt out is end of March then it may not really be "AAA depth" signing. In that case, it is more likely to be 5th starter for the MLB team, he goes somewhere else, or he sucks and disappears. If the opt out is later (which I didn't even think of), then the AAA depth outcome is more likely. 

The opt out probably is at the end of ST. The O’s get to see if all five of Burnes, GR, Kremer, Wells, and Irvin, are healthy and ready for OD. JT gets to see if there is an MLB job available to him. 

So this is a ST depth signing more so than a AAA depth signing. For now…. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The opt out probably is at the end of ST. The O’s get to see if all five of Burnes, GR, Kremer, Wells, and Irvin, are healthy and ready for OD. JT gets to see if there is an MLB job available to him. 

So this is a ST depth signing more so than a AAA depth signing. For now…. 

Agreed, that is the point I was trying to make and a good way of looking at it.

Let's say Teheran is a bridge until Means or Bradish come back? Last year he was good for his first six starts. 

I have no idea how much he has left in the tank of anything, but if he looks good, maybe we can keep Wells in the pen where he could be used in more high leverage situations? 

Either way, they're only risking 100k to take a look. Seems like low risk move, especially with him showing some success with the cutter last year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, waroriole said:

If Wells and Irvin open the season in the rotation, who’s the long man? I guess Zimmerman can fill the role for a short time but it’s nice to have another option. We could really use Spencer Watkina

I didn’t know there was an opening for clubhouse janitor. 

Michael Lorenzen is right there and has had more recent success (and he offers much more reason to expect near-term success), but sure, let's roll with the ghost of Julio Teheran as our insurance against further rotation injuries. Y'know, it would be really cool if the Orioles actually acted like a team that wants to win right now instead of punting another offseason, but I guess we might as well appeal to the thunderstorm. 

Yes, I am being somewhat hyperbolic here, but it's about a month until opening day and Dean Kremer is currently projected to be our #3 starter behind a #2 with less than a year of MLB experience and we are one injury away from Julio Teheran or Bruce Zimmerman being in the MLB rotation. That doesn't exactly project "WS contender" vibes.

And before anyone takes umbrage with my use of the term "punting" to describe this offseason, I will preemptively point out that Burnes and Kimbrel were lateral moves, not upgrades- Burnes merely replaced Bradish, whose potentially season-ending injury was already known to the organization at the time of the trade, and Kimbrel was signed specifically to fill in for Bautista while he recovers from TJS. There have been no actual upgrades made to the team this winter.

So yeah, we punted. Again.

But hey, maybe Teheran will be better than Matt Harvey and Wade LeBlanc if we end up having to run him out there in games that actually count.

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Michael Lorenzen is right there and has had more recent success (and he offers much more reason to expect near-term success), but sure, let's roll with the ghost of Julio Teheran as our insurance against further rotation injuries. Y'know, it would be really cool if the Orioles actually acted like a team that wants to win right now instead of punting another offseason, but I guess we might as well appeal to the thunderstorm. 

Yes, I am being somewhat hyperbolic here, but it's about a month until opening day and Dean Kremer is currently projected to be our #3 starter behind a #2 with less than a year of MLB experience and we are one injury away from Julio Teheran or Bruce Zimmerman being in the MLB rotation. That doesn't exactly project "WS contender" vibes.

And before anyone takes umbrage with my use of the term "punting" to describe this offseason, I will preemptively point out that Burnes and Kimbrel were lateral moves, not upgrades- Burnes merely replaced Bradish, whose potentially season-ending injury was already known to the organization at the time of the trade, and Kimbrel was signed specifically to fill in for Bautista while he recovers from TJS. There have been no actual upgrades made to the team this winter.

So yeah, we punted. Again.

But hey, maybe Teheran will be better than Matt Harvey and Wade LeBlanc if we end up having to run him out there in games that actually count.

1. They were trying to get Burnes before the Bradish injury 

2. They clearly expect Bradish to come back. 

So no, not a lateral move. 

Just now, dystopia said:

1. They were trying to get Burnes before the Bradish injury 

2. They clearly expect Bradish to come back. 

So no, not a lateral move. 

1. That is completely irrelevant.

2. They also expected Dillon Tate to throw more than 0 pitches at the MLB level last year.

So yes, a lateral move until Bradish returns and pitches well, which is far from guaranteed.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I don’t really understand how this isn’t a standard minor league signing.  Obviously he’s going to earn more money if he makes the big league team.  That’s how it works. 

It’s not your $2MM so why does the amount matter?  It’s not like payroll is maxed out and this will prevent us from making future moves.

Do we have the money to sign Lorenzen or Clevinger?

2024 salaries with replacements in parenthesis.

$3.5 million for O’Hearn(Kjerstad/Cowser)

$2.7 million for Mateo(Holliday)

$2.1 million for Urias(Mayo)

That’s $8.3 million for bench bats where we have replacements.  Doesn’t seem like a luxury we can afford?  Unless, Clevinger/Lorenzen want much more than $8.3 million for 2024+.  We could re-allocate that $8.3 million into the rotation, while picking up possible relief help, or A ball prospects.

38 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

1. That is completely irrelevant.

2. They also expected Dillon Tate to throw more than 0 pitches at the MLB level last year.

So yes, a lateral move until Bradish returns and pitches well, which is far from guaranteed.

Sounds kind of like Monday Morning quarterbacking. 

I don’t disagree that they should add more pitching I just disagree that they’ve “punted”. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Do we have the money to sign Lorenzen or Clevinger?

2024 salaries with replacements in parenthesis.

$3.5 million for O’Hearn(Kjerstad/Cowser)

$2.7 million for Mateo(Holliday)

$2.1 million for Urias(Mayo)

That’s $8.3 million for bench bats where we have replacements.  Doesn’t seem like a luxury we can afford?  Unless, Clevinger/Lorenzen want much more than $8.3 million for 2024+.  We could re-allocate that $8.3 million into the rotation, while picking up possible relief help, or A ball prospects.

Who do we get for the rotation for $8.3 million?  

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Sounds kind of like Monday Morning quarterbacking. 

I don’t disagree that they should add more pitching I just disagree that they’ve “punted”. 

“Punted” is certainly a weird way to describe an offseason where we traded for a Cy Young winner. 

• Upvote 1