Do the Orioles have a type? ๐Ÿ˜†

NedFromYork

7 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Well, most black American kids don't like baseball. So, MLB teams are going to be mostly white dudes, black Hispanics and Asians

The reality of the situation is that MLB does very little if anything to actively market itself to the African-American community. And their annual "celebration" of Jackie Robinson might have started out as something that was genuine, but it's evolved into a self serving "yep, we checked the box again this year" thing. Which is really unfortunately because it's not just holding the sport back from a diversity perspective, but also from a talent perspective. They have an entire pipeline of talent right in their own backyard that they continue to le be monopolized by the NFL and NBA.ย 

I'm willing to chalk up the team's lack of diversity (if any) to the Oriole's complete ineptitude in the international market for YEARS. I suspect we'll see things start to balance out over the next five years or so now that we seem to have finally caught up with the other teams in that regard.ย 

All that said, I find it hysterically how many of what I suspect are predominantly white males are getting triggered by a silly little meme. And this is coming from a white male! Loosen up buttercups.ย 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm willing to chalk up the team's lack of diversity (if any) to the Oriole's complete ineptitude in the international market for YEARS. I suspect we'll see things start to balance out over the next five years or so now that we seem to have finally caught up with the other teams in that regard.ย 

All that said, I find it hysterically how many of what I suspect are predominantly white males are getting triggered by a silly little meme. And this is coming from a white male! Loosen up buttercups.ย 

I don't think it's even a white male thing, you can be a white male and not look like the guys in the meme.

Those guys look remarkably alike.

You aren't going to confuse one for Trey Mancini.

That being said, it's just a meme for the lolz.

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The reality of the situation is that MLB does very little if anything to actively market itself to the African-American community. And their annual "celebration" of Jackie Robinson might have started out as something that was genuine, but it's evolved into a self serving "yep, we checked the box again this year" thing. Which is really unfortunately because it's not just holding the sport back from a diversity perspective, but also from a talent perspective. They have an entire pipeline of talent right in their own backyard that they continue to le be monopolized by the NFL and NBA.ย 

The reality is, the sports the kids of different cultures and backgrounds enjoy playing has nothing to do with marketing efforts of the professional leagues of those sports.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

The reality is, the sports the kids of different cultures and backgrounds enjoy playing has nothing to do with marketing efforts of the professional leagues of those sports.

Yeah, ok Jimmy The Greek. Whatever you say.ย 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know, Mac Horvath exists.ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mac%20Horvath%20Mug_binary_6897792.jpg

Sure, but Bradfield is almost being penciled in as the O's CF in two years. Horvath is going to have to put up huge numbers to get anyone's attention. Not saying he wont, just that the O's expect a lot more out of Bradfield.

Just now, jabba72 said:

Sure, but Bradfield is almost being penciled in as the O's CF in two years. Horvath is going to have to put up huge numbers to get anyone's attention. Not saying he wont, just that the O's expect a lot more out of Bradfield.

Was just a joke