VPN Options

ChuckS

Moving next week from DC to Fairfax County and finally fed up with cable and the price increases that I want to try the combination of MLBTV package plus VPN.

Anyone who has gone the same route have a good VPN recommendation? 

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Moving next week from DC to Fairfax County and finally fed up with cable and the price increases that I want to try the combination of MLBTV package plus VPN.

Anyone who has gone the same route have a good VPN recommendation? 

I use Express VPN and like it.  There are plenty of worldwide locations to choose from and I haven't had any service outages for three years.  However, sometimes MLB will block an IP address if they learn it, but switching to another location has always resolved the problem.  Also there is occasionally some difficulty loading a game which I attribute to the website understanding that a VPN is being used.  That said, the ability to watch just about any game at any time is worth the minor hassle to me.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I use Express VPN and like it.  There are plenty of worldwide locations to choose from and I haven't had any service outages for three years.  However, sometimes MLB will block an IP address if they learn it, but switching to another location has always resolved the problem.  Also there is occasionally some difficulty loading a game which I attribute to the website understanding that a VPN is being used.  That said, the ability to watch just about any game at any time is worth the minor hassle to me.

I've used 3 over the years and I agree that ExpressVPN has been the most reliable. I like its visual design as well as it's easier to navigate on my Mac. 

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Agreed. It's $12.95 per month and worth every penny.

With the Orioles giving the MLB package to season ticket folks I am looking into VPN as well. Since I am in a location in Virginia, I would be blocked from Oriole games. 

I am a full streamer and have an ATT mobile router. Looking at Norton360, NordVPN and Express VPN. 

Cost for each is reasonable, you can pay for a year or two and get costs down to less than $5/month. 

My issue is I am not really that literate on high tech issues. But it sure would be nice to see the Os without having to pay DirectTV a hundred bucks or so a month. 

It looks like each of these methods have been successful for some of you. I appreciate the data that you guys are supplying. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, foxfield said:

With the Orioles giving the MLB package to season ticket folks I am looking into VPN as well. Since I am in a location in Virginia, I would be blocked from Oriole games. 

I am a full streamer and have an ATT mobile router. Looking at Norton360, NordVPN and Express VPN. 

Cost for each is reasonable, you can pay for a year or two and get costs down to less than $5/month. 

My issue is I am not really that literate on high tech issues. But it sure would be nice to see the Os without having to pay DirectTV a hundred bucks or so a month. 

It looks like each of these methods have been successful for some of you. I appreciate the data that you guys are supplying. 

FWIW I think a VPN is an essential component of overall internet hygiene anyway, but there are more that a few services like facebook and instagram that throw a lot of resources at making it hard to log on using one, so keep that in mind.  MLB does not have a vested interest that I can see in preventing in-market streaming other than they no doubt have a contractual obligation to respect existing cable businesses so they have to make an attempt.  Dead men walking every last one of them if you ask me, but it will take a while longer for all that to work itself out.  Living outside of Nashville, Braves, Cardinals and Reds games are all normally blacked out in my market which is ridiculous.

Last year, Fox, ESPN and Apple games were all unavailable live and having a VPN made no difference.  Count me among those who feel slightly cheated by that arrangement.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

FWIW I think a VPN is an essential component of overall internet hygiene anyway, but there are more that a few services like facebook and instagram that throw a lot of resources at making it hard to log on using one, so keep that in mind.  MLB does not have a vested interest that I can see in preventing in-market streaming other than they no doubt have a contractual obligation to respect existing cable businesses so they have to make an attempt.  Dead men walking every last one of them if you ask me, but it will take a while longer for all that to work itself out.  Living outside of Nashville, Braves, Cardinals and Reds games are all normally blacked out in my market which is ridiculous.

Last year, Fox, ESPN and Apple games were all unavailable live and having a VPN made no difference.  Count me among those who feel slightly cheated by that arrangement.

I am slowly exiting FB, but still have Twitter.  These "Free" things are stealing from us and selling their access to others.  I am personally not a google fan either, but it is what is is and we won't solve that here.  Thanks for the above.